MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

What is an accident, what is negligence, what is criminal negligence?

Baldwin is almost certainly going to get off, as he is less culpable, ie merely negligent, rather than the props lady (what's her name?) who for some reason doesn't seem to be the focus of the media headlines. They found five (!) live bullets on the set, so this was as the saying goes, "an accident waiting to happen".
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Five live rounds? In the Mexican desert? A model of moderation. It's true the film was a cheapie (part paid for by Baldwin) and 'corners were cut' but I refuse to believe anybody (apart from the 'armourer', apparently a routine personage on American film sets) should be 'the subject of enquiries'.

In gunless Britain we call it 'misadventure' and shrug over the odd corpse when Hamlet thrusts the wrong sword through the Arras. We're not exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to actors though we are running short of Arrases.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Five live rounds? In the Mexican desert? A model of moderation.

That could explain the prosecution, if it was known then there was live ammo on set, then a chance of a wounding or fatality becomes reasonably forseable. Alec won't then have the defence that he was not following the industry standard, of always checking your gun is safe before pointing it at someone, along the lines "Nobody checks, everyone knows that filming would never take place if live ammo is on a set, I had no reason to believe that there were live bullets amongst the blanks and dummies etc". This also might be a possible defence for the armourer, she was rigorous in her checking, the bullet came from elsewhere.

So you might be right.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Telling It Like It Is Part One
Moonstone Crystals https://www.moonstonecrystals.co.uk ›
The Megalithic Empire by M.J. Harper
product-page £9.99 Price.
Genre: Fiction.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Telling It Like It Is (Part Two)

Goodreads has got a page for Revisionist Historiography (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63356739-revisionist-historiography)

I don't mind there are no reviews, I do mind that it claims my other two books are 'A Handful of Seashells' (which ain't by me) and 'Missing Persons' (which is, but was withdrawn from publication more than a year ago).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Unlike everyone else, Goodreads corrected their records as soon as it was pointed out to them. And then invited me to do the same with my other books -- which I am endeavouring to do. Efficient and nice, a very unusual combination in the world of books.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Your opinion matters!
Michael harper, do you have a moment?
We'd love to know how everything worked out with you.
Please take a moment to review your most recent item(s).
Revisionist Historiography
Start by rating this item
Your reviews will be posted on Amazon

I'm going to give it four stars. It's very good but a lot of it seemed familiar.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's not just drugs that fuels the Mexican economy, they're big on literary swindles as well. A bloke I know converted a book of his to Kindle and then set it at the minimum price allowed (77p) as a loss leader. Within a day this appeared

An Unreliable History of the Second World War
(English Edition) Edición Kindle
Edición Inglés por M J Harper (Autor)
Formato: Edición Kindle
4.2 de 5 estrellas 3 calificaciones
Ver todos los formatos y ediciones
Kindle $17.87
Leer con nuestra Aplicación gratuita

And it's also into food swindles because on the very same page it says

Pasta blanda $393.00
1 Usado de $570.15
3 Nuevo de $393.00

People wanting to buy it for 77p (and then reporting back any squinty-eye reading difficulties -- Kindle is moveable type) can do so here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BTMCPPXN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3IADNSJ2W2DPI&keywords=unreliable+history&qid=1675335482&s=digital-text&sprefix=unreliable+history%2Cdigital-text%2C93&sr=1-4
Grant

I posted my five star review. Did I do good?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Oddly, since you made your 'Hitler' point when the book first came out, I have had multiple occasions to concur. Every programme/series about the Second World War has Hitler in the title, whether he actually features or not. So 'Hitler's Secret Defences' (or whatever) might devote several episodes to Japanese ones.

Unfortunately I have higher standards. I would have lowered them if I had known.
Grant

No, five stars for the new book. I don’t think I mentioned Hitler but I am obsessed with him so may have done unconsciously
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sorry, it was Sutton

He also missed a trick. If you want to write a book about WW2 put Hitler in the title. I'd have called it "How Hitler Could Have Won the War" and put a few more chapters in about the special one. (I suppose he might have got the wrong readers but a sale's a sale.)

This had never occurred to me before but thereafter I noticed the phenomenon on Cable TV. Where I suppose all the closet-Nazis hang out. Except, as I've pointed out before, we are all closet Nazis in some respect or other. Or, in the case of women and suchlike, have sex with them.
Grant

Sorry, crossed wires. I meant the review I posted of the new book under the moniker Sutton.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Oh, I thought that was Chris Sutton. I shall have to stop sending him poison-pen letters now. There was not just one review but two! [Which proves I don't go and check in the morning as well as the afternoon.]

Sutton wrote:
Five stars I first read Harper when I found his History of Britain Revealed in a charity shop for 50 pence. That book showed that the English language dates back to Roman times and the academics have got it all totally wrong when they claim it is a fusion of French and Anglo-Saxon. It would be nice to say that he was refuted by academia as a nut job, but instead his compelling arguments were just ignored.

Undeterred, he’s now written a book expanding his revisionism to include Casanova and Pepys, the Dark Ages and early Christianity.
If you are a young academic I beg you to read this book. (If you are an old academic stick with the textbooks.) Your brain will be rewired and you’ll see your chosen discipline in a radically new way.

At thirty quid it was a bit more expensive than the first book, but it’s well worth it. All you have to ask yourself is do you want to swallow the red pill and transform your understanding of history? It’s a genuine question because it’s always easier to stick with the crowd. Harper is for genuine free thinkers only. Report abuse

No way. Chris Sutton is the sort of person who presses charges.

Nick Weech wrote:
4.0 out of 5 stars A place to begin one's revision of history Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 28 January 2023

I admit I found it a bit hard to get into this book- but kept going and I'm really glad. Mr Harper has a good style which engages with the reader; while he doesn't patronise he obviously knows a lot about this subject. He lightens his theme with touches of humour, which are very welcome and helped me continue.

He takes several examples from common history, which we all 'know' from school, and proceeds to revise them. It's like being taken through a whole new way of looking at what we thought we already knew. Having followed the steps with Mr Harper, one can employ similar strategies oneself for other topics. I thoroughly recommend it.

If people who thoroughly recommend it give it four stars and academics give it one star, it'll soon settle down to three stars. Well, do you buy books rated as three star?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Spot The Odd Man Out

reply to Five Evilest People to Have Existed to Date
https://themysterywriter.medium.com/five-evilest-people-to-have-existed-to-date-9de442f31385

Adolf Hitler
Mao Zedong
Genghis Khan
Joseph Stalin
Rupert Murdoch

Genghis Khan. All the others were intellectuals.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 143 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in