MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gael Celtic Hebrew British Coincidence? (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
I wonder if the authors use a technique that we employed -- what might be called creative re-branding.

So far the authors have labelled the Cistercians, the Freemasons and the Templars as 'Crypto-Jewish.' So yes. They've also claimed the same for the Reformation - particularly Presbyterianism. And for most of the royal houses of Europe.

On the topic of Fomenko the authors draw attention to Islamic symbolism in Scottish history, along with the Jewish. From what I've read so far in Chron IV Fomenko seems to be saying that Islam split from Christianity relatively recently, explaining the Islamic symbolism in Russia. Don't know what he says of Scotland, but it seems to chime.
N R Scott

Going back to my Jewish/Druish thing, I'm starting to think there could be something to it.

One of the first things that made me think along these lines was the fact that David is the patron saint of Wales. He's called Dewi Sant in Welsh. On the face of it Dewi looked a little bit like both Jew and Drui.

Now I've just read this in When Scotland Was Jewish;

the given name Dhuada means Davida.

I'm guessing then that Dhuad is therefore David. Again, to me Dhuad looks like Druid, so I'm going to tentatively state that Jew, Druid and David are all more or less the same word.

And also, of course, Scotland is the only country in history, besides ancient Israel, to have a monarch named David.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

David is the same everywhere, I don't see why Welsh Dewi should have a particular connection with the Hebrew name.

[It may or may not be relevant that the Jewish children from the Kindertransport who were sent to Wales seem to have had especially unhappy experiences. Certainly no sense of being home.]

What discernible connection have these authors found between Cistercians, Freemasons, Templars and Jews or even Crypto-Jews?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Returning briefly to red hair, I've just heard about Redhead Day (Roodharigendag), "a summer festival that takes place each first weekend of September in the city of Breda, in the Netherlands." But it's more likely orange than red that's being celebrated since Breda was acquired by the House of Nassau i.e. Orange.
N R Scott

Hatty wrote:
What discernible connection have these authors found between Cistercians, Freemasons, Templars and Jews or even Crypto-Jews?

Nothing substantial really so far. Six-pointed stars on graves, Jewish families being involved in trade and city guilds. They do show though that from the medieval onwards Jews were very much in Scotland and involved in Scottish life. The question they try (but fail) to answer is exactly how and when Judaism arrived in Scotland.

You can't escape the fact though that the Jews were very Megalithic. Port Jews, international trade, banking, metal working (silver/gold/coinage).

If there was a Megalithic Empire linking the Mediterranean world with North-West Europe then there must have been a cultural flow of some sort between both ends. Judaism could have had branches in Britain and the Middle East. In fact the very label Jew might have been a much more general term in bygone times for anyone of a megalithic ilk. It might have only acquired its more specific meaning over time.

In fact, the book actually mentions that not all Jews in medieval times were particularly religious.

The French Jews, including those of Narbonne, were largely secularized; that is, they had little knowledge of Hebrew or Jewish religious texts. Though the Babylonian Talmud arrived, belatedly, in France

The odd thing for me in all this is the Roman Empire. They had this massive Jewish/Christian culture coming at them from the east which we know a lot about and which had a massive effect on the empire. They also had this massive Druidic culture coming at them from the north which we know nothing about and which had no effect on the empire. How could this massive culture just disappear and have so little effect on the development of Roman culture?

Maybe it was the same (or a similar) culture coming at them from both sides. That would explain why we find 'Jews' in Europe literally the minute we come out of the Dark Ages. It would also explain why Celtic Christianity (with a lot in common with the Christianity of the east) comes out the woodwork the minute the Romans leave.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

We do hint at this problem in The Megalithic Empire but are defeated by, as Scottie says, lack of evidence. We specifically appeal to 'conspiracy theory' for this reason:

After all, both archaeology and the literary sources agree that the British religious apparatus was able to reconstitute itself under Roman auspices, in the standard fashion of virtually every country the Romans conquered. (1) But no, the Druids were forced to retreat to Anglesey where they were thoroughly beaten and never heard from again. Under that name.

(1)The other notable exception being Judea. The fact that Vespasian was used to put down both Jewish and British rebels has given rise to various conspiracy theories, going back to the (at the time) very influential British Israelite Movement
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Some Druids claim that Esus/Hesus who apparently died being hung from a sacred tree was a druid god.

This might suggest H/Esus=Jesus

Wiki is a bit sniffy "This identification is still made in certain Neo-Druidic circles. Modern scholars consider the resemblance between the names Esus and Jesus to be coincidental".
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Julius=Jesus=Esus=Zeus is a line of interest.
Jorn

The Danes are a Norse people, and Northmen have always claimed they spoke Danish tongue.

