MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
War on Terrorism (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Let's go for broke and assume that Stephen Ward, or at any rate his osteopathic practice that Hatty has so kindly pointed out was being practised in unfeasibly expensive post codes, was the cover for back-back-channel diplomacy. That's not a pun either, that's the stuff that's really deep-state. The stuff that doesn't even get on the unofficial record. Just, you know, people shooting the breeze to see which way the wind blows. Now at least we can explain these otherwise inexplicable pair of quotes

While there he had opportunities to treat well-known public figures, the first of whom was the American ambassador, W. Averell Harriman

Later Ward treated Duncan Sandys, the son-in-law of Winston Churchill

But the problem with this kind of unattributable horse-trading is that people who disagree with the policy can't do it round the table face-to-face, man-to-man, but have to put a spoke into the back-back channels. I'm not even going there pun-wise but I am content to give you another couple of quotes we've already had

There she met many of Ward's friends, among them Lord Astor, a long-time patient who was also a political ally of Profumo

Profumo's tenure as war minister coincided with a period of transition in the armed forces, involving the end of conscription and the development of a wholly professional army

Well, that's one way of putting it. The other would be that Duncan Sandys' seminal 1957 White Paper advocating that Britain should go over to press button missile warfare was being strenuously resisted by all the armed services who rather liked the world as it was. So let's complete the quote

Profumo's tenure as war minister coincided with a period of transition in the armed forces, involving the end of conscription and the development of a wholly professional army. His performance was watched with a critical eye by his opposition counterpart George Wigg, a former regular soldier.

And it was Wigg that triggered the Profumo Affair. Oh, and by the way, it wasn't the Tories giving way to Labour that's important (that's strictly five-year stuff) it was the Churchill/ Sandys/ Eden/ Home generation giving way to the Macmillan/ Profumo/ Wilson/ Heath generation that really counted. Quite a cockfight. I wonder who won in the end.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I sent Hatty off to get some dirt on Sir Norman Brook and she came back with some dirt on his big mate, Sir Roger Makins. You can't get the staff. Anyway, it's Maclean of Burgess & Maclean and the net is closing. The Foreign Office has decided on his arrest and interrogation first thing Monday morning.

At that stage, White, Hollis and the Foreign Office chiefs had all realised that Maclean had spotted the London watchers. Nevertheless, he was allowed to go home for the weekend as usual.

Not surprisingly the KGB decided that Maclean had better scarper on the Friday night. But there was a snag

Maclean was supposed to be on duty in London on the Saturday morning so his absence would be noted too soon for safety

Re-schedule the defection for Saturday afternoon? No need with so many people on the inside

so he arranged to be excused on a domestic pretext

Donald Maclean: Maclean here. My lad's playing rugby, can you get someone to cover me for Saturday morning?
Duty Officer: Well, I'm not sure, it's a bit unusual. And a bit short notice, if you don't mind my saying so.
Maclean: Have a word with Sir Woger. I'm sure it'll be OK.
Duty Officer (to the Head of the Foreign Office): It's Maclean. Wants to skip his Saturday duty.
Sir Roger Makins (laughs): As long as he doesn't want to skip the country!
Duty Officer: Well, he might, Sir, on account of knowing he's being watched and looking at the rest of his life in prison. Should I tell MI5?
Sir Roger Makins: I don't think that will be necessary.

His request was granted by the Foreign Office as soon as asked without MI5 being informed. The high level official who granted it, Sir Roger Makins, who liked Maclean, decided that there was no risk because he believed that the suspect was under MI5 surveillance around his country home as well as in London.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

it was the Churchill/ Sandys/ Eden/ Home generation giving way to the Macmillan/ Profumo/ Wilson/ Heath generation that really counted

I wrote that in haste and as a tease. I really will have to dive in and dig deep if Gore Vidal, the son of a cabinet minister and sometime candidate for president, writing in 1948, is to be believed

The Cliveden-Churchill Set are too well entrenched and I shouldn't be in the least surprised if they created some sort of dictatorship that could never be thrown off without a revolution
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

'The Cliveden Set' was coined in 1937 by Claud Cockburn, the founder of "an extreme Left-leaning" paper, The Week.. Cockburn was an influential journalist and continually denounced the Astors and their circle (which included Churchill and Chaplin) as pro-German and imperialists up to the beginning of the war.

Cockburn was a member of the Communist party but was free to attend meetings in Britain and abroad. He had been friends with Roger Hollis at university, and later in Shanghai, though Hollis never mentioned this to MI5, and it seems plausible that Cliveden being the venue for Profumo's and Keeler's meeting was Cockburn's idea. Everything about the event had had to be planned so presumably the location itself wasn't random?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Cockburn, it is known now, was a KGB agent. He had the brilliant 'cover' of appearing to be a Communist! But you have to remember it wasn't always easy being a Communist. So far as his KGB instructions were concerned, Churchill was the enemy during the 'Popular Front' period of Russian foreign policy in the mid-thirties, then a friend during the 'anti-Appeasers' period, then an enemy after the Ribbentrop Pact, then a friend after the start of Barbarossa, then an enemy during the Second Front Now campaign, then a friend after the visit to Moscow and the agreement over the Balkans, then a friend/enemy after the Katyn discovery, when holding the Poles firmly in line was British policy while no less firmly holding to the Curzon Line, imposed by Churchill & Co in 1921 in favour of Poland, abolished by the Molotov/Ribbentrop Pact in 1939 and which the British but not the Americans were once again hankering after in 1945. Put that in your paper, Claud.

