MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Great Minds Think Differently (Psychology)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

He is now in his fifties and not only a Zen priest but a multiple master's degree holder, including one in (gasp) English!

So what does he actually teach you?
lyndserae

In: A Spacesuit

Grant wrote:

So what does he actually teach you?

Why, Nothing, of course!!!
(wink)

He presides over our weekly discussion and meditation session. Most of the time, if there are no Zen questions or studies that people are working on, we talk about science fiction. He's crazy for "Battlestar Gallactica".
TelMiles

In: London

Just back on the web after a brief hiatus and would just like to say that, like Mick, I am right handed, but lead with my left whilst boxing. I also swap my knives and forks between hands and, despite being rated as "clever" by tutors, I found it impossible to learn a foreign language at school, I tried French and Italian and failed dismally. I also recently tried Spanish, and whilst I took more in than I did at school, I can now only remember very little.

In: Ramsbottom

For quite a few years now I have experienced regular migraine visual auras... no headache, just the zigzags. Then (in the last few months) I stopped getting them (may have something to do with increasing the medication to reduce my blood pressure).

Now during this recent period (though I have been concentrating on other things) I have been keeping up with events on the AEL but felt I had little to contribute and virtually stopped posting... (Anybody notice?)

Then about a week or so ago I had a blinder of a migraine (again without the headache) and since then the flow has returned... (Anybody notice?)

Incidentally, I have now managed to control my blood pressure by taking vitamin D3 (and lower doses of prescription medication).

So my question is: do any of you lot experience these migraine visual auras?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

virtually stopped posting... (Anybody notice?)

Yes.

since then the flow has returned... (Anybody notice?)

Yes.

If we were allowed winky-faces there'd be a sad one and a happy one. In that order.

I learnt today that lanolin is obtained from glands in an animal's (usually sheep's) skin. Does it have any bearing on D3? (not that I'm sure what the difference between vitamin D and D3 is but it might be another 'lam' connection)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have migraines on a daily basis.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

You certainly caused me regular headaches.
Grant

Chad wrote:
So my question is: do any of you lot experience these migraine visual auras?

I get asthma and three years ago I read that apple juice is supposed to reduce symptoms. I started drinking 250 ml a day of pure apple juice and it seemed to reduce my asthma symptoms. But after a month of this regime I started getting the zigzags (or scintillating scotomas as they are properly called). This happened about once a month or so on average for five minutes a go and I didn't get a migraine headache. But the first time it happened it was pretty scary - I thought I was having stroke!

Now some sources say apple juice is a trigger for migraine. It certainly contains various health-giving or health-denying chemicals.

I don't drink apple juice any more and I rarely get the scotomas but they still happen every eight weeks or so. I wonder if my apple-drinking orgy triggered a sensitivity or raised my blood pressure.. Do you like apples?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have been diagnosed as anaemic and put on iron pills. Being dubious about artificial thingies I switched to (the equally artificial but somehow more organic) iron water sachets. These have to be taken with Vitamin C (it says on the box) so for the first time I am taking Vitamin C in quantity -- I hate fruit'n'veg. There has been no change in my migraines.
lyndserae

I experienced severe migraines as a child and adolescent. They seemed to stop for me when I started my daily zen practise... I guess about 12 years ago.

I frequently experience both audio and visual hallucinations, though. I find them less alarming and more amusing.

Mick- I'm anemic also and I did the iron-supplement-with-orange-juice bit for a while. I was having these very odd cold, shaking episodes. I can't say if the iron helped because I was never very rigorous with it... just started eating more green veg. I seem to do best with continuous small meals, rather than the nutrient-spiking 3 meals a day business. I think (for me) it's more consistency within the bloodstream than actual content.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Ah but you're a sicko. I am just a brave soldier.
lyndserae

Mick Harper wrote:
Ah but you're a sicko. I am just a brave soldier.

AH!! Thank you for my first actual belly laugh of the day!! Wonderful ending to my tofu-veg-and-curry lunch!
berniegreen

In my teenage years I too suffered badly from migraines. One courageous teacher taught me to meditate. The migraines disappeared - not overnight but within probably two or three months.

Now I can diagnose the early onset, which is quite rare, and I can now just make it go away by quietly meditating in a darkened room.
Send private message Send e-mail
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Reading Chris Mullin's Diaries (he is/was a minor politician, MP for Sunderland South) I was intrigued to read the following snippette:

That is the third night running I have dreamed of being in the company of a Tory cabinet minister.... Goodness knows what it means but I dream continuously as if there's a newsreel in my head. It starts rolling even if I nod off for a few moments.

This is my experience too (especially that last bit) and I supposed it was normal, part of the human experience. I couldn't understand when the dream-experts kept going on about 'deep sleep' and 'REM movements', I assumed they were just getting it wrong as per normal.

So, does everybody here start dreaming the moment they nod off?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
So, does everybody here start dreaming the moment they nod off?

I often do too! In fact, I often begin to dream before I fall to sleep -- and this is in fact how I know I'm finally about to fall asleep after a bout of insomnia. My brain begins to dream of its own accord while I am still fully conscious, able to move and even to think about other things simultaneously.

However, my understanding is that immediate dreams are a symptom of lack of sleep. The body reacts to deprivation by pushing you into a deeper phase more rapidly -- anticipating that it will have little time for a more relaxed experience.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in