MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Tom Sawyer Principle (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

It's funny that Andy Burnham thinks that Manchester will only prosper if they get a faster train service to London. If that's the case it demonstrates that any extra money for transport should be spent down south
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

So what have we learned about Britain and Big? If we conclude that we do it badly, should we do it at all? Sometimes we have to. My own local big project is the Tideway, the London supersewer, due to come on stream (as it were) in 2025 and coming in on time and on budget at 4.5 billion. Why? Probably because it was paid for by its users, me via increased bills to Thames Water (reportedly going bankrupt but I don't know if the two are linked, I pay my bills on time and on budget). Also nobody cares about sewers so they are left to to themselves. This is presumably why Thames Water, an otherwise crap organisation, can build tunnels efficiently, and Crossrail can't. The Elizabeth Line being something of an add-on might have something to do with it too.

But there is the alternative of going small...
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Grant wrote:
It's funny that Andy Burnham thinks that Manchester will only prosper if they get a faster train service to London. If that's the case it demonstrates that any extra money for transport should be spent down south

Andy Burnham, mayor of Greater Manchester, said as much recently when he complained about the “chopping and changing” to HS2. Added Burnham: “But we argue it’s not the right solution for Manchester anyway. I think we should have north-south and east-west links but if you pinned me to a wall, I would prioritise cross-northern travel.”

If you give the money to Northerners they will join up the North.

If you give it to Southerners they will join up Oxford to Cambridge.

If you leave it up to Central government they will always concentrate on London.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Nonsense. The Oxford/Cambridge line goes via Bletchley Park and is clearly a strategic railway in case Herr Hitler comes calling again.
Wile E. Coyote

If you give dosh to Scotland you get the North Coast 500. Not much economic development, as the Scotch are now all retiring and acquiring a campervan, but you have to weigh in the positive of keeping the Union.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As you will recall, high speed trains started with the Bullet Trains of Japan. They were a great success but, surprisingly, nobody else took them up. The reason being that (a) they required completely new, vastly expensive and exclusive track and (b) trains were held to be old technology anyway. Who wanted motorised hansom cabs? They were admired but dismissed as a Japanese prestige project.

The Brits though figured they might try to get some of the speed gains by using existing track and, since they had Brunel's GWR which was originally laid out on quasi-Bullet lines because of the broad gauge, they introduced the 125 mph HST's in the 1970s. They were a revelation and promised to lift British Rail from the doldrums to the cutting edge. It was found that with a bit of judicious local speed restrictions where curvature of the track was too great, equally fast versions could be operated on all the British mainlines.

Finally the tilting train was experimented with to eliminate the curvature problems and take the whole of British mainlines into, if not Bullet territory, certainly good enough for British needs. Alas, British nerve failed and the tilting trains were abandoned, even though now with the Pendolinos it has been shown they would likely have been a practical proposition if stuck with. However...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

For reasons I have never fathomed, Bullet trains were belatedly taken up by France with the TGV and then by Italy, Germany and Spain. Although they were waxed lyrical about by France, Italy, German and Spain it was difficult to see what all the fuss was about. They never paid their way, they were only used by the chic, they never went quite where you wanted to go and they made nary a dent in clogged up motorways and ungreen airplane hops. But Britain decided it must have some Bullets to call its own. (HS1 was really French.) Now we have decided we're not going to have them and the penitent government has promised every penny they would have spent on them will go to doing what we should have been doing all along:

* ironing out the remaining kinks and capacity bottlenecks on the existing mainlines
* putting in connector links to make new mainlines eg the infamous east-west powerhouse line
* upgrading the northern commuter lines
* taking on the unions to make sure they couldn't cause mayhem every step of the way.

We are about to find out whether we can handle the small stuff now we know we can't handle the big stuff. My prediction: no, we won't, out problems are much more fundamental than that. Even the money will disappear down Treasury rabbit holes.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have posted up a story about HS2 on Medium here https://medium.com/@mickxharper/high-speed-britain-b3ed36ccf61c and it received this response from the sublime John Welford

Having crossed over various workings relating to HS2, what surprises me most is just how wide those working are - the swathe of countryside that is dug up on either side of where the tracks will go is enormous. I cannot imagine that our original railways, dug out with puck and shovel, caused anything like the mess that HS2 is creating - the actual rail tracks will be exactly the same width as those in place for "snail rail".

to which I brightly replied:

An interesting point. An HST is no wider than an ordinary double track mainline but it sounds as if they are working to 'motorway' specs. Is this yet another boondoggle? I will investigate and get back to you even though it is all moot now!

Any ideas?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not according to the official handout, issued when the Man from the Ministry was anxious to propitiate the locals

What will a typical HS2 corridor look like? The HS2 route will typically accommodate two railway tracks (one northbound and one southbound) with an overall width of about 19 metres (excluding fences).

The width of a cricket pitch. How naice. We now get 'a bogus list'

In practice, space requirements will vary along the route to reflect location-specific factors, such as line geometry, earthworks, adjoining land use and the need to incorporate mitigation. Overall, the rail corridor will be significantly narrower than a typical motorway in the UK.

