MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
War on Terrorism (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 106, 107, 108  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

All this tosh about clever, new generation, assymetric warfare, Gerasimov (the patron saint of assymetric), after losing his elite forces around Kiev, has done much better by a combo of mobilising prisoners, constructing trenches, and refitting T 60s.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Yes, people always forget that Russia improves its warfighting capabilities exponentially during wars. It would not surprise me if they conquer the whole of Ukraine. This time.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Ukrainians have at last recognised the realities of the war. After months of telling us their offensives were making steady if slow progress, an official spokesperson said last night, "Our soldiers have been fighting magnificently and the frontlines are now stable."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Definition of Chutzpah

This was opposed by Israeli cabinet ministers who themselves lived in illegal settlements... Al-Jazeera
Wile E. Coyote

It appears to Wiley that, given they have been up against the might of the Russians who most analysts thought, prior to the invasion, had one of the strongest militaries in the world, General Valerii Zaluzhnyi didn't do badly enough to warrant sacking?

Maybe the plan is to reinstate him if they now go backwards......
Mick Harper
Site Admin

All war leaders find themselves in this position. They can't sack themselves, they can't sack the army, who's left? So long as it isn't (as reported) because he is fearful of the bloke taking his job, I don't mind too much.
Wile E. Coyote

Whilst I don't want to sound too conspiratorial, he is killing off the lot of them. Navalny will not be the last. Girkin is probably next.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is a puzzle. There does not seem to be any need, these people have little in the way of real mass popular support. Like this weirdo who had his application refused because some of his signatures weren't acceptable. I can only offer two possibilities:

1. Putin is adopting the 'Catholic' approach, that all heresy must be crushed at all times because you never know which may have legs
2. Putin is preparing the way for a genuine CP/Tsarist-style autocracy.

I would add 'going mad' but it's too orthodox. I see no other signs of derangement. You need all your wits about you to run Russia.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Axis of Resistance to Israel in Gaza has become a ring of steel. Susan Sarandon is now securely in place.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

News that Israel's GNP is down 20% in the last quarter is the first good news outa there for some time.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

News from the Sahel

Ecowas has lifted sanctions from Niger. They had found that applying sanctions to a country that is 191st out of 192 countries in the Poverty Index hurts them more than it hurts them. But they're tough hombres, Ecowas. They insisted, before lifting the sanctions, that Niger's military government agree they will start roughing out a timetable for a return to civilian rule. "Yessir, Mr Ecowas," said Lance-Corporal Ibrahim, "I'll pass the message on."

In Senegal, they are rioting because the local strongman has put off elections. Al-Jazeera's man on the spot started interviewing rioters and at one point grabbed hold of and started to spin round a hulking biker in full crash helmet and accessories, who had two of the opposition candidates stencilled on the back of his Hells' Angels-style jerkin. The bloke was just about to deck him him when he remembered, just in time, the power of the press.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
News that Israel's GNP is down 20% in the last quarter is the first good news outa there for some time.

This is because of the attack by Hamas, and later Hezbollah, causing a lot of business to shut in rocketed areas, and all construction work was temporarily stoppped due to a halt on permit workers. So the major losers are the 150,000 Palestinians, both from Gaza and the West Bank, who were on work permits and who did much of the construction work. This work was very popular with Palestinians as it paid much better and is much safer than, say, the work undertaken in Gaza. The Gaza work was about as safe as building Qatari football stadia.

The construction work in Israel is restarting, GDP is downgraded but still predicted to rise by yearly 2% so all will be back to normal, with more foreign workers but without the Palestinians.

I fail to see this as good news.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wasn't saying it was very bad news but--so far as I know--it represents new news for Israelis who aren't used to their foreign policy costing them money. There's no point in arguing things from the point of view of Palestinian pocket books. Nobody could argue that the State of Israel is anything but a powerful force for good economically. My guess though is that those 150,000 Palestinians are celebrating every much as Palestinians without an economic stake in their overlords.
Wile E. Coyote

Covid did greater damage to the Israeli economy than Hamas has done. A few months of partial construction shutdown is no problem.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Do you dig holes for a living, Wiley?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 106, 107, 108  Next

Jump to:  
Page 107 of 108

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in