MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How the Ancients measured the Earth (Megalithic)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keimpe

In: Leeuwarden, Frisia

Hatty wrote:
then look at this:

It's the St. Michael Line, intersected by the 'dragon current'.

What's this "Dragon Current" about???
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

My original contribution to this debate (I think, I am never quite sure) was to take Keimpe/Hatty's idea of a long straight horizontal edge (eg Waddon Hill, but the whole 'bowl' of Salisbury Plain would do it better) and say that 'simultaneity-of-observation' can be achieved in two ways -- by shining bronzed surfaces or making loud noises -- and having things relayed as necessary. It is known that various 'mysterious megalithic constructions' produce loud and distinctive noises in certain circumstances.

Once you've got the time lag between the sun touching a point there and again there (on an east-west line) then you can...um... compute the speed of the turning earth or whatever. And by measuring the angle when the two points are north and south, you get the circumference of the earth. Probably. I'll leave Brian to work out the details.

However, and not just because it is definitely mine own, I still prefer measuring the angle between rising and setting sun at the two ends of the Michael Line. It is reasonably straightforward measuring how far north Norfolk is from Cornwall since points-of-equal-latitude can surely be computed easily enough so you would be doing an Aswan-to-Alexandria calculation as soon as you got a place in Wales parallel to Norfolk and due north of Cornwall. However this is tricky in practice since you can't walk due north from Cornwall to Wales, as you can from Aswan to Alex,.hence the importance of Avebury, halfway along the line from where you do do the actual calculations.

In fact, now I come to think of it, if Avebury is halfway in distance, it will also be halfway in latitude between the two ends of the Michael Line and so direct calculations can be made at Avebury for all kinds of things, knowing that they represent the situation at Cornwall and Norfolk. Working out the halfway point on the Michael Line is only a matter of time and resources thrown at the problem, it is not difficult technically.
Keimpe

Mick Harper wrote:
'simultaneity-of-observation' can be achieved in two ways -- by shining bronzed surfaces

That was my idea, although it's not a novel idea, because Brian also hinted at it during this mini-quest, and I asked him to tuck that idea behind his ear for later. I'll tell how I intend to use that method here in my next post.
Keimpe

Mick Harper wrote:
I still prefer measuring the angle between rising and setting sun at the two ends of the Michael Line.

Problem is (and I've mentioned this before), you can't see the rising sun properly from Cornwall (because the rest of England is in the way) and you (probably) can't see the setting sun properly from Norfolk (ditto, the other way around).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Surely it is not necessary. Once you have a stone circle to squint along you just note where the sun is going down at the point where you last see it -- it goes practically (ie at this level of accuracy) straight down from there, does it not?

However your point raises a more interesting one. By utilising the Michael Line, on a known day of the year, it is possible to get a wondrously accurate squint at the sun's exact rising point (at Norfolk) and also its setting point (at Cornwall). With a known angular distance between Norfolk and Cornwall, known halfway point at Avebury etc, this should give you access to all sorts.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Keimpe wrote:
Brian Ambrose wrote:
When you get to the sea at the other end, you stop and set up a second observatory there.

Unfortunately, there isn't one there.

There wouldn't be much evidence now if there had been an observatory. The coastline of eastern England is subject to erosion on a grand scale and Norfolk is no exception. Whole villages have toppled into the sea in places. There are 'causewayed enclosures' in north-east Norfolk but they haven't been excavated yet. (It is hard to say how much digging has been done in these benighted isles; in the case of, say, barrows 10% is a rough if generous guess.)
Keimpe

Is there a village or city in Norfolk on which it's agreed upon nowadays that the St. Michael Line ends (or rather begins) there?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

From previous correspondence, wasn't it the current Norfolk/ Suffolk boundary or something similarly significant?
Keimpe

I don't know. All I need is a name that Google Maps recognizes. So far I've had to sort of guess what the end point should be. I'd rather have a more fixed village/city/whatever.
Hatty
Site Admin

The official endpoint is Hopton-on-Sea.

Bromholm might be worth investigating. The Priory which was owned by Cluniac monks was the centre of a thriving pilgrimage industry due to its relic of the Holy Cross known as the Holy Rood of Bromholm(e). Holm is said to mean 'rising land' or island in OE. (And talking of 'broom' why was it considered unlucky in May in Wiltshire, Sussex and Suffolk? Domesticity was a distraction from the serious business of angle-measuring?)
Keimpe

Hatty wrote:
The official endpoint is Hopton-on-Sea.

Are you sure? It makes all the interesting parts of the line miles and miles off. Caister-on-sea would be much more appropriate.

Google however, says you're right.

I however, think there's not an official end point on the north-east side of the line. South-west it's evidently St Michael's Mount, and if you want all the interesting stuff like Brentor, Burrow Mump, Glastonbury Tor and Avebury on it, then you have to extend the line to Caister-On-Sea, period.

(the line to Caister-on-sea is also 6 kms longer than the line to Hopton-on-sea)
Keimpe

Let's wrap things up:

It's amazing how things suddenly seem to fall into place, once you've looked at things from a new perspective. I guess some of our members have had this more than once. For me it was a first, and I loved every second of it.

After I got home I started wondering how Silbury Hill could have been used to measure the earth. First of all, you probably want to measure in a North-South direction, since then you get the polar circumference. Because, even if you would be able to measure earth's circumference as an extension of the St. Michael Line, it would be a rather meaningless circumference. There's only two that matter: the equatorial and the polar. Not some odd diagonal one.