Did you spot it? First of all they hasten to say, with the phrase 'location-specific factors', that any variations from the norm will be very much the exception to the rule. Then they use the weasel phrase 'such as', then they proceed to list them

* line geometry. An HST line doesn't have any line geometry, that's the whole point. It has a gentle curve one way, a gentle curve the other way, but mostly dead straight. How can this possibly affect the width of the corridor?
* earthworks Well, yes, both cuttings and embankments require a considerably wider corridor, you'll have to give them that. Though a lot of the cost overruns were because tunnels were bored to iron out these things. (Not just to avoid vole colonies and Tory MPs' koi carp ponds.)
* adjoining land use Sorry, this has got me baffled
* the need to incorporate mitigation This, I suspect, is the boondoggle. I presume they mean the nuisance factors of sight, sound and vibration. What that means, as far as I can see, is houses too close to the train. Cutting through farms, industrial estates and other commercial considerations is just a matter of stuffing someone's wallet with cash. Or telling them to stuff it.

It's not hard to put together a civil service type scheme. Somebody figured early doors that it was far too complicated making allowances for this or that house en route so told the contractors to adopt a corridor yay wide and 'we'll pick up the pieces later'. The contractors added a margin for safety and the bulldozers erred on the other side of that. The fences went up a few feet beyond and an access path was built around the lot with a margin generous enough to cope with heavy equipment. 'You never know ahead of time, do you?'

Bob's your uncle, you've got a standard motorway layout that the contractors have been working with for donkey's years. Loads of elbow room. Now we can really get cracking.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The EU is a club with rules that twenty-eight countries have signed up to voluntarily. One of those countries is Poland. The Poles broke two of the rules when their government (1) took control of the major media outlets and (2) sacked their judges and replaced them with government stooges. The EU in turn (1) brought these infractions to Poland's attention (2) protested vigorously when the the Polish government took no notice (3) got rulings against the Polish actions from the eurocourts, and finally (4) withheld several billions of EU money earmarked for Poland (for, as it happens, post-Covid relief).

I can't help thinking that if the EU had adopted this policy when Mrs Thatcher started swinging her battle-axe, things would have been very different. We would either have left in high dudgeon in the 1980's or not left at all. (Although since we always owed them rather than them owing us, maybe not.)
Wile E. Coyote

The Poles are not accepting the "principle of supremacy of European Law".

In actual fact this princple is not in any EU treaty that the Poles signed. And the United Kingdom took a similar position that even after joining the EU, parliamentary law was ultimately supreme, and that fundamental aspects of domestic law took precedence.

“cannot be resolved simply by applying the doctrine developed by the Court of Justice of the supremacy of EU law, since the application of that doctrine in our law itself depends upon the 1972 Act.”

So "principle of supremacy of European law" is not a rule, it's a doctrine developed by the European court, European judges in effect created case law, that their law was supreme. Which most member states, most of the time, play along with.

The Polish judges that have retired or been sacked are arguably wrong in that they should have carefully paid equal attention to their own constitution and own law, rather than just advocating that Poland needed to follow Europes judgements blindly. They needed to dress it up more.

We of course always fudged it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is interesting. I had bought the version spun to us by the anti-populist meedja. I still do to some extent even though my heart tends to be with the locals. I suppose it's basically a case of 'you knew the score when you signed up even if we didn't spell out what you were signing up to'.

We did get a bit by fudging, the question is: did we get more by handbagging them? The answer of course is yes but only at the cost of losing out in myriad ways over the next twenty years because we were so unpopular. But overall, the villain of the piece was the EU ideologues with their manic one-way ever-tighter union policy when they should have been fudging it. If only they had once said, "OK, guys, you weren't ready for that, we'll backtrack a smidgeon."

PS I get the impression that our leaving has left little impression.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I realised one reason for why all new construction projects cost such a lot, when idly listening to an account of the redevelopment of a college. (This is a paraphrase from memory.)

"When I asked why I couldn't sit in the gardens I was told they were temporarily closed to staff -- I would need a hard hat if I did! When I asked why since no work was scheduled for the gardens, it was explained to me the gardens were between two areas of present work requiring hard hats and workers needed to walk through the gardens when going from one to the other. When I asked why the gardens couldn't be declared a non-hard hat area, I was told that would require a completely new risk-assessment, a report submitted and agreed. The whole site might have to be closed down while that wended its way through the relevant authorities."

This is part of a wider problem which I'll dive into presently.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Australian wet left turned out in force yesterday for a referendum but Okkers turned out in even greater numbers (61% to 39%) so it's raw prawn time again for the Abbos.

First Nation Australians agreed with the verdict pointing out that the proposed constitutional changes would have changed nothing. "What did they expect?" said a spokesperson for the well-beaten Yes campaign. "Don't they know how important gestures are?"
Wile E. Coyote

It will be interesting to see if Anthony Albanese resigns having lost a referedum on a proposed "historic" change to the constitution.

My feeling is he won't as.....

"We will of course contnue to seek better outcomes for First Austraiians", um, err, "well, hang on, I might have said "historic" but I really meant it was more symbolic than anything else."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next

Jump to:  
Page 43 of 46

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in