MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

My hackles are starting to twitch...

First, I discover (last night) that Mick has been surreptitiously garnering information regarding my musical proclivities, then this morning I receive a message from Google asking how I liked the China Rose Restaurant. (A subtle threat?)

Mick's the only person who knows my wife and I were dining out last night, and only Google have the network of drones capable of pinpointing the precise restaurant. They obviously tipped Mick off, so he could send his operative around to dig the dirt on my didgeridoos. (Where was Hatty last night?)

I've taken to wearing dark glasses and I've lined my bush hat with aluminium foil.

I suggest the rest of you take similar precautions.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

only Google have the network of drones capable of pinpointing the precise restaurant.

When I had to restart the TV I noticed the name that came up on the screen is Huawei. Should I be worried?

(Where was Hatty last night?)

(Depends on who wants to know)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

What did the Nazis ever do for us? (No. 884)

Fanta. Invented by German Coca-Cola distributors during the war when the syrup could no longer be supplied.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I read about this bloke who had a mattress delivered but is stuck with the old one – never mind all the polythene the new one came in – and being as how he hasn’t got any friends, he can’t get it up the stairs so is probably going to have to spend the rest of his life manoeuvring his way round stuff. You wouldn’t believe it possible in a wealthy country like Britain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You've Got To Be So Careful Department

Adele faced accusations of cultural appropriation yesterday after sharing an instagram picture showing her wearing a traditional African hairstyle while marking what would have been Notting Hill Carnival
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This bloke I was telling you about was discussing the problem with a colleague of his, hoping she would say, "Why don't I drive over and give you a hand?" but instead she said, "Leave it under the new mattress, like the princess and the pea."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Colin Kaepernick to Join Medium Board of Directors
Today, we announce that civil rights activist and athlete Colin Kaepernick will be joining our Board of…

Every time I find some promising outfit -- promising because it claims to be promoting diversity of opinion -- it appoints an American football quarter back to oversee that diversity.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A quick commendation for cheap white sliced bread. You know the ones I mean -- Tesco Own Brand Econo-Loaf 27p. Why? Two reasons

1. They fit in your toaster which, for instance, Warburtons Thick-sliced Toasting Loaf £1.27 doesn't.
2. They contain all those disgusting chemicals that keep it moist and scrummy unlike Warburton's No Additives Premium Farmhouse £1.27

Not available at Waitrose.
Grant

It’s not really 27p is it? I thought our local market’s sourdough was good value for three quid
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You had me worried so I checked and, yes, the 27p is mysteriously 'unavailable'. (Toasting loaf: 50p) Those bastards watch me like hawks. Ask 'em how long their sourdough culture has been going. For that money it should have been kept warm under a prospector's armpit since at least the Californian Goldrush.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Courses You Wished You'd Signed Up For

Professor Wouter Jacobus Hanegraaff (b. 1961) is one of the founding figures of Western Esotericism studies in Europe, having held the post of first President of the European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism (2005–2013) and being made professor of History of Hermetic Philosophy and related currents (at Amsterdam University).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Should it be legal for unscrupulous manufacturers to put a dozen McVities Zingy Orangey Jaffa Cakes (their words) in a special economy pack and then arrange for some county line supplier to deliver it to the front door -- no, the fridge door -- of some vulnerable person?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have just been awarded a major upgrade of Windows Ten (major, as calibrated by the three hours it took to install). I awaited with dread the usual dire consequences. This morning it took the form of being summarily divorced from the internet but I resolved that within the hour. Now, something more serious. My red wiggly lines have ceased to operate as I type these words. This too I can cope with but I may have to leave correcting Ishmael's spelling to Hatty. I have left Sweeden as it may be a deliberate joke.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I signed up to an American Deserts discussion group to engender some interest in my Desert YouTube (it didn’t) but the usual serendipitiy is taking place wherein I discover all sorts of interesting things. It started with this clarion call from presumably a native American (if they are still called that)

Our land was taken. But we still hold the knowledge of how to stop mega-fires – Bill Tripp

White man misses point:

I met Bill Tripp on a field trip by invitation of the Karuk Tribe on the Klamath River CA in 2019 and can attest their fire crew was excellent on the prescribed fires

Now comes some on point if dumbed down news

OpinionWildfires This is a really good illustrated comic-form article explaining that not all fire is bad or destructive, and addresses fire-adapted plant communities in Canada, and Indigenous tribal use of fire. This all applies equally to California fire-adapted plant communities, including the desert grasslands of the eastern Mojave.

They're just as lovey-dovey over there as our enthusiasts are over here

Really appreciate you sharing the tribal perspectives on fires and their long-standing experiences in the landscape

But finally we get someone who has a smidgeon of scientific curiosity

Out of scientific curiosity, does anyone have a good idea as to how the landscape was in regard to fires and biodiversity say in the two or three centuries or so before the first Americans arrived on the North American continent? Since the peopling of North America was likely a gradual process, this question might also focus on areas in a region-by-region manner as the peopling of the continent progressed.

But just as quickly it gets closed down and orthodoxy reigns. No pun intended

You’d have to look about 20,000 years in the past. Archaeologists keep finding earlier evidence of human habitation too.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's something obvious that I hadn't thought of

"ET [evapotranspiration] reductions due to forest thinning by wildfire could approach 10% of full natural flows for dry years"
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/eco.1978

1) Rainfall decreases from some external factor (ex hypothesi, the diminution in the Western Effect from overgrazing on the Mongolian steppe)
2) The consequent drought in California promotes forest fires
3) The destruction of trees in California reduces the Western Effect of the interior of the United States
4) The consequent drought in the interior promotes forest fires there
5) And so on across the United States until the Eastern Effect operates
6) There is at least one feedback loop since (4) leads to a reduction in the Colorado and increases (2)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 83 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in