MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Tom Sawyer Principle (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Venezuela is resisting American aid because of its Trojan Horse implications. Richard Branson is organising a concert to raise money for Venezuelan aid. This week's competition is Which Trojan Horse Would You Choose?
Grant

Richard Branson is organising a concert to raise money for Venezuelan aid

I missed that. As a man grown wealthy on state aid, perhaps he should donate some of his cash? No, don't be silly.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Incorrect and a misunderstanding of the role of the rich. Branson writes a cheque for Venuzuela Aid. Big deal. Nobody notices, no consequences. Branson organises a charity event for Venezuela Aid, it's big news (it didn't reach you but it was on the CNN streamer). The money (like the aid) is not important in itself.

AE lesson (1): Hating the rich makes you happy but not wise. So stop hating the rich.

AE lesson (2): Bet you can't.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

AE lesson (3): Not hating the rich does not preclude action against the rich. If you wish to do so, and AE has no particular position on this, you will find it easier if you do not hate them. As those very wise guys say, "It's strictly business, nothing personal."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I could have been a paedophile but I didn't have the Latin.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

For that joke to work you have to be aware of E. L Wisty’s joke “I could have been a judge but I didn’t have the Latin” as well as know that there’s a conference on the subject going on in the Vatican. Paedophilia not E L Wisty. I’m probably the only person reading this who would know this. E L Wisty not the conference. Is a joke still a joke when only the person telling it understands it? I like to think so. Certainly I laughed a lot.
Grant

If you have to explain it, it makes it better, like T S Eliot and Jackson Pollock
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not sure about T S Eliot, I have something of a tin ear for poetry, but it is true with all branches of modern art. Presumably because they are intellectualised. Possibly to us what rhetoric was to the Ancients.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If you use Cosa Nostra (Influence Peddling) Inc money to finance your election campaign, you'll be OK but woe betide anyone who uses their own money. It'll be impeachment for you!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Passing The Mandate of Heaven

Monday 13th November, 1908: The Dowager Empress (of China) declares a new heir to the throne in the event of the Emperor's death
Tuesday 14th November, 1908: Emperor dies
Wednesday 15th November, 1908: Dowager Empress dies.

It makes our own office politics here at the AEL seem positively tame.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Fabulous new scandal from America. You pay the lacrosse coach half a million dollars, he gives your kiddie a sports scholarship, kiddie drops lacrosse on day one and goes off to do sociology or whatever. Funnily enough I used to tell people the same dodge was sort of available in the British universities of yesteryear when you only needed opposable thumbs to get in to do mechanical engineering and then, on day one, you switched over to do Eng Lit. Or, if they were oversubscribed, something else that didn't require any work.

But the American scam is important because now universities won't just beggar the younger generation through tuition fees, but the older generation via bribes. Soon nobody will be able to afford to go to university and we can scrap the lot. Except the College of Applied Epistemology. Sorry, but your kids won't get in for love or money so don't even think about asking Hatty who the go-to person is.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Two things never mentioned in the unending problem of fly-tipping
1. That local authorities should not be involved since there is very little correlation between where this (non-standard) rubbish comes from and where it ends up
2. That the cost of dealing with the fly-tipped rubbish is a zillion times more than the cost of disposing of it properly in the first place.

The answer therefore is for the national government to provide so many places for the free (and convenient) disposing of non-standard rubbish that it doesn't pay anyone to do it illegally. This blindingly obvious solution will never be adopted though because people will not see this as a 'problem sorted' but as 'bad people being rewarded'. This is because good people pay to have their non-standard rubbish removed, and there's an end to the matter.

So it will never happen. This is another example of 'righteousness must prevail' that absolutely drives me mad and the country to penury. When are these tossers, probably you tossers, going to understand that morality is just an input like anything else. I don't mind people paying money to feel virtuous -- like I say, it's an input like everything else -- but, please, not over fly-tipping.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Word has come down about the Tory leadership election. Those of you still ambulatory are to go round saying quietly but firmly, "Anyone but Dominic Raab." I don't know why we're backing him, it may be a cash job.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Library News

The British Library is planning to open a branch in Leeds, British Library North.

Popular agitation, was it? I remember Billy Bremner was always going on about it.

Libraries are vital because of the solidity of witness to the the history of our civilisation.

But not the British Library which refuses point blank to scientifically date any book that bears witness to the history of our civilisation on the grounds that such books are too valuable to be monkeyed around with on account of them bearing witness to the history of our civilisation. .

With just over 13% of people living in London it would seem fairer to give the rest of us the whole British Library. London could have British Library South.

That does seem fair. I'm not too familiar with this Restofus -- probably a new name for an old conurbation -- but if its got 87% of the population its claims are, in my opinion, well founded and should not be resisted by metropolitan reverse-Nimbies. In any case we need a bit of parking on the Euston Road what with this Eurostar and everything.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This popped up on my daily Twitter search (to find things to feed your appetites, it's OK, there's no charge, I enjoy it) https://twitter.com/rhodri/status/1111579324505829377
Apparently there's a thing going round comparing Speaker Bercow with that bloke in Fiddler on the Roof. What wounded me to the quick is that it had not even occurred to me that Speaker Bercow was Jewish. In all these years! His people are taxi drivers, according to Wiki, but that may be cover.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 46

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in