MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
War on Terrorism (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Ever since Deng Xiaoping's accession I have always taken the Chinese government's side over, say, Tienanmen Square or the Hong Kong riots on the grounds that governing China is a tough gig and they are making progress. However, the present treatment of the Uighars is so disgusting that I have changed my mind and the best path forward now must be one of (reasonably) relentless pressure on the Chinese government in pretty much any way that is practicable.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
If anyone honestly thinks the dispute can be brought to an end by negotiation ... let 'em try. It can only end one way and that's the utter defeat of one side or the other and the Arabs ain't going anywhere.

I guess it depends on what you mean by total defeat. The Jerry were defeated in WW1 but 20 years later, they were ready for WW2, yes, yet another defeat, but it don't seem to have harmed them. In fact they seem to be rather thriving on it. This is the thing, nations trundle on. You can't really defeat them. Empires are of course another matter, you can't beat the Jerry but the EU is doomed. Doomed.

Nations survive. Empires collapse.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An excellent point. As I have oft pointed out, no nation-state, once established with the same borders for a hundred years, has ever ceased to exist (except Scotland and England, but they are harbingers rather than exceptions). (And Korea for some reason but I'm on the case.) Israel was established in 1948 and seems resolved not to have the same borders for ten years, never mind a hundred.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Someone wrote:
Empires are of course another matter, you can't beat the Jerry but the EU is doomed. Doomed.

Nations survive. Empires collapse.

Has anyone told Guy Verhofstadt?

The EU Parliament’s Brexit co-ordinator Guy Verhofstadt took to the stage at Lib Dem conference this evening to claim the EU is “acting too little” and needs to become an empire, to rapturous applause.

12 minute speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v3xruukans
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Has anyone told Boreades I'm not Wile E Coyote? I just wish I were.
Boreades

Names have been changed to protect the guilty.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The destruction of the Saudi refineries by drones is a milestone in warfare. There is no feasible defence to this modestly-priced yet awesomely destructive weapon and is the first such since the invention of the Whitehead torpedo in the eighteen-sixties. It is instructive to remember what happened after their introduction.

There is still no defence to the torpedo. The best antidote is simply to downsize ships so the loss of one is not decisive. The American supercarriers have been very lucky they have not actually had to fight a naval war -- they would not last long unless at the centre of huge and unwieldy masses of smaller ships. And remember, unlike drones, torpedoes are discrete weapons, fired singly (in salvo's, if you see what I mean) from discrete and relatively expensive weapon systems of their own. Ten per cent of the world's oil supply has been interrupted by people with towels round their heads driving landrovers (or Iranians of a similar primitivity).

No, I think we are in for an era of downsizing in very many areas.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I suppose I ought not to point out that the countries who will most benefit from the Saudi strikes are

1. The United Kingdom which extracts the most expensive oil in the world and has one and half of the world's two largest oil companies (BP and Shell) neither of whom have major Middle East exposure
2. Venezuela which is entirely dependent on a high world oil price for getting out of the hole it is in
3. Ditto Russia

But I still think it was either the Houthis or the Iranians.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The AE solution is to train birds to intercept the drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DEg2qZzkU

No I am not training Corky.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is quite an interesting solution. After all (it is said) airport authorities use hawks to keep away birds that cause airstrikes. Though if you trained birds to immolate themselves on drones you'd have quite a considerable lobby on your back. I cannot claim that drones really will be revolutionary but I can say, after the Gatwick shenanigans of earlier this year, that the authorities don't seem to have come up with the solution yet. How exactly, for instance, do you stop a drone flying through the front window of the White House? Especially fifty drones.

And this is rather the point. When the first 'drone' was used -- the V-1 in 1944 -- it was found reasonably quickly that you could with some difficulty deal with a single drone but, like the torpedo, it is so much cheaper than its target that the other side can always swamp the defences.

PS Except in this case it wasn't. The V-1 was expensive and tended to kill extremely disposable civilians.

PPS I read yesterday that twice as many people (5,000) died building the V-2 (in underground German slave labour factories) as were killed by them (2,500). That is two per rocket. And the programme cost the German economy the equivalent of 25,000 fighter aircraft. Go figure. They clearly didn't.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Take a look at the Vincent Fuller case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-49652977 In any other context his actions would be prima facie evidence of insanity and even if he was stone cold sane this is not worth an eighteen-stretch which, in many ways, is worse than an indeterminate life sentence.

I accept that 'sending a signal' is a legitimate purpose of sentencing policy but we must take care not to overpunish on the basis of modish unfavouritism. Vide the Muslim groomers of teenage girls getting weighed off for twenty years plus for crimes that, if not victimless, were certainly not twenty-years-worth of trauma for the victims. Grooming, remember, precludes force. I know of no non-violent crimes that get this kind of judicial savagery other than Great Train Robberies and spy cases.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Vide the Muslim groomers of teenage girls getting weighed off for twenty years plus for crimes that, if not victimless, were certainly not twenty-years-worth of trauma for the victims. Grooming, remember, precludes force. I know of no non-violent crimes that get this kind of judicial savagery other than Great Train Robberies and spy cases.

Are you off your medication again?

Or are you just grossly insensitive and unaware of the length of time this went on for, and the number of young girls involved in these organised crimes?

It's not twenty years for a single event, like the Great Train Robbery, it's multiple events over many years.

You are completely wrong to call this a non-violent crime. In cases like these, the emotional violence and injury can last many years more than physical injury.

You may, however, wish to pay attention to the policies of local police forces. Who were often aware of these crimes for years, but failed to respond in a forceful manner for fear of being called racist, or provoking civil unrest, or just turned a blind eye.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/grooming-gangs-uk-britain-newcastle-serious-case-review-operation-sanctuary-shelter-muslim-asian-a8225106.html
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I disagree.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

The ran trains on these girls.

You're an odd duck Harper. And we need that. But please try to refrain from participating in human society.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Since you raise the point, let us remind ourselves what society we are dealing with. Neither of you will be familiar with it but, for a variety of reasons, I am. Actually, two societies:

1. The world of teenage girls who are either in care or perhaps ought to be, in medium-sized English northern towns. They are bored to tears, are incipiently into minor crime and minor drugs, and are essentially feral.
2. The world of young to middle aged Muslim males in medium-sized English northern towns. Their culture precludes them from 'normal' sub-marital relationships with women and 'normal' social outlets of young-to-middle aged unmarried men. They are bored to tears and are incipiently into minor crime and minor drugs. They are not feral but they are disassociated.

Both bring things to the table for the other and that is important because medium-sized northern English towns -- whether institutionally or socially -- make no effort to do so. It is not just the police that ignore them. Theirs is a sub-culture that society ignores until somebody decides it's all very scandalous and something really must be done about it. What they do about it is send the men off to prison for twenty-plus years. They would have got less if they'd have murdered the occasional teenager. For, let us never forget, a consensual activity no matter how harshly you judge what 'consensual' means in this context.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 106, 107, 108  Next

Jump to:  
Page 60 of 108

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in