MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 177, 178, 179  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

A curiosity is how the only bit of Marxism that really became mainstream is the Leninist analysis of wars and imperialism. It gave middle class lefties the excuse to ignore the so-called Labour aristocracy in their own homelands and concentrate on the colonial exploitation of folks abroad, the needs of incoming migrants, and other exploited groups, who were not in well paid jobs.

Business has been willing to oblige this global fantasy by outsourcing abroad, and selling ethically for profit, untroubled since the seventies by home-grown union power.

Mason's attempts to organise homeless musicians against the bomb, with refugees against border controls, and tree lovers aginst nuclear power, all into a mighty popular front agianst fascism, might work arithmetically in his own mind, as lots of young folks, migrants, want to embrace these causes but there again..... they also want to buy their own houses.......bit like the Labour aristocracy.....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Mason came out with a classic bit of Marxism: capitalism requires ever-growing production/markets. So he blamed Global Warming on capitalism. This is both neat and true. We wouldn't be in this mess if we had taken his advice and been queuing all day for a loaf of bread.
Wile E. Coyote

To put Mason's piece in context, which is arguably overstating the threat.

In 2020

US GDP= ($20.94 trillion)

China=($14.72 trillion)
Italy ($1.886 trillion),
France ($2.603 trillion),
Germany ($3.806 trillion),
U.K. ($2.708 trillion).
Canada ($1.643 trillion),
India ($2.623 trillion),

Russia’s GDP is ($1.483 trillion)

That's smaller than the UK.......are they really going to invade?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As I say, Russia may aspire to equality but the only thing it is equal in is fookin' tanks and once you've driven them up to the border and pointed their guns at someone what else can you do but go home again? China would never make this mistake. Even America's given it up. Mostly.

Oh, yes, and energy supplies.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

46 Tesco mini sausage rolls. I bought them as an investment but they were a bit more-ish.
Wile E. Coyote

Faced a bit of a quandary in Sainsbury, as could not decide which item to purchase for the homeless food bank. You can't go for "Taste the difference" as this is only encouraging dependency, and the "Basics" range signifies to others that you are plain mean.

Still, to help folks like Wiley, Sainsburys has started getting rid of the Basics range and putting on different labels like "JJames" "Greengrocer" or "Imperfect" on its products designed for shoppers that want to give to the homeless food bank. This was a neat idea, until I found out what was going on, trouble was once I had worked it out, it weighed on my conscience and started leaving a rather nasty taste in the mouth. Bit like I imagine it would for the homeless. No, this would not do.

In the end I sorted it, after about 20 minutes' creative looking I opted for a tin of Fray Bentos. I triumphantly announced this at the till, "It's for the homeless", just to make sure that nobody thought I was intending to eat these "war rations", only to be told the Food Bank were not collecting.

It's a nightmare.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I may start going to food banks myself. Before, I was too poor so I would have stood out amidst the primary school teachers and NHS staff, but as the fashion dwindles I may be able to slip in towards the end of a sesh without getting 'the look'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Joke Of The Day

One of his best known donations was the ninth-century ivory Franks Casket from Northumbria with its runic inscriptions.

Runes make museum curators breathe more easily.
Wile E. Coyote

A guy is visiting the museum of natural history. He is examining some fossils and asks a curator how old they are.

"Those fossils are 65 million years and six months old" says the curator.

"How can you be so precise"

"Because the sign below the exhibit says they are 65 million years old, and I started here six months ago."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yours is more universal, yes, but mine is funnier. As long as you are old enough to remember "Tunes makes you breathe more easily". Fortunately the readership age profile of both this site and my books falls comfortably in this range.

Except for Hatty who always says, whenever there are questions in our Zoom quizzes about TV in the Golden Age, "We couldn't afford a television." They probably couldn't afford cough sweets either so it wouldn't have mattered. If only they had had food banks in her young day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Statistics Guardian-Style

More than eighty per cent of the population could neither read nor write, including most women
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Every time I go shopping I either forget the eggs or I forget the bacon. There's a medical term for this but I can't remember what it is.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

At the end of December someone called Jayson Frascatore posted up an article on medium.com entitled The Most Useless Language Learning Method I’ve Ever Tried, And Why It Fails. On 10 Jan I posted up what I thought was an innocuous reply

I came across an even worse method. It's a bit complicated to explain but basically it involved sitting in a room with thirty other people of my own age with an old geezer at the front waving his arms about and being horrible to us. We did this every day for five years (less time off for good behaviour). Afterwards we all passed an exam in it but could neither speak nor understand the language for any practical purpose. It was French by the way though I did spend a couple of years doing the same thing in Latin and German. Not that I'm fluent in maths or science either.

Yesterday someone called 'chong chi' replied to my reply with
stfu

I had to Google it but apparently it stands for "Shut the fuck up". I seem to be getting a lot of intemperate criticism lately. Is it me or is it SAD.?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

KitKat honeycombe. What's the verdict? Yes, it's a million billion times better than ordinary KitKat but is that enough? Heritage questions are not to be resolved by the simple brandishing of numbers.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
KitKat honeycombe. What's the verdict? Yes, it's a million billion times better than ordinary KitKat but is that enough? Heritage questions are not to be resolved by the simple brandishing of numbers.

Eh? You are trying to ask the question, what is better a Ka or a Mondeo?

KitKats are flogged to tea drinkers, Kit Kat honeycombe to coffee drinkers........

It depends what you drink.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 177, 178, 179  Next

Jump to:  
Page 116 of 179

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in