MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

We shall know soon enough
En cours de livraison
Arrive aujourd'hui avant 21h
Commandé le 15 décembre
Expédié le jeudi 29 décembre
En cours de livraison
Voir les informations mises à jour
Livraison prévue aujourd'hui
Livraison par Amazon
Ajouter des instructions pour la livraison
Adresse de livraison
Mme Laurence des Cars
Musée du Louvre
50 Rue du Louvre
Paris 75001

He may not have heard of the Louvre and it being in the Rue du Louvre may confuse him, but it shuts at five o'clock sharp so he'd better get his skates on. I wonder what's at 52. I don't know Paris that well. I've been twice but both times passed beneath it on the Metro so I never even got to see the Eiffel Tower. Or 13, Rue d'Eiffel as we postal freaks call it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well I have certainly caused a minor furore in central Paris. About five different people were eventually jabbering away at me in Franglais telling me that the Louvre was not in the Rue du Louvre 75001 Paris. It's in the Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris. (I had accepted an Amazon suggested correction of the address.) When I asked my interlocuteurs just to deliver it to the Louvre they said, "Ze Louvre is a big place, monsieur" and when I said, "Donnez le paquet à l'homme à ... er... the front door", he'd know who the Director was, they said no, I would have to ask Mme des Cars to personally pick it up 'from the post office'. Me and La Directrice are not all that close and I didn't know how she was fixed timewise so I declined the suggestion.

After arguing a bit amongst themselves they were finally unanimous that it was all my fault for providing a wrong address and that the package would be 'returned to Amazon' whatever that means -- it's never happened to me before. For a book of mine to cause such excitement is greatly heartening.
Grant

You’re a Tour de France fan so you should have known. On the last day they cycle down the Rue de Rivoli five times and the commentators mention the Louvre five times
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, but there's a sign "Deliveries round the back". Mr Know-All.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have now received two emails but there is no indication which refers to which book. (Or possibly the same book.) Nor can I translate them since French Amazon doesn't allow you to press a button.

Bonjour Michael,
Malheureusement, nous avons rencontré un problème lors de la tentative de livraison. Une nouvelle tentative est prévue.
Si vous souhaitez que votre colis soit déposé dans un lieu sûr, veuillez mettre à jour les instructions de livraison sur la page
Suivre votre livraison. Commande n° 403-4821707-8755565.
Veuillez noter que ce message vous a été envoyé depuis une adresse ne pouvant recevoir d'e-mails. Merci de ne pas y répondre.

Bonjour Michael,
Votre colis a été livré au concierge ou à la réception de l’adresse de livraison indiquée.
Comment s'est déroulée la livraison ?
Excellent Médiocre
Suivre votre colis
Informations sur la commande
1 article Commande n° 403-2890588-3797142
Retourner ou faire remplacer des articles dans Vos commandes.

I'll ask Hatty when she gets back from Hogmanay. If she gets back, it's often touch-and-go when she straps on the claymore and pipes.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They've found the Louvre! And at a familiar address, Mr "Boulevardier" Grant

Delivery by Amazon
Delivery address
Ms. Laurence des Cars
Louvre Museum
50 rue du Louvre
Paris 75001

But the Bibliotheque nationale de France is still closed

Delivery attempted today at 11:52
Unfortunately, we encountered a problem during delivery.
We will make another delivery attempt.
Delivery address
Ms Laurence Engel
National Library of France
Quai Francois Mauriac
Paris 75706

I wait with trepidation what will happen when they try to deliver the books due to arrive at the British Museum and the British Library next week. "Ooh no, it's more than my job's worth. Amazon, you say? That's a river, isn't it?"
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is all good news, entre nous. The big problem is getting the book onto the desk of the dude (in France, dudess) who you want to read it. The book slags off all these institutions something wicked but if it gets waylaid by some junior functionary they'll just bin it. Or do nothing. It will look nice on his shelves. How many of those other books do you think he's read? Somehow you've got to finesse these lower echelons because only the bloke at the top is in a position to (a) know what you're talking about (or hinting at) and (b) get even the mildest abdabs that you've fingered the institution he's responsible for. Anything that gets itself noticed -- for whatever reason -- is more likely to be shifted upwards because it's never wrong to cover your back.

Now I don't have any illusions about Top Cat binning it with equal rapidity but he can only do this by sending it back down the chain. But where? How? "Mrs Cholmondeley-Brown, could you take this to the incinerator in the basement?" I don't think so. The status you really want to achieve is a book they don't know what to do with. It'll DFN.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You Be The Judge (Guardian Saturday Review)

Should my boyfriend stop leaving the sponge in the kitchen sink?

