MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The problem with all these copy cat national lock downs is that nobody really knows how effective this cure is, and whether the cure is actually worse than the disease.

It would have made more sense for Boris to have locked down London and let the rest of us go about our daily business. That way we would see if it is bad air pollution, plus underlying causes, plus infection that accounts for the 4% plus deaths in some bad pollution areas eg Lombardy, Wuhan etc....
Wile E. Coyote

If Boris had followed Wiley, and put tanks all the way along the M25, to enforce a London lock-down, then it would have also aided Cummings policy of boosting the regions.
Wile E. Coyote

I am afraid Boris has made the schoolboy error of thinking London is the country. Let the rest of us out of our houses and visit the beaches and the countryside. We have plenty of fresh invigorating air.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Compare and contrast:

Peak District police get peaky

A force that released drone footage of people walking in the Peak District has been accused of "nanny policing". Derbyshire Police filmed people in pairs rambling in the Curbar Edge area of the beauty spot on Wednesday. Officers said travelling to remote areas for exercise did not count as "essential travel" as permitted under government lockdown rules.
Former justice secretary David Gauke described it as "badly misjudged" and pointed out the people in the footage were maintaining a social distance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52055201

«Une fable de Blancs»

A Saint-Denis, l’impossible confinement d’une capitale

Au nord de Paris, le centre-ville populaire de Saint-Denis ne vit toujours pas à l’heure du confinement strict réclamé par Emmanuel Macron. Comment y parvenir? Les forces de l’ordre s’avouent dépassées.

Les deux vigiles qui gardent l’entrée du principal bureau de poste de Saint-Denis sont découragés. Costaud, Pierre tente d’imposer un mètre de distance entre les clients. Impossible. La queue traverse la rue. Des grappes d’hommes discutent. La rue de la République, artère principale du centre de Saint-Denis, affiche pourtant une litanie de devantures fermées. La place de la Mairie, qui est aussi celle de la Basilique des rois de France, est en revanche quasi déserte. Mais à la hauteur de la Poste, rien ne va plus.

https://www.letemps.ch/monde/saintdenis-limpossible-confinement-dune-capitale?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=article
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Another stupefying day on the daily deaths front. Channel 4 News resolutely ignored it all except (of course) reporting that Britain is still hitting absolute highs (as it will do indefinitely) and 204 yesterday. No comment on its significance. But there was a shatteringly significant figure from elsewhere so I will report it verbatim as reported by Al-Jazeera

And across the Atlantic Italy [emphasis] just in the last hour reported [pause, emphasis] another 756 deaths from the coronavirus that's [lowers voice, speeds up delivery] slightly less than the day before.

No it ain't, lady, it's massively less than the day before (889). Now, OK, it might be a 'weekend' figure but Kee-rist, if it isn't, doesn't anyone understand that's the end of the story? From now on we're just clearing up the mess, burying the bodies and handing out the medals. I'm going out to celebrate.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

This site has all the coronavirus data recorded from around the world. No speculation or commentary, just plain data:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If you study the graphs for individual countries, you can see Italy started to turn the corner about seven days ago, Spain about three days ago and France looks like it is just about to do so. We shouldn’t be too far behind (maybe seven days).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I get the impression from this invaluable site that we are not only a bit later but a lot more molehill-ish. Is that correct?
Chad

I think you may be right. We should know more in the next couple of days.

The total number of deaths should double every three days. We reached a thousand yesterday, so if we have significantly less than two thousand, by the day after tomorrow, we may have peaked. But I think it may be another three days after that, before we can detect anything significant.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

But remember none of this is possible unless the media are on board and a nice illustration of this hit me first thing when I was greeted with the most important story of the day and right up my alley
Tesco Introduces New Restrictions
Have they gone too far?

I clicked on the latter phrase to find out.

Tesco has put a one-item limit on essential items at some of its stores after customers started stockpiling products because of coronavirus.

It had been two but I should be able to cope.

The supermarket chain's Express stores have reportedly begun limiting customers to just one item each of essentials such as milk, bread, eggs and toilet roll.

Phew! Neither of my two Tescos are Express.

According to The Times, a Tesco Express store in Walthamstow had a sign on some shelves which read: "To help give everyone access to essential items this product is limited to only 1 per customer."

Phew! Neither of them are in Walthamstow.

Last week, Tesco implemented a three-item limit on all products and it hasn't ruled out imposing even stricter measures to make sure it doesn't run out of key items.

Oh good, up from two then.
aurelius

Chad wrote:
This site has all the coronavirus data recorded from around the world. No speculation or commentary, just plain data:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If you study the graphs for individual countries, you can see Italy started to turn the corner about seven days ago, Spain about three days ago and France looks like it is just about to do so. We shouldn’t be too far behind (maybe seven days).

