MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gael Celtic Hebrew British Coincidence? (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard

Gael hedd. (Welsh)
Galaed. (Hebrew)
meaning Geledd (Gen.31;47) i.e. heap of testimony

Anudon. (Welsh)
Aen Adon. (Hebrew)
meaning "Without God"

Yni all sy dda. (Welsh)
Ani El Saddai. (Hebrew)
meaning "I am the Almighty God" (Gen. 17;1)

Llai iachu yngwyddd achau ni. (Welsh)
Loa yichei neged acheinu. (Hebrew)
meaning "Let him not live before our brethren" (Gen.31;32).

Ochoren ballodddi hoc-dena. (Welsh)
Acharei belothi hedenah. (Hebrew)
meaning "After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure?" (Gen.18;12).

Coincidence?

Jutes -- (Latin Iutae) -- North Europe and Britain -- Celt?
Judea -- (Latin: Iudaea) - Israel

Parisii -- Britain - Celt
Parisii -- France - Celt
Pharisee - Israel

Iceni -- Britain - Celt
Esseni -- Judea - Israel

Gaels -- Ireland -- Wales - Cornwall - Gaul
Galacians -- (New Testament) -- Celt
Grant

So many people post examples here of coincidences between Hebrew, Celtic, Saxon etc names and places. It's all fascinating, but the problem is that there are only so many phonemes used in the world's languages that there must, inevitably, be many coincidences. Has anyone ever worked on a formula to separate chance from connection? Some linguist must have worked on it.

My own view is that everything of any consequence in the history of man started in Western Europe. It's not surprising then that there are tantalising hints of this linkage in subjects as diverse as the Hebrew language and the history of Troy.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Are the similarities between Welsh and Hebrew typically found in a religious context?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Look. Some of this goes way beyond similarity!

And how about picking a language at random. Let's say.... Lithuanian. Now show me the supposed random phenomic overlaps between Hebrew and Lithuanian. Go on! Let me see 'em!

I tell you. The Bible was written in Britain.

(maybe)
Rocky

Hatty wrote:
Are the similarities between Welsh and Hebrew typically found in a religious context?

I was wondering this too. But what's the significance of it?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

As you know, it is an AE supposition that Welsh is not an Indo-European language -- AE because the assumption that it is derives from the original needs of Celtic linguists rather than an analysis of Celtic languages. The next AE question is, given that this assumption is built-in to linguistical beliefs, would any linguist ever study the relationship between Welsh and Hebrew?

The only possibility that they would derives from the fact that it is a paradigm belief of linguistics that the I-E languages and the Semitic languages (along with the Altaic languages -- Hungarian, Mongol etc)) form a super-family and that therefore there must, by definition, be an I-E language that is most closely related to a Semitic language. Unfortunately, a genuinely interesting question like this is something the Linguistics Industry would never dream of taking on. Too mathematical! Too dangerous!
wizard

Hatty wrote:

I'm not convinced they are typically found but the similarities may be considered for further exploration.

For example ... King David.
The biblical chronology sets King Davids life between c.1037-970 BCE, his reign over Judah c.1007-1000 BCE, and his reign over the United Kingdom of Israel c.1000-970 BCE.

Similarities?
Judea is the Roman name of the ancient kingdom of the Jews, Yehuda (Judah).
Judea -- (Latin: Iudaea) - Israel
Jutes -- (Latin: Iutae) -- North Europe and Britain -- Celt?

Similarities?
David maybe cognate with Druid.
O.Celt. (derwos) "true"and or O.E., (treow) "truth".
O.E. (wit) wisdom, knowledge.
Deru-wit -- true knowledge, ultimate knowledge?

Similarities?
Interestingly the origins of the Surname David is said to be: Welsh, Scottish, French, Portuguese, (West European Coast?), English and Czech, Jewish.

Ishmael wrote:

Will you expand on this please?
Ishmael

wizard wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

Will you expand on this please?

There is a lot to say about it but the matter began for me with this question...

What is Martin Luther doing canonizing scripture during the Reformation when the Bible was supposedly canonized in the third century in response to Marcion's earlier attempts? How could the matter have remained open for more than 1000 years of Church history?
wizard

There is a lot to say about it but the matter began for me with this question...

What is Martin Luther doing cannonizing scripture during the reformation when the Bible was supposedly cannonized in the third century in response to Marcion's earlier attempts? How could the matter have remained open for more than 1000 years of Church history?

That's a good point -- but I am eager to know more about why you think the Bible was written in Britain.

Or could the Bible be based on events in Britain?

For example: Caractacus (perhaps a Celtic derivation of the name Khrist's -- 'annointed' prince).

Could Caractacus be the basis for the revolutionary prince of the (Iutae -- Bre-Iutae) fighting against Rome, Slavery, Taxation and Loans (usury)?

Iutae - Yutae - Jutae - Gutae..
Celtic Bre, = Noble
(Bre-Iutae) (Bre-Gutae) ...
(Brigantes) may either translate to "the high, noble ones"
Ishmael

wizard wrote:
Or could the Bible be based on events in Britain?

Well, part of it appears to be based on the mythology of North American natives (and yes, we have good reason for thinking the North American legends were the source rather than the copy).

Could Caractacus be the basis for the revolutionary prince of the (Iutae -- Bre-Iutae) fighting against Rome, Slavery, Taxation and Loans (usury)?

Could be. But if so, it is more likely that this is because British History and the Bible were both fabricated from related source materials. Neither is likely set in the correct location or time periods, even in so far as they relate "true" history.
wizard

Ishmael wrote:
Could be. But if so, it is more likely that this is because British History and the Bible were both fabricated from related source materials. Neither is likely set in the correct location or time periods, even in so far as they relate "true" history.

Agreed!

Ishmael wrote:
Well, part of it appears to be based on the mythology of North American natives (and yes, we have good reason for thinking the North American legends were the source rather than the copy).

Will you expand on this please!
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

There are no coincidences: the Gaelic languages are not Indo-European, they are part of the Semitic group. Phoenician, Hebrew, Tourag, Arabic, Canaanite, Aramaic, Berber, Irish, Welsh, Manx, Breton, Scottish and Cornish all belong to the VSO (verb-subject-object) group of languages.

Has no one ever wondered why there are so few vowels and so many consonants (many of them doubled) in Welsh.

They are all derivatives of the original Bronze Age maritime language that was spread from the Atlantic to the Levant.

The two oldest written manuscripts (the Torah and the works of Homer) were first written in Canaanite/Phoenician.

There are NO GREEKS in the works of Homer NONE.

There are only place names that were transferred from their origin to a new destination by migrating peoples. Just like there is a Newcastle in Australia; a Manchester in the USA; a Carthage in South America.
Keimpe

In: Leeuwarden, Frisia

wizard wrote:
"After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure?" (Gen.18;12).

I liked that one.

Did you find these similarities yourself? Do you know Welsh as well as Hebrew?
Keimpe

In: Leeuwarden, Frisia

Komorikid wrote:

There are NO GREEKS in the works of Homer NONE.

You tell them, Komori!
Ishmael

Hmmm... just thinking about this again....

We have evidence that English words have found their way into the Hebrew Torah (at least one English word). It's not proof, but it's very good evidence. Won't get into that evidence here at this time though.

I wonder if it is possible that Hebrew is a form of written Welsh and that some English words drifted into Hebrew by way of Welsh?
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in