MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 177, 178, 179  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I was just about to complain to Amazon when I noticed

Logitech Signature K650 Wireless Keyboard with Wrist Rest, AZERTY Belgian - Grey

You never know what to look out for in these multicultural times of ours. I thought it was a factory in Belgium and marvelled how they could deliver it to me next day.

PS Belgian grey is what we call 'off black'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My new £13.50 (away with mad experimentations with quality) Logitech keyboard arrived less than 24-hours after complaining to Amazon. This time it came with no instructions at all. Luckily I'm an old hand and guessed the wire thingy had to be plugged into the computer socket thingy. The computer is an old hand too and told me in successive pop-ups, "Mick, you've just pulled out the old one and put in a new one" and "Stop kvetching and start typing." Or words to that effect, they had vanished before I could jot them down verbatim.

The only problem now is to learn how to use a QWERTY keyboard after my exile in the land of AZERTY.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Back-to-back unexpected impresario dreams last night (they usually feature a rather hapless Mick Harper wandering lost around some near-familiar landscape). The first one had me as the proud designer of some sort of Tudor Torture Experience (I had been watching Wolf Hall ). It was a mock-up of an idealised Tower of London and the only feature I can now remember is that it had an unmarked door positioned in such a way that schoolchildren were sure to nick off from the official party to go over and open it. Whereupon they were confronted by a figure thoroughly disfigured by torture (I hope played by an actor) and which clearly suggested this was a real, working torture establishment, not a mock-up at all.

The next one had me as the builder of the Dharma Bum Railway (its actual title in the dream). This was a single track tourist railroad that wound round a mountain in India. Two steam trains chugged up and down sufficiently slowly that whenever they met something or other happened quite safely. On the opening day I was standing proudly on the footplate of the first train going up and it was only when I observed the train coming down couldn't see us because it was always going round a steep curve that I realised I had miscalculated. I was charging up the track waving my arms in the air when I woke up.

Obviously they were about sex but more than that I cannot say.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Post Office are up to their tricks again. First they told me

Due to be delivered today by Notting Hill DO

Three times I was summoned to the door, three times it was a different carrier delivering parcels to other people in the house. Then at five past two I got

13:59 Delivery Attempted - Address Inaccessible
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your parcel today, Thursday, 22 December 2022.
We will attempt to deliver it on the next working day.

And when is that, pray?

CWU members are taking national strike action on 23 and 24 December 2022.

25th and 26th are Christmas Day and Boxing Day, the 27th and 28th are apparently Post Office holidays

Hi Michael Harper, We’ll arrange a Redelivery on:
Thursday 29 December 2022

But meanwhile another email has arrived

Thursday 22 December 2022
14:20 Item due for Redelivery

It is now 14:50 so I think that was by way of a little joke. Roll on Easter.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Or maybe not. I have received another email. Harper delivery duties have been shifted from those ooh-it's so-inaccessible fainthearts at Notting Hill DO to those all-terrain, all-weather, pony express-style people at Paddington DO

Thursday 22 December 2022
15:19 Due to be delivered today by Paddington DO

but it's now 15:55 so probably just another tease. Still, they're doing their darnedest, you've got to hand it to them, If only they'd hand it to me. Or even put a 'We Called' card through the letterbox on any of their alleged visits.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

To nobody's great surprise, they signed off at 18:30, dropping the rhyme or reason

Hi Michael Harper
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your parcel today, Thursday, 22 December 2022.
We will attempt to deliver it on the next working day.
We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Actually I'm beginning to feel sorry for their inconvenience. It can't be easy trying to make a profit delivering parcels with this degree of complexity.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I will though offer up a tentative explanation for the difference between Royal Mail and the commercial carriers. The latter get paid per parcel delivered so once they get to my house they have a fairly high motivation to unite me and my parcel. They are companies that occasionally sack employees. Posties get paid for completing their round, and have a high motivation to finish the round in the fastest possible time irrespective of delivered or undelivered parcels. They work for a company that never sacks anyone.

They are also regulars. My house is on their round. As regulars they know it takes them a bit of time to climb the steps to my house and and then more time waiting for me to climb the stairs from my basement. It is easier to just skip my house and claim I wasn't in, and which is why they never leave a We Called card. But it also means they have no way of reminding the next postie (or maybe themselves some days later) not to use the same dodge again lest I get vexed.

An ordinary commercial company would take notice of three visits in rapid succession by three different employees to a person who didn't hear the bell each time. Employees who rang all the other bells and none of those people heard their bells either. Employees who didn't leave a We Called card to commemorate their visits, to tell the would-be recipient what to do about it. It would be, however small, a meaningful event prompting, however small, an action of some kind.