Even in Churchill's second period in office -- which is the one we are concerned with here -- Cockburn had to tread carefully because the British were pro-Soviet and anti-US/France over Indo-China and recognition of Red China. It was only after Churchill left office, and after Suez and the Nassau Agreement, that Britain finally threw in the towel and agreed to become the fifty-first state of America. And why the Profumo Affair stubbornly refuses to give up its secrets.

He says darkly.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Though on Profumo specifics, Cockburn could have had no input into choosing Cliveden in 1961 but, as contributor to and occasional editor of Private Eye, he certainly had an input into the initial outing of Profumo.in 1963.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Breach on Netflix, the story of the capture of Robert Hanssen, "America's worst spy", illustrated one of the ongoing features of the Profumo Affair and why sleeping dogs are still lying. Although the FBI are portrayed in the film as dazzlingly efficient in fingering Hanssen, it is only at the cost of reminding the viewer that the FBI must have been staggeringly incompetent to let him get away with it for so long. He shovelled so much material to the Russians that, as one character put it, "None of us needed to have come to the office for the last twenty years."

Whichever side Hollis was on, there's a lot to be said for his policy of never catching anyone, and when some other agency caught someone on MI5's behalf, letting them go with a very stern warning not to do it again. After all, it's the illusion of security we're mainly paying for. One can't help thinking that the only really decisive bit of spying in the twentieth century -- the atomic secrets handed over to the Russians -- served the world rather well.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

With the UK having helpfully seized an Iranian tanker in support of EU sanctions, no doubt the EU is going to throw its full diplomatic weight in getting the two tankers the UK has had seized by Iranian Revolutionary Guards back.

"Je suis au regret de vous informer".......
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Whichever side Hollis was on, there's a lot to be said for his policy of never catching anyone, and when some other agency caught someone on MI5's behalf, letting them go with a very stern warning not to do it again.

In his autobiography Brian Sewell says the last sighting he had of Guy Burgess was when Burgess came out of Anthony Blunt's room at the Courtauld Institute, the eve of Burgess's disappearance (as he realised the next day). Everyone at the Courtauld knew about Burgess's visits to Anthony Blunt, the institute's Director, but no-one said anything and Blunt wasn't questioned by the police.

Despite the furore over the defection of Burgess and Maclean in 1951 it may be that 'ordinary' Brits were fairly sanguine about the Cold War, the Russians may even have retained a certain lustre as the heroes of the Second World War. But it doesn't explain why people kept schtum after reports about Stalin's purges, the gulags, the extent of espionage, were being circulated. One might expect attitudes in the early 1950s to have evolved ten years on but apparently not a lot changed.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Blunt's KGB files show that on 9 January 1949, Blunt had informed Moscow Centre that MI5 had sought his permission to use a room at the Courtauld Institute for meetings with foreign agents that had been recruited in Soviet bloc countries.

Even if MI5 didn't know Blunt was a KGB agent it is surely stretching coincidence too far that, of all the buildings in London to conduct their most sensitive briefings, MI5 would happen to choose one run by somebody who turned out to be a KGB agent. Or maybe all the buildings in London were.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Just to combine the tankers and British incompetence, it will be greatly disheartening to find out that we just sleepwalked into the whole thing. And just to combine Iranians and terrorism (which this thread is supposed to be about, I feel guilty about my own hijacking of it), you can't. They just don't go in for it. The Revolutionary Guards would regard it as entirely unworthy of them. Asymmetric warfare is their bag. The Iranians finance terrorism, but every government does that.
Wile E. Coyote

I have had a gentle saunter through Profumo.

My question would be was Hollis using, or even did he promote, Profumo's dalliance with Keeler to gather intelligence/ spy on the government of the day, ie to manipulate Profumo with a view to promote the interest of the underperforming security services.

Just asking?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I can't see Hollis wanting to promote the interests of MI5 since he was working for the opposition. He didn't need to big MI5 up for his own advancement since he was already at the top. Profumo was clearly a security risk independent of Hollis by virtue of his womanising and general loucheness. The theory is that Hollis steered him in the direction of Ward's stable of women. It didn't matter which one Profumo dallied with (personally I'd have preferred it to have been Mandy R & D) because whichever one it was, Ivanov would have been ordered to sally and dally with also, thereby creating the 'security risk'.

I have finally got my greasy maulers (it's Tesco Big Sticky Bun Tear'n'Share day) on The Denning Report. With the no less enthralling 1990 preface from the Good Lord saying, looking back thirty years, he got it completely right! I will share morsels with you when I've stopped laughing and feeling less full.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lord Denning is not a judge in the "Oh, really?" tradition, more in the "Thank you, officer, and so I can make sure my note is accurate, the defendant said, in the back of the police car, "Course I dun it, copper, you lads were just too quick for me." Denning's main brief was to reassure the British (and American) public that there were no adverse security implications in the Profumo Affair. In order to do this he had to believe that Ivanov, in the period between arriving in London in March 1960 and attending the Cliveden swimming pool party in July 1961, did the following

1. Made such a spectacle of himself, drinking and womanising, as to trigger an MI5 honey trap
2. Allowed himself to be unwittingly honey-trapped by the Editor of the Daily Telegraph introducing him to Ward.
3. Becoming great friends with Stephen Ward
4. Making many visits to the Cliveden cottage and the mews flat awash with Ward's women
5. Getting drunk with Christine Keeler at the mews flat on the evening of the swimming pool party, resulting possibly in some kind of sexual activity but probably not and only that one time.
Wile E. Coyote

The Stena Impero is a Swedish-owned tanker, and those on board are Indian, Russian, Latvian and Filipino. Still the Iranians have our flag (eagle).

It's a symbolic humiliation.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 106, 107, 108  Next

Jump to:  
Page 57 of 108

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in