MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will computers become conscious? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Well my job is to be supportive. The replies reflected orthodoxy.

My own attempts to undermine the establishment are on Noggin.

Good Luck.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Orthodoxy is not be avoided at all costs -- especially in such a relatively obscure corner of the sporting world (unlike my 'saloon bar' diatribes about footie orthodoxy). However I must say I suspect your own views are delivered from a different orthodoxy, that of the enthusiast pining for the days before the Beeching Cuts never to return. A much more dangerously delusive position than mere orthodox orthodoxy.

You have my permission to plead guilty.
Wile E. Coyote

Chess has never been better for the enthuiast, free live coverage, on line games, free data bases. You get to play against the odd GM at blitz chess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI_ji_3ZT8c
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, I wondered whether the playing as opposed to the watching was flourishing. However here I am only concerned with the watching. Our correspondence led me to inspect this Saturday's Guardian chess column

This week's London Classic at the Olympia Conference Centre [my word!] has produced an epidemic of draws, with only two decisive results out of twenty-five in the first five rounds ....

Many elite grandmasters reckon that a loss in a short nine-round contest will put them out of the running. They therefore adopt a cautious style, especially with the black pieces ...

What can be done about all these draws? ...

The Classic could solve its draw problem if it became like the Hastings Premier in the 1930's which included the legends Alekhine and Capablanca ...

I have offered three reasons for the decline in popular avidity since 1930: 1) Soviet dominance 2) 'positional' chess 3) computers. Although all three are obviously orthodox (even trite) I would like to hear your explanations, Wylie, for the decline in public rapture, always assuming you accept it has occurred.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You get to play against the odd GM at blitz chess.

I am reminded of Derren Brown's celebrated feat of getting a par result playing simultaneous chess against a roomful of masters. How did you get on? I once played against the English Schools Champion (he was at our school) and was amazed at the dazzlingness of the defeat I suffered.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
You get to play against the odd GM at blitz chess.

I am reminded of Derren Brown's celebrated feat of getting a par result playing simultaneous chess against a roomful of masters. How did you get on? I once played against the English Schools Champion (he was at our school) and was amazed at the dazzlingness of the defeat I suffered.

Normally I lose, but at Blitz you will score the occasional win even against good players if you move quickly and have a bank of positions you understand well. Longer games there is less of a luck element. Against a better player, you really need to take them into irrational positions (a swamp) whereby neither side knows what's going on, to maximise your chances. Of course this risks a very short humiliating loss, but heyho, you have to boost your slim chance of success somehow.

Showy finishes are fairly easy to pull off (for most strong players that study tactics it's mainly pattern recognition, based on double attacks) what is difficult is building up the small advantages to overwork the opponent's defences so the tactics work. The threat as they say, is stronger than the execution.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
Yes, I wondered whether the playing as opposed to the watching was flourishing. However here I am only concerned with the watching. Our correspondence led me to inspect this Saturday's Guardian chess column

This week's London Classic at the Olympia Conference Centre [my word!] has produced an epidemic of draws, with only two decisive results out of twenty-five in the first five rounds ....

Many elite grandmasters reckon that a loss in a short nine-round contest will put them out of the running. They therefore adopt a cautious style, especially with the black pieces ...

What can be done about all these draws? ...

The Classic could solve its draw problem if it became like the Hastings Premier in the 1930's which included the legends Alekhine and Capablanca ...

I have offered three reasons for the decline in popular avidity since 1930: 1) Soviet dominance 2) 'positional' chess 3) computers. Although all three are obviously orthodox (even trite) I would like to hear your explanations, Wylie, for the decline in public rapture, always assuming you accept it has occurred.

There are a lot fewer short draws now than in the past, because of anti draw rules. London has a problem with draws as the current fad is to invite the highest rated players to this type of tournament. If you invite the top 10 players in the world they are evenly matched. If you invite 10 of the top 30 you will have more decisive games. Hastings always used to invite some top players with a number of Brits, there was a massive gulf of difference in standard. The top players would draw amongst themselves and target the helpless locals.
Wile E. Coyote

The reason why folks love sport is to see players' reactions. Magnus Carlsen is well known for being a tad difficult to interview after a loss. Still it's in his contract so Grand Master Maurice Ashley had to try.

International Master Jennifer Shahade, head down, is trying to hide a fit of the giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_xnWFdxMvQ
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Jump to:  
Page 10 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in