I am skeptical about the Jutes though, as the Danish seem to have been so nasty against them with at least a minority of them, compared with how they treated the Norway, Scania, Iceland and the Danis Islanders. Jutland is also the only place where you have had multiple riots against the King.

The Danish stereotype of Jutes has also not been very nice, and in many areas they were also serfs, forbidden to leave the property of their master.

Jutland is populated with Danes today, if you look at DNA, but considering how long the Danes have controlled it, just allowing Danes to clear new land, while you forbade the Jutes to stay put with their master, would solve the Jutish problem.

If Denmark is Israel or Judea, and it is correct that the Jews killed the people originally living there, the Danes might also have taken revenge.

My pet theory though, is that Denmark is Legendary Egypt. aigyptos means translated from Greek, good goats. Gaut was another name for Odin, and you find Gotland, and east and west Geats next to Danish Scania.

Also worth remembering was that Northmen were often called Eastmen in what they called Bretaland and Irland.
N R Scott

Finished reading When Scotland Was Jewish. One thing I came across that I thought might be worth sharing was this list of Bishops and Ministers of Dunblane Cathedral that the authors produce.

Bishops and Ministers of Dunblane Cathedral

S. Blane 602-?
Colum 640
Daniel 640-659
Iolan 659-689
S. Ronan 689-737
Maelmanach 737-776
Noe 776-798
M__? 1155-?
Lawrence 1160-1178
Symon 1178-1196
W__? 1196-1197
Jonathan 1198-1210
Abraham 1212-1225
Ralph 1225-1226
...[the list continues up to the year 1623].

It's interesting firstly because there's an unexplained 300 year gap in the list, but also because names like Daniel crop up early on.

The authors also produce a list of male and female Jewish names from the Medieval period. The name Meir is on it - its variants are given as Melin, Melinus, Merin, Merinus and Meyer. I thought Merlin(??). In my head Merlin's now Jewish. Complete with pointy hat.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

N R Scott wrote:
It's interesting firstly because there's an unexplained 300 year gap in the list...

My money is on this gap matching the 300 year gap Fomenko points to in global world history.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The 300-year gap is easily explained: they never happened, and you have uncovered another nice piece of evidence in our general quest to show the European Dark Ages are the same as the Greek Dark Ages ie they never happened but are a dating error committed by modern historians. The gap arising because obviously nothing can occur during years that never existed.

Not that I am necessarily a proponent of this theory, merely an interested bystander.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

More and more coincidences.

I have my own ideas that all The Dark Ages coincide with Climatic Minimums. Yes, there is more than one Dark Age. What they all have in common is periods when crops don't grow, and empires decide its time to go home. More later.

But tonight on BBC4, we have Waldemar Januszczak. His parents came to Britain from Poland after WW2. Tonight, on BBC4, he presented part One of "The Dark Ages: An Age Of Light".

At the start of the programme he shows us one of the earliest Christian churches ever discovered. It's in Dorset. As a passing remark, he says it was right next door to a Jewish Synagogue.
Eh? In 400AD? More trading connections?

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/VfupdXVjTM6crACGDU-6uA

On Iplayer here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zbtmr

Programme info says ...
"The Dark Ages have been misunderstood. History has identified the period following the fall of the Roman Empire with a descent into barbarism - a terrible time when civilisation stopped. Waldemar Januszczak disagrees. In this four-part series he argues that the Dark Ages were a time of great artistic achievement, with new ideas and religions provoking new artistic adventures. He embarks on a fascinating trip across Europe, Africa and Asia, visits the world's most famous collections and discovers hidden artistic gems, all to prove that the Dark Ages were actually an 'Age of Light'. In the first episode he looks at how Christianity emerged into the Roman Empire as an artistic force in the third and fourth centuries. But with no description of Jesus in the Bible, how were Christians to represent their God? Waldemar explores how Christian artists drew on images of ancient gods for inspiration and developed new forms of architecture to contain their art."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is just normal previous-orthodoxy-bashing. For the last twenty years we've had wall to wall programmes (and books and everything else) saying the Dark Ages weren't very Dark after all. They don't really mean it. What they mean is that the academics of the previous twenty years had gone a bit overboard with the darkness.

Always remember academics cannot stand steady-state. Everything's always got to be on the move, and the Great British Public have got to be constantly beaten over the head for believing what they were taught at school. Even though the new version is but the tiniest tweak on what they (and the academics) were taught in schools.

Can anyone tell me of anybody saying lately, "Hey, the Dark Ages were really 'orrible." Which they were. A bit of artsy-fartsy stuff makes not the slightest difference.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Can anyone tell me of anybody saying lately, "Hey, the Dark Ages were really 'orrible." Which they were.

I've changed my mind. They were just the same as any other six hundred year stretch.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in