You have all dealt with the Post Office, what do you suppose will happen if I complained? (As I have had to do occasionally in the past just to get the wretched thing delivered at all.) The reasons change (it will be 'the strike' this time, I imagine) but it will certainly not be treated as a meaningful event. It is entirely routine.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The son of a cousin of mine (is that a second cousin?) is featured, large as life, on the front page of the Guardian. There is no merit involved, it is a stock photo of him watering a plant at Kew, where he works, being used to illustrate a report from the world diversity conference in Canada. Why there, they've only got spruce? But that's not the point. About my second cousin, I mean. I'd give my eye teeth to appear on the front page of the Guardian. I would die happy after appearing on the front page of the Guardian. And he's already done it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sarfaraz Ali Posted Dec 13
Why do some people act less intelligent than they really are?
Sarfaraz Ali, studied at Yale University

Certainly not people who use the formula 'studied at Yale University'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My parcel arrived today which, to be fair, is a day ahead of the (re)schedule. I also got an email to that effect

Hi Michael Harper
We delivered your parcel today, Wednesday, 28 December 2022.
How did we do?
Please tell us with our short survey

Take survey

I don't normally but on this occasion I couldn't resist. It required my post code to start proceedings. It asked whether I would recommend Royal Mail to others on a nought-to-ten scale to which I gave a nought (which I thought generous but it is Christmas). This prompted a box asking me to explain why I had done so, in which I itemised the three unsuccessful visits and the three not-left-cards. The survey finished on this ominous sounding note

We thank you for your time spent taking this survey.
Your response has been recorded.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Good new game this Christmas -- and by God Christmas needs one. Someone says some monotone words. Let's say "I won't be afraid". If no-one guesses the song, he loses a point for being too obscure. If someone does, both get a point. Then someone plays the answer (Ben E King's Stand By Me) on his Spotiphone (or whatever, I leave these things to the young people) and everyone has a thoroughly good singalong (except the young people). And then it's on to the next one!

Good for a whole hour. Especially when one of the oldies gets up and starts dancing to Marvin Gaye but crashes through the coffee table. I'm also available for bar mitzvahs.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Royal Mail have decided to shaft me on a new front.

Do you have a book of stamps in your wallet, purse or drawer at home?

I do as it happens. A whole bleedin' drawerful left over from book marketing binges over the last twenty years.

If so, you need to be aware that the official deadline for using up stamps without barcodes is 31 January 2023. Stamps without a barcode will no longer technically be valid for postage after that.

A nuisance but fair enough if these new barcodes will improve the service.

Royal Mail introduced barcodes to "enable exciting new services". The barcoded stamps let people watch and share “exclusive” Shaun the Sheep videos, one of which has a Christmas theme (it involves the flock’s efforts to make sure Bitzer, the farmer’s dog, gets his fair share of Christmas cards this year).

Not to improve the service then. Still, never mind, stamps is stamps. I'll hand 'em in at the post office. Will they give me cash or new barcoded stamps?

However, Royal Mail issued this plea: “Please do not try to exchange your stamps at your post office branch, as they will not be able to do this. You can only do this directly with Royal Mail.”

By getting a form at the post office, filling it in and then sending the stamps to Royal Mail. I'll use Fedex for that, the stamps are quite valuable, all told.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Ever heard of oud? 'Course you haven't because I hadn't. It's perfumed wood that's created by a couple of south-east Asian tree species that produce an anti-something when being attacked by pests (or just nature). Valuable is it? Put it this way: a Japanese consortium offered twenty-three million dollars for a single tree and got turned down.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I think Royal Mail must have taken over the French postal services. This morning I got this

Livraison tentée aujourd'hui à 8:57
Malheureusement, nous avons rencontré un problème lors de la livraison.
Nous effectuerons une nouvelle tentative de livraison.
Ajouter des instructions pour la livraison
Expédié avec Amazon Adresse de livraison
Mme Laurence Engel
Bibliothèque nationale de France
Quai François Mauriac
Paris 75706

For those of you who didn't study French on a daily basis for five years at school this can be understood as meaning

Delivery attempted today at 8:57
Unfortunately, we encountered a problem during delivery.
We will make another delivery attempt.
Add delivery instructions
Shipped with Amazon Delivery address
Ms Laurence Engel
National Library of France
Quai Francois Mauriac
Paris 75706

Well, Monsieur Postie, the Bibliothèque nationale de France is one of your fine country's finest institutions so here are a couple of suggestions:
1. Try again after nine o'clock when it's open
2. Failing that, try again on the deuxième of janvier when the holidays are over.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Unless word is out and every major cultural institution in Europe has instructed its concierges to refuse delivery of any package that might contain Revisionist Historiography. It's fifty-fifty, I'd say.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 177, 178, 179  Next

Jump to:  
Page 140 of 179

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in