I'm sitting on the fence with this one. I mean, come on, sweetiepops, he's doing the washing up, be thankful for small mercies. And let's face it, there never is anywhere to put a soggy sponge now that sinks are precision-engineered marvels of ergonomic design. But I understand where you're coming from. It irritates me too even though I know it was me that left it there.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

How to deliver a book to the biggest library in France

Thursday, December 29 The package has been shipped.
15:37 The package arrived at an Amazon center Kleinostheim, Bavaria DE
22:30 The package has left the Amazon center Kleinostheim, Bavaria DE

Friday, December 30
07:32 The package arrived at an Amazon center Lauwin-Planque, Hauts-de-France FR
15:23 The package has left the Amazon center Lauwin-Planque, Hauts-de-France FR

Saturday 31 December
00.17 The package has arrived at the final delivery agency Bonneuil, FR
08:29 In the course of delivery
08:57 First delivery attempt. A second attempt will be made the next business day
11:52 Delivery attempt
15:36 The package has arrived at the final delivery agency Bonneuil, FR

Monday January 2
08:25 In the course of delivery Bonneuil, FR
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Monday January 2

13:15 hrs The phone rings. Somebody gabbles to me in French. I say, "Parlez vous anglais?" He gabbles some more. Honestly, he ought to know he's a foreigner. Anyway after some exchanges in which the words Bibliotheque and nationale figure quite prominently, I hear him shrug. You really can, even over the phone. Then, I think he says I'll have to come and collect it myself. Presumably he thinks I am Mme Engel. I say (with some pride), "Je suis en Londres." There is a silence and the phone goes dead.

13:30 hrs The phone rings. I think it's the same man and the word 'colis' is said several times in a sort of stream-of-consciousness which, let's face it, is what the French language amounts to. It is my turn to shrug. He says, "Ah oui," and the phone goes dead. I will await the email and get Hatty to translate it. Why didn't I just give French Amazon her number in the first place? A rookie mistake. Un mistake rookie.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Bibliothèque nationale de France is the national library of France
It is the national repository of all that is published in France.
Address: Quai François Mauriac, 75706 Paris, France
Hours:
Monday 2–8pm
Tuesday 9am–8pm
Wednesday 9am–8pm
Thursday 9am–8pm
Friday 9am–8pm
Saturday 9am–8pm
Sunday 1–7pm
President: Laurence Engel
Staff: 2168.3 (2021 average)

So everything seems correct... and yet

We are sorry for the problem encountered with your delivery. The package is returned.
We will refund you within 5-7 business days of processing the return.

We can only conclude therefore that when French courier services cannot deliver to business premises because (1) they've turned up before the business has opened for business (2) when it's closed for a national holiday and (3) when it is closed on Monday mornings, and consequently have experienced three failures, it's

Return to sender, address unknown
No such person, no such zone
I gave a letter to the postman
He put it in his sack
Bright early next morning
He brought my letter back
Return to sender
Return to sender
Return to sender
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's not as if it's all that important. The book only says that the Bibliothèque nationale is the unwitting dupe of one of the greatest literary scams in world history

In 2010, thanks to the support of an anonymous donor, the manuscript was purchased by the Bibliothèque nationale de France for over $9 million, the institution’s most expensive acquisition to date.

A co-conspirator in one of the greatest literary hoaxes in world history

The natural source for the Encyclopédie is, of course, the Bibliothèque nationale de France. However, they do not seem to have all of it online via their “Gallica” digital library website. (Volumes 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11 are missing, as is the last volume of plates.)

And the repository of a forged book that is supposed to have led to the dominance of papal Christianity in pagan Europe

Irish and Anglo-Saxons led by St Willibrord, Apostle to the Frisians, set out to convert Europe
Willibrord’s body: Echternach, Luxembourg
His gospel book: Bibliothèque nationale, France

but other than that I gave them a clean bill of health. And now they'll never know! That's my legion d'honneur gone.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have received a Delivered! email from Evri accompanied by a photo of my book clad in its Amazonian packaging amidst a pile of other similar packages at an undisclosed location at or near the National Library of Wales. Since the NLW is one of the statutory libraries that can claim a copy of any book published in the UK, we can assume all the other packages are books. The clue is in the name. What now?

My package is addressed to the Director by name and has a message urging him to read pages so and so to so and so where the NLW is slagged off with a viciousness that compels some kind of reaction. However (a) will it reach his desk? (b) will he read the pages? and (c) will the consequences be to my advantage? There is a reasonable probability the answers are Yes, Yes and No. If he is a wise man he will do absolutely nothing (why pour petrol etc). If he is a foolish man he will do nothing (it's a rant from an English nutter). But there is the slim possibility he is neither wise nor foolish enough.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I always include the date when naming new Word dox to prevent confusion but the last few all have 030122, 050122 and so forth which may be confused with similarly dated dox from the start of last year. Except I made the same mistake then as well. It normally takes well into February for the situation to settle down. Why doesn't Microsoft have a pop up 'Do you mean this year?'?

PS I did have a momentary panic when I thought this year might be 2022 and actually had to check.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One step forward, two steps back

Unfortunately, we ran into an issue when attempting your delivery. We will try again.
Delivery Address
VICTORIA & ALBERT MUSEUM
CROMWELL ROAD
LONDON SW7 2RL

On the other side of town it was also Sunday

Unfortunately, we ran into an issue when attempting your delivery. We will try again.
Delivery Address
NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY
2 ST MARTINS PLACE
LONDON WC2H 0HE
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 141 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in