MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How the Ancients measured the Earth (Megalithic)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Folk = flock? As in Folkstone, part of the Shepway district of Kent.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Folk = flock? As in Folkstone, part of the Shepway district of Kent.

I really think the key is fork.

Folk are people who live where the roads converge. The crossroads. This is where the churches were erected also -- to protect the roads from evil spirits looking down from above.

But of course, the churches were the original crossroads. Churches = Circles. These were the stone circle navigation devices for cross-country travel. Out of them grew the first roads -- footpaths and cart paths.

A while back we had posted an image of a town erected right in the center of such a circle. That is how I think all towns were once upon a time. The folk lived inside.
Hatty
Site Admin

North-fork and South-fork suggest a north-south division of England or two strands. Forked tongue at the end of the 'Dragon Line'?

We discussed forks in connection with Guido Fawkes, literally 'guide-of-forks' which precisely describes Hermes' function as God of travel, cross-roads and boundaries.
Ishmael

Guido Fawkes? I've forgotten. Who's this?
Hatty
Site Admin

Under torture, so the story goes, Guy signed his 'confession' as Guido Fawkes. The implication being that this was his secret ie. real name.
Ishmael

Oh right.

Man... this Guy Fawkes this is the most amazing esoteric mystery of all time! Someone HAS to write novel about this!
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Also sometimes written as Guye (or Guido) Faux.

So is there a connection between fork and false?
Hatty
Site Admin

Chad wrote:

We discussed faux and fox in one of the threads (and Fosse Way). Foxes are crafty (and 'royal' as in reynard?)

Not sure if bran is connected with brain but as we know crows are super-intelligent. A particular speciality of corvids is caching food, stones and assorted objects. It's a sign of intelligence as researchers are fond of noting. A lying tot has a high IQ. Apparently.
Ishmael

Chad wrote:

Well yes. But it's via the first language thesis of mine. Will post on that later. May not be relevant to this discussion.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

In a hand-waving sort of way, certainly yes. Forking is about dividing into 2: right and wrong, true and false, correct and incorrect, thing and not-thing... False is not merely untrue: it's about deception: an appearance versus a reality, an opposition...
DPCrisp

Folk are people who live where the roads converge. The crossroads. This is where the churches were erected also -- to protect the roads from evil spirits looking down from above.

"Fork" may well be the key, but it doesn't say "crossroads" to me. Fork is Y and crossroads is X... and it evidently made a difference since, traditionally {in Britain, at least?}, people did not live at the crossroads.

Dunstable is a classic example. As a kid going to school there, I couldn't understand why it was the only place centred on a crossroads: it seemed the obvious thing to do. But it's not in Domesday, not an ancient town: just a transient Roman presence at the junction of Icknield Way and Watling Street. It had to wait for Henry I's tax breaks to get people settled there, near his hunting lodge. The Fosse Way crosses Watling Street in the middle of nowhere even now.

Crossroads were for hanging people, burying suicides and that kinda stuff. Supposedly, malign influences would be confused by all the options and not be able to find their way back to torment the living. I think it more likely that the cross is itself so powerful that it's the only place that could cope with evil spirits: too much mojo for ordinary habitation.

The parish churches are likewise typically not erected at crossroads -- though there was a Priory of St. Peter at the centre of Dunstable from Henry I's day.

These were the stone circle navigation devices for cross-country travel. Out of them grew the first roads -- footpaths and cart paths.

Places to go before there are routes to get there? I don't buy it.

The first footpaths were surely "desire lines" (like the one across the corner of your lawn) where some of the possible routes in and around young settlements crystalised into preferred routes between important locations.

(If there is any substance to Mick's Megalithic System, though, it is surely illustrated in Great Britain by the megalith-rich but road-less western uplands giving way to the megalith-free eastern lowlands criss-crossed by ancient roads [or vice versa].)
Ishmael

DPCrisp wrote:
In a hand-waving sort of way, certainly yes. Forking is about dividing into 2: right and wrong, true and false, correct and incorrect, thing and not-thing... False is not merely untrue: it's about deception: an appearance versus a reality, an opposition...

Interesting!

But here is the root of the two terms:

Fa-khan = Fake
Fa-Tsar = False

I will explain later what it means.
Ishmael

DPCrisp wrote:
Crossroads were for hanging people, burying suicides and that kinda stuff. Supposedly, malign influences would be confused by all the options and not be able to find their way back to torment the living. I think it more likely that the cross is itself so powerful that it's the only place that could cope with evil spirits: too much mojo for ordinary habitation.

Interesting again!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It has to be remembered that roads (strategic roads) were royal and taboo, subject to various special regimes (including a strip on either side). It follows that crossroads (of strategic roads) were doubly taboo. All this flows from (my) assumption that when literacy is not available long distant anything has to be undertaken by special castes.

When literacy is around, ie in Roman times, crossroads become suddenly liveable, indeed economically welcoming.
DPCrisp

Durocobrivis didn't last past the Roman era. Dunstable didn't turn up for another 700 years.

S'funny how the town was founded in the historical period but still no one knows how it got its name. (The Downs are famous enough, but "Downs Stable(s)" isn't in the running.) There's even confusion surrounding "Durocobrivis".
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  
Page 14 of 19

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in