MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Going Walkabout (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrouchoMarxthespot

Incidentally I wouldn't get too carried away by the 'blooms/arrives early' aspect: The point is not that it is 'early', any more than other blossoms are 'late', but that it blooms first, when travelling might be reasonably thought to be safe after Winter has passed.

Remember the folk saying,

ne'er cast a clout, til may is out

The 'may' here is not the month, but the blossom, and the advice being given is not to cast off your (Winter) clothing, until the may blossom is out.

It isn't a piece of sartorial folk wisdom, but a survival one, about not being caught out by a last throw of winter. There would have been pent up demand to travel, which could be safely met once the may was out.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

GrouchoMarxthespot wrote:
Incidentally I wouldn't get too carried away by the 'blooms/arrives early' aspect: The point is not that it is 'early', any more than other blossoms are 'late', but that it blooms first...

The historiographical significance of the Mayflower is that the vessel's arrival establishes an American old-blood aristocracy and its attendant property rights. It does this because it arrives first.

The families that can trace their names to those documents that establish the historicity of this voyage, establish for themselves a pedigree of social and economic significance.

I submit that those documents might have been created solely for this purpose.
Ishmael

This Web site is maintained by a woman who is investigating stone and mound arrangements in North America. It's absolutely fascinating. I encourage Mick and Hatty to examine the data she has compiled.

Be sure to keep clicking "Older Posts" and also read through the links listed on the right column.

Two Headwaters Stone Piles

I'm not sure where she is. I think it's New York State.
Ishmael

My theory on the mounds is that all were built by the first forgotten explorers of the Americas -- who right now I suspect to have been German-speaking.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Yes, quite impressive. I liked the raven obviously. They don't look very weathered though.
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Ishmael wrote:
This Web site is maintained by a woman who is investigating stone and mound arrangements in North America. It's absolutely fascinating.

These just look like ambush/animal traps to me.
Ishmael

Very good idea! Have you any modern examples with which to compare these?
nemesis8

http://bit.ly/rrjGp7

There are still a few hunters who use and build these types of traps.

They are really multi functional, the higher ones serving as weather shelters, ambush points and the lower ones as funnels. (If you understand how deer/animals funnel it's very effective).

It's imposible to know if these are a variant of your posted example, without knowing the landscape etc.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They are really multi functional

Suddenly I have lost all faith in the 'hunter trap' theory.
nemesis8

You got problems with things that dont have an essence?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If I understand you aright, yes. In Applied Epistemology we are suspicious of multibarelled explanations since they offend Occam. They are usually indicative of 'experts' flailing around hoping one or other theory will strike a chord. I will use this example to amplify the principle.

Great! This will end the matter immediately! Uh-oh, the only example you give us is very old and underwater and "resembles an inukshuk – a type of "sculpture" used by modern-day Inuit to signal that they have been in an area”.

They are really multi functional, the higher ones serving as weather shelters,

Yes, all right, applies to more or less all buildings but still ...

ambush points

During the bad weather, you mean? Moose A to Moose B: "Let's wander over to that stone building ... as you do."

and the lower ones as funnels. (If you understand how deer/animals funnel, it's very effective).

Well, deer require ten foot barriers at all points and over a pretty wide area but I am all agog. And the entire thing covered in a roof to keep the weather out. Lucky the archaeologists weren't around otherwise we would have had a high status structure probably for ritual purposes to add to the list.

It's imposible to know if these are a variant of your posted example, without knowing the landscape etc.

Sort of backwoods boondockie kind of territory. There's a lot of it about.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
In Applied Epistemology we are suspicious of multibarelled explanations since they offend Occam.

Yes. How does the rule go again? There is never more than one cause. I've forgotten the formulation.

Someone ought to write these down.
Ishmael

nemesis8 wrote:

Then you will immediately produce a modern, working example of at least a variant. Eventually you will show how it corresponds to the stone works.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Yes, quite impressive. I liked the raven obviously. They don't look very weathered though.

How much weathering would occur on these rocks in, say, 500 years?
nemesis8

You can create a funnel using leaves, a river crossing, a group of stones. Your deer will run down it into an ambush.Providing they cant see you. That is exactly as you hunt today.

Deers naturally funnel.

A fence as suggested, does not make a good funnel, your deer will not run beside it, they dont "funnel" through two fences with a roof .... as you perceive...... as they simply dont often come across it day by day....in the wild.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43

Jump to:  
Page 43 of 43

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in