This is fascinating. Sorting individual columns into rank order can produce what it seems at first sight some odd* results, e.g.

Deaths per 1m population:

1) San Marino = 648
2) Italy = 178
3) Spain = 146
4) Andorra = 78
5) Netherlands = 45
6) France = 40
7) Belgium = 37
8) Switzerland = 35
9) Luxembourg = 34
10) Iran = 31

(UK = 12th with 18)

* e.g. Andorra's population is only 77,234, showing one of the limitations of statistics

...when in terms of cases the familiar ranking is

1)United States
2) Italy
3) China
4) Spain
5) Germany, etc.

(UK 8th)

but less obvious is the ranking for serious/critical cases:

1) France (4,632)
2) Spain (4,165)
3) Italy (3,906)
4) Iran (3,206)
5) USA (2,970)
6) Germany (1,979)
7) Netherlands (972)
8) Belgium (867)
9) China (633)
10) Turkey (568)

(UK 15th, with 163)

Depends on a state's definition of 'critical', performance of health service and the position it is in the January 10th - March 26th cycle, probably.
Chad

These absolute figures are unreliable for all sorts of reasons... except the death figures (everybody defines that in the same way). That’s why the graphs showing daily deaths are the only ones that really help us predict how things are going to unfold.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
But remember none of this is possible unless the media are on board and a nice illustration of this hit me first thing when I was greeted with the most important story of the day and right up my alley
Tesco Introduces New Restrictions
Have they gone too far?

It might be that Tesco (et al) are keeping a nervous eye on the food supply situation in Italy (and Spain (et al)).

Crece el malestar en Italia por el coronavirus: casi tres millones de personas necesitan ayuda para comer
El alcalde de Palermo advierte: «Hay riesgo de que el malestar se convierta en rabia y esta se transforme en violencia»
Se refuerza la presencia de policías y agentes de paisano en supermercados y farmacias para evitar robos

https://www.abc.es/internacional/abci-crece-malestar-italia-coronavirus-casi-tres-millones-personas-necesitan-ayuda-para-comer-202003292052_noticia.html?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.samizdata.net%2F

Just in case Hatty is away:

‘Increasing woe in Italy due to the coronavirus: almost 3,000,000 people need food aid’
In Campania more than 530,000 people need food, almost 9% of the region’s population. More than 364,000 in Sicily, almost 283,000 in Calabria. Even Lazio has more than 263,000 people in need. One analysis says around 2,700,000 people need food aid.

Have any of the learned AEL panel lived in Italy? I've no idea what "normal" food resilience might be in Italy. Do Italians habitually keep well-stocked fridges and freezers (like Brits)? Or does social eating out-of-home skew the whole food supply chain away from what is familiar to us in the UK?

If severe food shortages really did come about, another way in which the cure is worse than the disease?

Edit: My translation skills are very limited: I will ask #1 Son to do better and report back.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Have any of the learned AEL panel lived in Italy? I've no idea what "normal" food resilience might be in Italy. Do Italians habitually keep well-stocked fridges and freezers (like Brits)? Or does social eating out-of-home skew the whole food supply chain away from what is familiar to us in the UK?

This is important though not for this reason. Mediterranean countries are foodie countries which means food shopping every day. I discovered this, aged 14, when I brought a baguette home from a French exchange. This is perhaps why Spain and Italy (France is too early to call) are firstest with the mostest. Not just shopping and mingling but maybe fresh produce and people mingling.

Edit: My translation skills are very limited: I will ask #1 Son to do better and report back.

There is a button at the top of the screen that permits automatic if mangled translation of most internet sources. Any repeat of you putting up a post containing untranslated French will result in a swift disappearance. The post may be deleted as well.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:

There is a button at the top of the screen that permits automatic if mangled translation of most internet sources. Any repeat of you putting up a post containing untranslated French will result in a swift disappearance. The post may be deleted as well.

That's easy for you to say (n'est-ce pas?). Sadly I'm unable to get past the local road blocks, or break through the Cordon Sanitaire around the People's Republic of Notting Hill (Les Misérables?).

Would be so kind as to post a screen grab of your screen, so we can learn what you've got on your screen? Or "browser" as some call it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Screen grabs are a little beyond my technical ability but if you return to the French page you cited
https://www.letemps.ch/monde/saintdenis-limpossible-confinement-dune-capitale?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=article

You will see a little star at the right-hand end of the whatsit and to its left a little black-and-white button saying (I think) G/R. You may have to wait, you may have to negotiate some beta-blocking messages but pressing that (with your cursor, your finger won't work that's what held me up for a long time) should lead you into a world of possibilities.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 17 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in