MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will computers become conscious? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

What makes me physically sick is that I have, at unbelievable cost, endless kerfuffle and years of waiting, finally got my hands on a computer with Windows 8 installed but after two weeks of walking tall among my peers, I have just caught sight of an ad on the telly for ... Windows 10. Dear God in his heaven, I was falling further and further behind while running as fast as my little legs could carry me.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

My computer keeps inviting me to install Windows 10 now but Newsnight's live-in techie advised waiting so that Windows could iron out the teething problems. I don't mind as I rather dread updating but I suppose it'll have to be done especially as I'm still using Windows 7!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Windows 7. You're pathetic.
Hatty
Site Admin

I got a computer originally because my sons explained it would help with homework. They seemed to be quite diligent.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If you'd got a computer and played endless games on it like any self-respecting person you wouldn't have had any sons.
Hatty
Site Admin

By downloading Windows 10, it seems you'll get a talking personal assistant, Cortana, who looks and even sounds like that semi-human-robot from Humans except you probably can't have sex with her. If it's Windows 7 with apps and stuff, I think I'll pass.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I think you're right. You and Windows 7 are well suited. It's the number one software package in Papua New Guinea by the way. Not on the coast obviously.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I really think it's time that those of us with Windows 8 should be able to signal our presence to one another when out and about. Nothing extravagant, in fact it may be as well not to alert the general populace to the fact that an elite is gradually coming together, ready and willing to take the reins when the call comes.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
Windows 7. You're pathetic.

Indeed.

My day job has stuck its heels in. Any new desktop computers that have Windows 8 or 10 pre-installed are being downgraded back to Windows 7. Living on the bleeding edge of new technology was fun when we were teenagers or being paid to con cough I mean advise customers on what to spend their IT budget on. These days, it is technically known as a fecking waste of time.

Meanwhile back at Chateau Boreades we are migrating away from M$ to Linux stacks as fast as we can. Next time you call by, one of my teenage children can start you on a personal development course.

Win8 was for the gullible. Win10 is for the optimistically gullible.
Boreades

Hatty wrote:
By downloading Windows 10, it seems you'll get a talking personal assistant, Cortana, who looks and even sounds like that semi-human-robot from Humans except you probably can't have sex with her. If it's Windows 7 with apps and stuff, I think I'll pass.

Cortana is, at least, better than that bloody awful paperclip character that we were cursed with in M$ Orifice.

Stay with Win7.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
I really think it's time that those of us with Windows 8 should be able to signal our presence to one another when out and about. Nothing extravagant, in fact it may be as well not to alert the general populace to the fact that an elite is gradually coming together, ready and willing to take the reins when the call comes.

I love the subtle irony. The reins, for most Win8 users, are usually passed through the ring in their noses. To lead them into green pastures new, papered with M$ bills
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Look, Borry, you're yesterday's people. Get used to it.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Look, Borry, you're yesterday's people. Get used to it.

Sorry, I'll just bow to your IT expertise and step to one side while you relaunch this dreadfully 1990's-looking website in a modern web framework that you can administer all by yourself.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Do you think so? I'm really rather proud of it. I've yet to come across another website that looks better, reads better.
Boreades

Looks better in the style of a classic Times newspaper printed on hot metal - timelessly elegant, but using obsolete technology. My Dad would approve. Your pride and joy is powered by phpBB version 2. The phpBB team stopped supporting that on January 1, 2009. It also uses Javascript version 1.2 dating from 1996. The current version is 1.8.2.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in