MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

WHO discourages naming new viruses after geographic locations, people, species or classes of animals or foods, according to the organization's Best Practices for the Naming of New Human Infectious Diseases. Rather, WHO encourages use of descriptive terms of a disease, such as "respiratory disease" and "neurologic syndrome," as well as "severe" or "progressive." The organization also says that if a pathogen is known, it should be used as part of the disease's name.

In line with the World Health Organisation guidelines, I've decided to name the new virus: Acute Respiratory Syndrome Extremis coronavirus (ARSE-CoV).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

There appears to be a fatal flaw (er..perhaps better 'an AE flaw') in WHO's reasoning. There is a set of rules for naming new viruses. OK, fair enough. It's in their Best Practices for the Naming of New Human Infectious Diseases book. Again, fair enough. But the two are not the same thing.

This becomes important when we come to something called 'influenza'. Now I, along with the rest of the human race, know what 'the flu' is. I've had it, I've read about it, I'm not specially worried about it, even though I'd rather not catch it. Now all of a sudden I am being told about something called 'the corona-virus'. I am being told it causes 'flu-like symptoms', one of which is death on some occasions. I have not been told about any non-flu symptoms, or indeed how it is different from 'the flu' in any aspect whatsoever.

So what I want to know is "Is it 'the flu' or isn't it?"
Chad

Understanding the Common Cold -- the Basics
It's an illness caused by a tiny, infectious thing called a virus. More than 200 types lead to your misery, but the most common one is the rhinovirus, which is thought to be responsible for at least 50% of colds. Other viruses that can cause colds include coronavirus, respiratory syncytial virus, influenza and parainfluenza

So at what point does PANIC become the appropriate response?

And what the hell is 'respiratory syncytial virus'?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Spot the Correlation

In some cities those suspected of being sick are being rounded up with multiple unverified videos showing the quarantine squads at work.

For the last two days there have been fewer reported new infections in China.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Apparently, I have been too enigmatic and people (Hatty) are jumping to the wrong correlation. I was not making the point that Chinese quarantine arrangements are effective in cutting down cases of Coronavirus but rather, one look at the video, would make any Chinese person that's just come down with the flu hesitate before reporting it to the authorities. His or her not at all tiny Chinese mind will work along these lines

1. The chance that my 'flu' happens to be Coronavirus is minimal
2. The chance that I will die if it is Coronavirus is minimal
3. The chance that being cared for by the Chinese authorities will make the difference between dying of Coronavirus and not dying of Coronavirus is minimal
4. The chance I will be roughed up preparatory to disappearing into the maw of the Chinese State Coronavirus Apparat is 100%.
Grant

Still no Eurasian or black deaths from this "worldwide" epidemic. Note the poor couple stuck on the Chinese cruise ship. Only about ten English people on the ship but 60 Chinese have gone down with it. One white man affected but seems a minor problem and he is waiting for another health check (so presumably not at death's door).
Chad

The 2012 variant of coronavirus (MERS-CoV) took most of its victims from Saudi Arabia... Aren’t they a sort of swarthy version of white?

You didn’t reply to this question, Grant... Did you miss it?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One thing that has not been mentioned (unless on conspiracy websites?) is the significance of the death of the whistle-blowing doctor. It is not, I suppose, significant that he would catch the disease -- though, since that was quite late on, it does not say much for the protection of health care professionals in China -- but he was truly unlucky to die of it. What is the morbidity (?) rate currently ... one per cent?

Unless he didn't die of it but was murdered by the state. Or maybe allowed to die by neglect. It is true the Chinese government thought very ill of him but this seems a bit much for this not-particularly-death-dealing regime. Locking people up by the millions is their thing. On the other hand they are exactly the kind of dumbnuts that don't understand martyrology and just said WTF.

But as I say, it's the careful ignoral of the possibility that is of most significance for us.
Grant

The coronavirus MERS according to Wiki has spread from bats to camels. It is hard to catch as it affects only 20% of cells in the lungs. Many of those who catch it get it straight from camels. The connection with camels has kept it largely in the middle East. Plus the death rate is 30% which is not good for a virus which wants to replicate itself. Thank God the Chinese don't eat camels.

Of course, what I'm trying to say is I haven't got a clue
Grant

Quote from Brighton man who has been causing such a stir with his coronavirus:
" as soon as I knew I had been exposed to a confirmed case of coronavirus I contacted my GP, NHS111 and Public Health England. I was advised to attend an isolated room at hospital, DESPITE SHOWING NO SYMPTOMS, and subsequently self-isolated at home as instructed."
To summarise:
If you're white, black or brown, don't worry. If yellow, be scared.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A lot of you have been asking whether Grant can be put in an isolation ward until this current distemper of his has passed. I say no. He must remain at large in case he offers some evidence. Cut him some slack, he's a sick man. Without private health care insurance.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The first case in London (a Chinese woman, Grant). This puts me in an ethical dilemma. Do I stay here and tough it out or do I come amongst you, my people?
Chad

We’ve got it covered Mick. You’re going into quarantine.

You will be confined to a room at the Holiday Inn, Kensington (official hotel group partner to the AEL). Grant will pick up the tab on his expenses account.

Wear a mask at breakfast.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's too late, I'm already past the first checkpoint and at the M25. There are quite a few of us here. Obviously the first one to cross won't make it but the resulting snarl-up should allow others to infiltrate across. Nobody seems anxious to do their bit for the greater good so my plan is to wander up and down, sneezing loudly, until someone is spooked into making a dash for it. Ironically I do have the sniffles.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
...It is not, I suppose, significant that he would catch the disease...but he was truly unlucky to die of it. What is the morbidity (?) rate currently ... one per cent?

My understanding is that he did not die of it. He had a "heart attack" from "over work."

Unless he didn't die of it but was murdered by the state.

I'd put money on it.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in