MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It might be in line to win our "Name a conspiracy theory that turned out to be true" competition (no takers so far) except that this isn't. It would be 'an accusation of a government doing crazy things which turned out to be true' (many takers). Though not so many that I would take this at face value. An accidental release of a pathogen being studied for medical reasons would be as far as I would go.

But either way, if proved, China would be in line for a real worldwide shellacking. 'If proved'. As we saw with Skripal, all they have to do is woodenly deny it and eventually it'll go away. Nobody wants to make an enemy of China and there isn't a World Policeman to force us to work together. Even so there would be severe domestic repercussions. I find it impossible to believe that this current Emperor hasn't made a stupefying number of Chinese enemies. He forgot the Golden Rule, there's safety in politburos.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wrote an amusing (well, I thought so) squib as a round robin to my family and immediately started to worry about whether amusing squibs are acceptable. Consulting Hatty, she pointed out that it wouldn’t be if someone had just lost a relative but otherwise... This got me thinking because of course at 10-15000 nobody will have a close relative. On the other hand, it only takes a dozen to die in a terrorism incident and you're not allowed to joke about that, even in my family.

But, and this is the point, 10-15,000 die of the flu every year and nobody says you can’t make jokes about the flu. So what's the difference about this ‘flu’? The big difference (apart from the world grinding to a halt) is the Intensive Care factor. The ordinary every-year 10-15,000 flu sufferers don’t get the Intensive Care treatment. But why not? People don’t die of ‘the flu’ they die of respiratory failure or whatever that is caused by the flu. So why aren’t they getting put into Intensive Care on the offchance that it will save them? Even if it is accepted that coronavirus is especially vicious, there must be loads of borderline flu cases that could be saved if the kitchen sink is thrown at them.

Presumably because it has long been the administrative practice not to. We sort of know this because nobody has been building Nightingales in the Docklands every winter. We just moan a bit about stretched resources and go about our business which is that certain categories of life-threatening conditions get you into Intensive Care, but flu isn’t one of them. This year it is. The first year that it has been put about that, “We’re all in the firing line so let’s stop the world in case it’s you that will be getting off." And we say, "Right you are."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This brings us on to all this PPE business. [And by the way, there is an AEL prize to the first person who says either “PPE” or says “Personal Protective Equipment” but doesn’t say “PPE, Personal Protective Equipment”.] Hospitals don’t put on PPE to deal with flu victims. Why not? Because they don’t do so with any infectious disease. Well, they do, in certain circumstances, but mainly they don't.

Except this one. And if anyone in the NHS thinks they won’t get infected by donning PPE they’ve got another think coming. It don’t work like that. You’ve got to go into full hazmat mode – not just the people but the entire environment to achieve that – so forget about it. Just do what you do every year. A few of you catch whatever it is, the rest of you don't.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
Nobody wants to make an enemy of China and there isn't a World Policeman to force us to work together.

The most likely candidate for that role is The WHO*.
But they seem to be doing their best to impersonate Lesley Neilson.

The European Union and other transnational organisations, including the World Health Organisation, have been useless, and it turns out in the WHO’s case, all too cozy to China over Taiwan.

Taiwan is seen as one of the few places in the world which has successfully stemmed the spread of the coronavirus without resorting to draconian measures.

But despite its efforts, it is still effectively locked out of membership in the World Health Organization (WHO) due to its complex relationship with China.

This all exploded over the weekend when a top WHO official appeared to avoid questions about Taiwan in a TV interview that has gone viral, attracting criticism and even accusations of bias.

What happened?

On Saturday, Hong Kong broadcaster RTHK aired an interview with Bruce Aylward, the WHO assistant director-general, who spoke to journalist Yvonne Tong on a video call.

In the segment, Ms Tong asks if the WHO would reconsider letting Taiwan join the organisation. She is met with a long silence from Mr Aylward, who then says he cannot hear her and asks to move on to another question.

Ms Tong presses him again, saying she would like to talk about Taiwan. At this point, Mr Aylward appears to hang up on her.

When the journalist calls Mr Aylward again, she asks if he could comment on Taiwan's response to the coronavirus.

Mr Aylward then replies: "Well, we've already talked about China."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52088167

*This The WHO, not that The Who)

Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Have you noticed, everyone now knows someone who has had bloody awful flu-like symptoms this year. Which might have been.... or might prove....etc....But there again this could happen every year, it is just in other years folks don't mention it. Maybe?
Boreades

I had the bloody awful flu-like symptoms last year (for six weeks, mid Sept to Mid Oct). Nobody but nobody thought it was special or unusual, it just seemed to be "going round". Didn't get any sympathy. M'Lady said I wasn't dead, so I should carry on working.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

These guys provide quite a useful perspective if anyone's in need of something to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmyHP5szGY

Their general view is that it's all severely over-hyped. They are on the alternative / "don't believe the government" side of things however - i.e. my side :) so they might be a little biased. They do bring a lot of good statistics to the table though.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

And don't think viruses are not watching our behaviour very carefully. It is agreed that they are the oldest and most adaptive organisms around and while they have been content to control us by keeping one step ahead and communicating with one another via (the clue's in the name) the common cold, it has surely come to their attention lately that our role in panspermia of building space rockets to get them off this outpost-in-space -- arriving is a doddle via asteroids -- is slackening while our danger to them, wiping out life on earth, is accelerating.

