MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will computers become conscious? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hmmm...

I just upgraded from Vista.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

As I say ... popular in New Guinea.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I am fast becoming the master of Windows 8 rather than the other way about by reading a very useful book called Windows 8 For Dummies. However in order to fully appreciate the subtleties of this fine work I need to track down the companion volume Windows 8 For Dummies For Dummies.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

A very charming bank manager (they usually have a 'Personal' in their title) wants me to set up online banking, she's even suggested bringing in my laptop so we can go through the registration process together, but as I mainly use the bank to pay in royalty cheques I'm hardly a regular visitor and in any case it's a short way from home. {If most people use online banking the queues will be shorter for everyone else anyway, but I didn't say that}

Meanwhile TalkTalk, my provider, has been successfully hacked and those with online banking will presumably be the main targets. So why sign up for a service you don't need?
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
...as I mainly use the bank to pay in royalty cheques....

Well that's good news! And somewhat encouraging.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Not in the least encouraging...that's the reason why I almost never go into my bank...
Ishmael

oh darn
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Blimey a silicon beast has humiliated a Go grandmaster, Jesus these computers are hellbent on world domination.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/27/google-hits-ai-milestone-as-computer-beats-go-grandmaster
Wile E. Coyote

The Go computer has now trounced the world champion Lee-Sedol, which is very good/bad news for humankind. The higher balance of "fuzzy" thinking, vis-a- vis "concrete" calculation in Go, meant that it was more difficult for a Go computer to overcome a champion, than it was for Deep Blue to overcome a Gary Kasparov.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/12/alphago-beats-lee-sedol-in-third-consecutive-go-game

Clearly the computer has a huge advantage in brute force calculation, and is not subject to the usual human weaknesses, eg tiredness, optimism, pessimism, distraction (the pretty legs of the woman in row 2) etc....

Still, this must in part be based on improved fuzzy thinking......
Wile E. Coyote

Listened to a radio interview about this. They have improved the intuition/fuzzy thinking.

They programmed the computer with examples of good human go games and got it to learn (presumably by prompting?) from these.

They then extended this by proving these positions by calculation.
Ishmael

I don't believe any of this. Its all hyperbole. These systems are not "learning." There's no "fuzzy thinking." The machines are merely calculating out every single possible move.

Give the human the ability to change just one rule of the game and the machine will not be able to cope.
Wile E. Coyote

Ishmael wrote:
The machines are merely calculating out every single possible move.

Just not possible. The machine can only calculate so far .....at the end of a variation (and let us not forget, many variations are non forcing) it has to evaluate.

The machine is learning by playing millions of trial games against itself and resetting its evaluation function on the basis of results.
Wile E. Coyote

Improving....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoLBlDQxG7w

Still....
Wile E. Coyote

https://www.rt.com/viral/376904-google-mind-game-theory/

Deep Mind, the London-based artificial intelligence unit of Google’s parent Alphabet Inc. has been running a series of simulations aimed at answering the key AI question .... will the robots become the next generation of workers, carers, err sex partners..... OR will the evil synthetics choose to ELIMINATE US.

HUMANS on channel 4 covered similar ground.

It's about time somebody checked this out as I suspect it's the latter.
Wile E. Coyote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/14/can-solve-chess-problem-holds-key-human-consciousness/

75 years after Bletchley Park sought codebreakers in the Second World War by placing a crossword in The Telegraph, scientists are again inviting readers to pit their wits against a new conundrum to find the quickest minds.

The puzzle coincides with the launch of the new Penrose Institute, founded by Sir Roger Penrose, emeritus Professor at the Mathematical Institute of Oxford, who shared the World Prize in physics with Professor Stephen Hawking in 1988 for his work on black hole singularities.

So he devised a chess problem.

AEists can try their skill?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 8 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in