MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How the Ancients measured the Earth (Megalithic)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Boreades wrote:
360/7 is 51.42857142857143
Put that in a geosite as the longitude and what do you get?

Doesn't that imply that Avebury is contemporary with the founding of the Greenwich meridian?

Oh wait. You said Longitude but it appears you meant Latitude. Correct?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Correct!
Arse/Elbow.
Ishmael

More Echoes of the Ice Age?

Henry Lincoln, of Holy Grail fame, has discovered (perhaps quite by accident) a series of pentagrams etched into the geography of Southern France. Those of you who would have us believe in artificial mountains might wish to ponder how Lincoln's pentagrams might have been manufactured---and why?

The following documentary details the discovery. I recomend jumping ahead to 45:50.

Original DaVinci Code~Henry Lincoln

Now my own idea is thus:

The South of France, like Italy, was under water at the end of the last Ice Age. It was at this time that a number of artificial islands were made, and a number of others flattened, as a means of simplifying the navigational seascape. The ocean subsequently receded, leaving many hill-top towns in its wake.

I predict similar geographic forms will be found along the coasts of Italy.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Bit of a coincidence that this is the source of my "English statute mile" comment!
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
...though the material is by Robin Heath. What is mine is
a) the idea that the longest line on Lundy Island (which is the island in question to those still struggling to keep up) is a north-south bearing (the authors are a bit vague) and
b) that the island was artificially chiselled into this state.
Which is why I'd like somebody to check this out.

If this is true of Lundy, is it also true of Britain?

The Spine of Albion is the result of a 15-year quest to uncover Britain's longest north-south axis called the Belinus Line, which connects six major cities including the ancient capitals of England and Scotland from the Isle of Wight at the base of England to Durness at the very tip of northern Scotland.
--The Spine of Albion
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's well worth reading. The two authors are friends of mine and Hatty's (he was a fellow-speaker at Glastonbury). The most intriguing thing about the book is that the two of them used dowsing to find (kinda independently verified) places of interest.
Jonm

One way to measure the Earth is to find a high spot with clear views over sea (at least 60km).

You then build a flat topped platform (preferably using water to make level) and place sticks with a bar so that you can see how far down the horizon is below your platform:

Here's a picture of how I did it: In this particular case, I did the experiment at equinox, so could find the angle using sunrise (from one set) and then sunset looking back from the other bar: You measure the height difference that the second bar is above the first when your eye is at a level that aligns the far bar with sunrise (or sunset looking the other way)

However, ideally you would use a flat platform

From your platform, you then work your way to the coast using a water level and poles (not more than 20m or so high: the height of a tree-pole). For this you'll need 'station platforms' all along your route: Each one inter-visible from the other and with a level difference of no more than 20m. From this you can determine your height above sea level.

Now that you've got the angles down to sea level and the height, finding out the size of the world is a very simple calculation. My measurement using this system was about 5% out

The platform I did this from is at a very large flat topped Neolithic mound, about 2m high, with views over sea east and west, that can be found along the South Downs way (an 8000 year old track).

Along that track-way to the coast, there are a series of smaller neolithic platforms, each inter-visible with the next and each no more than 20m level difference. These platforms work their way right to the coast (near Beachy Head)

Mick Harper
Site Admin

But surely, assuming some kind of Megalithic civilisation, this would only have to be done once. Then the question would be, "Now we know the circumference of the earth, we can start measuring .... "
Jonm

Hi Mick

But surely, assuming some kind of Megalithic civilisation, this would only have to be done once. Then the question would be, "Now we know the circumference of the earth, we can start measuring .... "

You're going to get someone who says: "We're not on a ball, we're on a curved disk". You can't prove they are wrong using one experiment, so you have to find other locations to verify.

There are other locations that this would work: There's the Isle of Wight and there's a place just further along the coast whose name I forget. Both of these locations have high level views over sea from a promontory.

Having two or more locations, you can verify that you're on the same ball: If the figures work out the same, you're on a ball. If they are different, you're on a disk.

At each of the above locations, there is a high point. At both of those high points there is a large flat topped Neolithic Mound (the one on the Isle of Wight is at St Katharine's Hill). There are also remains of mounds leading down (not quite so many as at the Eastbourne location where it seems they are all preserved)
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

When we were inching our way along the Cornish part of the Ridgeway aka the Michael Line, we noted that from various sites, often conical-shaped hills a la Glastonbury Tor, there were views over both the English and Bristol channels and wondered what the significance might be. Do dual-horizons chime with you?

[Also wondering about the depressions considered to have been dew-ponds, associated with high places, or hill-forts as they tend to be (mis)named. It may be that providing drinking water -- who for? --wasn't the main purpose.]
Jonm

Hi Hatty

It's not something I've looked at. But the dual horizon is important if you want to measure the size of the Earth accurately. Ideally you need to look over sea.

I've read the thread. Earlier a line was mentioned which terminates near Eastbourne (page 8 of this thread). The hill mentioned above is approximately on this line.

jon
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

A line from Beachy Head via Silbury Hill ends up at Castell Bach in Cardigan Bay, described as a Celtic hillfort and remarkably similar to Galician 'castros' in north-west Spain. Notice the levelness!

Castell Bach is a Celtic iron age settlement and promontory hill fort which dates to about 300 BC. The settlement occupied a flat plateau and was protected by double ditch and earthwork defences the remains of which are still evident today

The outcrop may have been a tidal causewayed islet. At any rate it seems to acted as a wind-/wave-break

Immediately to the south west of this site is a small sandy beach in a tiny cove. The cove is sheltered by a rocky knoll which is almost an island. Together these form an attractive feature.

The sheltered nature of this cove may have been significant in the placing of the settlement but it is impossible to know just how much two and a half centuries of erosion have altered this part of the coastline.

While I was on Google Earth I looked at Carn Menyn again and extending the line from Poppit Sands and Cardigan Island, found it went to Aberdaron, the "Land's End of Wales" on the Llyn Peninsula. From there it continues north to the very tip of Holyhead, South Stacks, which is indeed the land's end of Wales.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:

But they weren't measuring the circumference of the Earth.

They were measuring the size of the yard-stick!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

OK, I'll buy it but you'll have to be (as usual) less opaque.
Ishmael

Firstly, this post by Jonm was absolutely brilliant. One of the great posts of all time. Game-changing.

However, he states...

Jonm wrote:
Now that you've got the angles down to sea level and the height, finding out the size of the world is a very simple calculation.

Fact is, we don't have the height, because we don't yet have any standard measures. So what we're going to do is establish a standard measure by identifying a tall pole that, when erected at the two locations, results in a calculation for the world's size relative our original unit that can be divided by a useful, integer value. Such a yard-stick, when established, will then become our standard measure. Our "golden rod."

Every yard stick we manufacture afterward is tested for accuracy using the same system. If accurate, it will produce the same values when erected at the two heights. To guard against error introduced by land subsidence at our original testing facility, we erect a number of such island observatories and test each standard yard-stick at all locations. The yard-sticks we manufacture, once proven satisfactory, are exported all the world over---thus the British Mile becomes the standard for all the peoples of the Earth.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  
Page 17 of 19

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in