So they give us a little flick of the whip.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

The most interesting thing I learned yesterday, is that viruses aren’t actually living organisms... they are just bits of protein.

(I knew this of prions but was surprised it was also the case with viruses.)

They are similar to obligate intracellular parasites as they lack the means for self-reproduction outside a host cell, but unlike parasites, viruses are generally not considered to be true living organisms.

A primary reason is that viruses do not possess a cell membrane or metabolise on their own - characteristics of all living organisms.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/virus.htm
Chad

N R Scott wrote:
These guys provide quite a useful perspective if anyone's in need of something to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmyHP5szGY

Their general view is that it's all severely over-hyped. They are on the alternative / "don't believe the government" side of things however - i.e. my side :) so they might be a little biased. They do bring a lot of good statistics to the table though.

The edited BBC article they refer to (at 4:20 into the video) is the very one I posted the link to (at the top of page 15). I was surprised, at the time, that they were being so unbiasedly informative (against a general background of hysteria).

I wonder how long the article remained unedited... Those of you who followed my link; which version did you get?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The most interesting thing I learned yesterday, is that viruses aren’t actually living organisms... they are just bits of protein.

I did know this or at any rate I recognised it when you said it. Two thoughts are immediately triggered
1. In sci-fi terms this is essential because living things might get too attached either to their host or to their newly adopted world
2. Presumably there must be an organising brain somewhere. This does not necessarily require going down the full intelligent design path, they may be like mushrooms, in pluribus unum, though I suppose it does mean an intelligent universe.

But I've already covered this in my A New Model of the Solar System so like viruses I will zoom away now. Also stick around. We're very adaptable. And essentially benevolent.
Boreades

Chad wrote:
I wonder how long the article remained unedited... Those of you who followed my link; which version did you get?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

One of the wonders of the interweb is that there are some special sites that keep track of changes on most other sites.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/%20https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Saved 14 times between March 21, 2020 and April 2, 2020.

Presumably "Saved 14 times" means updated 13 times?
Chad

Thanks for that little gem Borry.

The article was ‘tweaked’ half a dozen times on just the day it was first published. The original headline read:

Coronavirus: Have UK experts over-egged deaths?

By the time I saw it, it had already been softened to:

Coronavirus Deaths: What we don’t know.

The original article is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200321023151/https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I didn't watch the videos at the time but did at your urgings. I was, I admit, slightly shaken by the two media manipulations. I had not realised -- though of course it's obvious enough -- that this kind of URL tampering took place. The Italian doctors were especially egregious because they had been presented as dying on duty in the first place which presumably could not have been the case since they had obviously been long retired. Publishing their birth dates was, again presumably, what led someone to point this out. Now just removing the doctors (with or without explanation) would have meant a mistake, maybe a sinister one, maybe not. Removing the birth dates and leaving in the dead doctors means definite malice aforethought after the thought.

One problem with the video was that while this particular one was excellent on this particular subject, the mindset behind it was less so. For instance the dude giving us the gen on the governments' motives linked it to Blair/Bush and WMD. The problem with this is that any sensible person (i.e. not in the grip of a conspiratorial view of the world) knows perfectly well that Blair/Bush believed in WMD. Hence the comparison I drew is that Johnson et al (not Trump) believe in the awfulness of the coronavirus. They just don't have a hidden agenda. They're just averagely (in)competent.

PS I liked everyone being so nice about China.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Will this hysteria never cease? So, the Prime Minister catches coronavirus. Of course he does, he's meeting everybody and his dog. So he gets a bit peaky. That's coronavirus for you. So he gets a bit peakier still. Ditto, but he's the Prime Minister so he's taken over the road to St Thomas's. I should think so too. It has its privileges. He gets a bit peakier, so they give him some oxygen. But he's the Prime Minister so they put him in Intensive Care next to a ventilator just in case. Bleedin' 'ell, wouldn't you? This triggers national meltdown. Even Newsnight's melting down: "He's a family man, sob."

For Chrissake, he's coming out in two days. Back in the saddle in three. But he might die. Then we'll send a card. I'm warning you, Britain, much more of this and I'll be emigrating.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 19 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in