MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I suspect the access route to this translation widget is lost in translation. Or you are Officer Crabtree in disguise.

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once- which browser are you using?

Good moaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bk7n5jvr5c
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I am never entirely sure what a browser is and I am never put off by people being passively aggressive when they have asked for my help and I am trying my best to give it but I am on AOL and then they stopped doing whatever they were doing, except for emails, and put me on Google Chrome which I hated but now wouldn't be without. I think I'm on Microsoft as well but not quite sure in what capacity, they're a little bit scary whenever I try to find out. Virgin provide me with something but I think that is sort of 'overall'.

I have consulted Hatty who also has the translator thingy on her thingy and was chuckling at how much worse their translation was than her own when she translated it for me this morning 'live', as she put it.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
passively aggressive .

Haha, a sure sign of a sociology student. Or maybe a social anthropologist. But not a psychologist. "Assertive" is another word lost in translation.

As for the browser: OMG! AOL. WTF?
Perhaps you are using Google Chrome, and logged in, so that Google can keep track of you and your wanderings around the interweb?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You are my guide in these matters.
Boreades

For UK folks who like their data a bit more granular than just a national total, what have we found so far?

The best I can find so far is this:
https://www.centreforcities.org/coronavirus/

London has the highest number of cases, with more than 58 confirmed cases per 100,000 population, followed by Sheffield (52) and Slough (48).
Hull has the lowest number of cases per population, with around 3 confirmed cases per 100,000 inhabitants.
Slough’s rapid increase is likely to be caused by an input of all cases from the 20th to the 26th of March on the same day.
London and Birmingham have a high number of cases per 100,000 population, but that is not the case for every big city in the UK: Derby, Milton Keynes and Luton have a higher ratio than Liverpool or Manchester.
The ratio of cases confirmed in Sheffield has rapidly increased over the last few days, more rapidly than other cities of similar size.

Not surprisingly, the hot spots are the bigger towns and cities. For once, the "best" place to be is Hull.

Anyone found anything else?
aurelius

Not surprisingly, the hot spots are the bigger towns and cities. For once, the "best" place to be is Hull.

Anyone found anything else?

Oddly Bournemouth (is it even a city?) is included whereas the City of Brighton isn't (Brighton's population @ 229,700 is greater than Bournemouth's @ 187,503).

https://twitter.com/egbert_pengwu

Peng wu provides ongoing analysis. The recorded cases are wandering off the exponential line in the right direction. Could be good, or a severe underestimate.

Presumably the local authority dashboard is well known to all?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14
Boreades

Royal Flush

Prince Charles is out of self-isolation and is in good health after testing positive for coronavirus. The 71-year-old ,who falls into the at risk group because of his age, had ‘mild symptoms’ when he was diagnosed with Covid-19 last week.

It was revealed on Wednesday March 25th that the heir-to-the throne had caught coronavirus. His spokesman said that his quarantine lasted seven days, in accordance with government guidelines. A statement said: ‘Clarence House has confirmed today that, having consulted with his doctor, The Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation’.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/30/prince-charles-recovers-coronavirus-self-isolation-12478095/

It's not yet been established whether the Royal Herd is any more immune than the Hoi Poloi Herd. Or where HM PC got it from.

Clarence House said it was not possible to know who Charles caught the virus off, owing to the high number of public engagements he was involved in before becoming unwell.

Which is bugger-all reassurance to the families of those people that HM PC was handing out gongs and awards to on 12th March at Buck House. Is it ironic that some of the awards were to NHS Health Workers for exceptional service?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Back in the days when I was a consultant porter in the NHS it would be quite normal for a major London teaching hospital to have just two Intensive Care beds. 'Special Care' they were called in those more restrained days. But it would really just be two beds in a small room with masses of equipment that it was the devil's own job manoeuvring a trolley round. I don't suppose we'll ever return to that sylvan state. We're all special nowadays.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Anyone who has had any dealings with the NHS will not be in the least surprised at the recurring fiascos re testing and protective gear (and now swabs, of all things). While the NHS is exemplary when it comes to anything 'at the point of delivery' they are monumentally inefficient at doing everything else. Whether this is because of its size (often cited as third in the world behind the Indian Railways and the Chinese Red Army), whether it is because it is publicly owned-and-run or whether it is because it is so heavily unionised (and that's just the doctors) might be a matter of debate but never will be because it's "our NHS". Pass me the sick bucket, if you haven't run out of them too.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

UK PLC, or rather Public Health England, have moved from a strategic theoretical lock-down response, to a more tactical agile response based on testing. There is nothing wrong with this in principle other than, in practice we don't have the kit. So, we are still hoping that the fatalities drop according to the various mathmatical models. However, the only mathes really worth considering is the South Koeans (OK also the cruise ships) as they have done rigorous testing, but there again, they, the Koreans, are also tracking down infected people and wearing masks.

Put another way, we have no way of estimating, let alone knowing, whether our lock-down is working or not, other than the old fashioned, measure the number of deaths.

So we will wait till total deaths plateau, then let folks out, and see if the death toll rises. This might not seem scientific but hey ho it is what is happening in a lot of places, except for South Korea and maybe Germany.

Humans are incredibly good at guessing and getting by, whilst pretending it is science.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The main problem with now lifting the lock-down is that we need some bad believable science to justify this lifting, as the lock-down implementation was not based on good science or practice (testing).

You can point out that there are no more deaths Europe-wide this year than any other, but now you will be told that is because clearly the lock-down is working (!)
Boreades

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Humans are incredibly good at guessing and getting by, whilst pretending it is science.

Too bloody true.

Elsewhere, in my usual fashion, I upset someone by saying that what they were experiencing as a "rational decision" was nothing of the kind. As most decisions are emotional value judgements, often made in haste. What people actually experience (or hear) is the post-hoc rationalisation. i.e. explaining away the decision after the event, explaining why it seemed like a good idea at the time, as though it really was a rational decision.

Harpo is my guide in these matters.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The only truly irritating thing is that nobody will 'fess up to making mistakes even though whenever it is safe to do so everyone keeps on saying that we are in uncharted territory and mistakes are inevitable.

"Minister, why did we only do eight thousand tests yesterday when you told us last week that we'd be doing twenty-five thousand by now."
"Let me make it abundantly clear that testing is right at the heart of the government's strategy/at the very top of the government's agenda/that everyone in government is doing everything humanly possible to source testing kits from around the world/that we will have at least a million testing kits by the end of the month/why don't you fuck right off, you bastard, I hope you get the virus and die in a ditch."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sweden is coming under incredible pressure to abandon its currently quite successful outlier policy (business as usual, middle of the pack virus casualties) and go into lockdown which will result in it ending up about middle of the pack in terms of virus casualties but an outlier in terms of lost GNP.
Boreades

What's the AEL position on news articles that were dismissed as Conspiracy Theories (back in January) now being floated by the MSM?

According to the Washington Times:

Chinese government researchers isolated more than 2,000 new viruses, including deadly bat coronaviruses, and carried out scientific work on them just three miles from a wild animal market identified as the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Several Chinese state media outlets in recent months touted the virus research and lionized in particular a key researcher in Wuhan, Tian Junhua, as a leader in bat virus work.

The coronavirus strain now infecting hundreds of thousands of people globally mutated from bats believed to have infected animals and people at a wild animal market in Wuhan. The exact origin of the virus, however, remains a mystery.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/30/china-researchers-isolated-bat-coronaviruses-near-/

No bat shit, Sherlock?

Noted that the Washington Times says "three miles", but other similar reports say 300 metres. Who knows?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 18 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in