MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will computers become conscious? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

OK I lied.......
nemesis8

It is chess and really we are pretty unsure about how it developed.
But of course if it exists it must have an inventor .....and if we don't have an inventor we must have a "primitive earlier version" As chess is "logical" the primitive version must involve more chance.
Right.....So we have dice......
nemesis8

We are trying to answer a question.....

Who is smarter you or the computer?

You know you are smarter, you are after all a human...but recently you have developed a nagging feeling that your silicon friend is becoming a bit of a "smartypants" a "know it all"....
nemesis8

In fact you have developed a tendency rather than think problems through.... You Google it.....
nemesis8

Clearly you need to reassert your superiority........and demonstrate your brain power. You after all... are smarter than your computer......
nemesis8

Robert James Fischer was born in Chicago on 9th March 1943. His mother Regina (the Latin term for Queen) was born in Switzerland, she apparently spoke six languages and was a committed liberal....

Bobby's mum and dad had split at the time he was two and he never met his father from that age.

Grant...you seem to know about Bobby's dad...Can you help with a few details?
Grant

This is in Wikipedia so it must be true:

A 2002 article by Peter Nicholas and Clea Benson of The Philadelphia Inquirer argued that Paul Nemenyi, a Hungarian Jewish physicist, was Fischer's biological father.[9] The article quoted an FBI report which stated that Regina Fischer returned to the United States in 1939, while Hans-Gerhardt Fischer never entered the United States, having been refused admission by US immigration officials because of alleged Communist sympathies.[10][11][12] Regina and Nemenyi had an affair in 1942, and he made monthly child support payments to her, paying for Fischer's schooling until his death in 1952.[13] Fischer later told the chess player Zita Rajcsanyi that Nemenyi would sometimes show up at his Brooklyn apartment and take him on outings
nemesis8

Thanks I had not heard that..........
nemesis8

We are going to stick with the young Bobby....

It is 1949 Regina has taken Bobby, his older sister Joan to Brooklyn. Regina got a job in a hospital, so Bobby and Joan were home alone......

Bobby is six....."We had Parcheesi, Monopoly and all these board games,Chinese Checkers and whatnot, but I kept hearing the hardest game was chess, so I finally persuaded my mother to give me that"....
nemesis8

We might hazard a guess that the young Bobby did not realise quite how hard chess is.....

There are roughly 318,979,654,000 ways of playing the first four moves and 169,518,892.100,544,000,000,000,000,000 the first ten!
(Reinfeld 1951)
berniegreen

This is a really fascinating problem.

Firstly let us deal with two issues already raised.

Brian is, of course, correct in describing the "ab initio" situation. However it is easy enough to envisage a future situation in which the "programmer" loads a computer with a "thinking" program that is both self-learning and self-teaching. Once we get to this stage then the computer becomes capable of becoming "smarter" than the human. The problem then is that the human's computer is a function of his brain which also is his sensorium. For the computer to actually reach a competitive situation with humans it will also need an integrated sensorium.

Nemesis's pursuit of chess puts a finger on another problem: intuition. When we really understand what intuition is (and, for that matter, hunches and feelings in general) we might be able to encode them into a machine intelligence form.

Assuming that we can overcome the above two problems then we may be able to overcome the last problem. Humans and other biological systems are "boot-strapped" in the womb so that immediately after birth they switch on their information seeking systems. Machine systems are not. For an imaginative view of how this might change see the novels of Ian M Banks.
Send private message Send e-mail
nemesis8

Thanks for the contribution Bernie, can you hold off a bit ...we are only up to 1949, we will surely reach 1950 soon, when we can discuss the Turing Test.....I am sure you will have a lot to contribute ......
Brian Ambrose

berniegreen wrote:

it is easy enough to envisage a future situation in which the "programmer" loads a computer with a "thinking" program that is both self-learning and self-teaching.

Like intergalactic travel, easy enough to envisage, but very very hard to do! Impossible with current knowledge and technology. The best practical reality this generation can hope for is a program sophisticated enough to fool someone that it is intelligent under controlled conditions. Which we will talk about.

Apologies to Nemesis for the diversion... please go on.
berniegreen

OK I will be patient. Can we talk about animals when we come to the Turing test?
Send private message Send e-mail
Brian Ambrose

I doubt it - the Turing test failed to find any intelligence at all in my cats.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in