So, would there be a place north of the Avebury complex with a May 1 sunrise moment that exactly coincides with the Silbury Hill sunrise? So you can measure the difference in the angle towards the sun? And would the distance between that point and Silbury Hill be measurable?

And then it hit me. Hadn't I been there myself only days ago? Walking the Ridgeway, 100(s) of yards above the plains? Extending to the north as far as the eye can see? I even took pictures:

There's no need of a second observatory with the same Silbury characteristics. All you need is one fixed moment in time and a means to relay that moment to another phsysical location, as fast as possible, preferrably instantaneous.

So how about using the speed of light? Maybe King Sil's legend about his shining armour wasn't about some buried King, maybe it was about how Silbury Hill was used! A mirror (or some shining bronze plate - after all, we're talking bronze age here) could have been placed on top of Silbury Hill in the direction of the top of the Ridgeway (only a few miles away), from where it could be deflected in the direction of the plains as far as the eye can see!

Then you measure the angle towards the sun from your most distant point, after which you measure your distance to the Ridgeway over fairly even terrain, and you're in business.

When I started to investigate a possible Ridgeway - Silbury Hill connection, I stumbled accross another marvellous coincidence: it seems that when walking from the Ridgeway towards Avebury, during the last couple of miles, Silbury hill seems to pop in and out of view over Waden Hill with every step you take.

Someone even gave it a name: The Silbury Game. How wonderfully naive ... here's more information:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4757

Ofcourse, this triple alignment of Silbury Hill + Waden Hill + The Ridgeway is most likely a tool for very accurately measuring the sun at a certain position/moment. Very much like looking through the barrel of a gun.

So that's my theory: the polar circumference of the earth was measured several thousand years B.C. on one particular May 1st, shortly after sunrise, by deflecting the sunlight hitting Silbury Hill back towards the Ridgeway and then in a nothern direction. As far away as possible the angle towards the sun was measured, then the distance towards the Ridgeway was measured and from this the polar circumference could be calculated.

I'm sure there's more to it than this. I hope it's just the beginning of much more. Surely, Silbury Hill has more tricks on its sleeve. Maybe West Kennett Longbarrow is involved (it's in direct view of Silbury Hill), and maybe even Milk Hill and Tan Hill. Who knows. There's an awful lot to explore.
Hatty
Site Admin

I completely agree that there is a relationship between the Ridgeway at Overton Hill and Avebury at Silbury Hill. The fact that Silbury cannot be seen until you get to the end of the Ridgeway is surely deliberate. The Ridgeway predates Avebury of course, its original function was presumably what it does best, trace the easiest though not straightest route to the Goring Gap.

When you look at the horizon from within the Avebury complex it appears bowl-shaped but level. (Looking at a similar site albeit on a smaller scale, a Bronze Age enclosure in Dorset, I immediately thought "it can't be natural, it's too perfect a bowl" but was told by a stone expert that it's a 'sink hole'.)

Would not someone signalling from Overton Hill be in full view of Silbury's 'twin', the Marlborough Mound, also? The Mound is on the same latitude as Silbury. (The Normans built a keep on it, apparently the college swimming pool follows the line of the castle moat). The two sites are not intervisible but they are linked by the Kennet river; sound travels over water.

On an earlier Ridgeway walk I went past Temple Farm, formerly part of a Templar estate, which overlooks a valley and thought "what a fabulous view that house has". I now realise it is due south of Barbury Castle up on the Ridgeway and the "fabulous view" is north/north-east facing. It might have been on a north-south alignment. Makes you suspect it's one coincidence too many.

Silbury Hill was constructed at the same time as the pyramids, part of a wider phase of measurement, great minds everywhere trying to find a solution to a conundrum that's on the intellectual agenda, like calculus or evolution later?
Keimpe

Hatty wrote:
Would not someone signalling from Overton Hill be in full view of Silbury's 'twin', the Marlborough Mound, also?

Perhaps. I hope so. Certainly this Mound must have a purpose?

The two sites are not intervisible but they are linked by the Kennet river; sound travels over water.

Nah, I can't imagine using two methods for fast communication, if there was any communication necessary at all between the two hills. Maybe they had their own special purpose for observing or measuring things. I can't believe an entire system was set up just to measure the circumference of the earth. They may also have been looking at sun, moon, planets, eclipses, etc.

Silbury Hill was constructed at the same time as the pyramids, part of a wider phase of measurement, great minds everywhere trying to find a solution to a conundrum that's on the intellectual agenda, like calculus or evolution later?

I have the feeling that monuments like Silbury Hill and Marlborough Mound were put up for practical purposes ("let's measure stuff"), and monuments like Stonehenge and the Pyramids were put up to brag about the results ("look, we cracked it!")
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Welcome to the "I know something nobody else in the world knows" Club, Keimpe. Just one minor point

Because, even if you would be able to measure earth's circumference as an extension of the St. Michael Line, it would be a rather meaningless circumference. There's only two that matter: the equatorial and the polar. Not some odd diagonal one.

Surely all circumferences are equally important when it comes to measuring...um...the circumference. They are all the same after all. Unless you are claiming that the Ancients knew about the polar dent and the equatorial bulge and felt these worth measuring.

However north-south and east-west measurements do have a very great importance when it comes to earth-surveying. Indeed, it might even be that having measured the earth's circumference with sufficient accuracy via the Michael Line they could use this knowledge when conducting sound-and-vision experiments on Silbury Hill.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 19

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in