MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
War on Terrorism (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Pres. Biden: "If Russia invades…then there will be no longer a Nord Stream 2. We will bring an end to it."

Reporter: "But how will you do that, exactly, since…the project is in Germany's control?"

Biden: "I promise you, we will be able to do that."

https://t.co/uruQ4F4zM9 pic.twitter.com/4ksDaaU0YC
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Oh, I see, we're taking some gaga geriatric's word for what American foreign policy is, are we?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Boreades wrote:
Pres. Biden: "If Russia invades…then there will be no longer a Nord Stream 2. We will bring an end to it."

Reporter: "But how will you do that, exactly, since…the project is in Germany's control?"

Biden: "I promise you, we will be able to do that."

https://t.co/uruQ4F4zM9 pic.twitter.com/4ksDaaU0YC

This is the timeline.

In June 2021, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that Nord Stream 2 completion was inevitable. In July 2021, the US urged Ukraine not to criticise a forthcoming agreement with Germany over the pipeline.[29][30] On 20 July, Joe Biden and Angela Merkel reached a conclusive deal that the US may trigger sanctions if Russia used Nord Stream as a "political weapon". The deal aims to prevent Poland and Ukraine from being cut off from Russian gas supplies. Ukraine will receive a $50 million loan for green technology until 2024 and Germany will set up a billion-dollar fund to promote Ukraine's transition to green energy to compensate for the loss of the gas transit fees. The contract for transiting Russian gas through Ukraine will be prolonged until 2034 if the Russian government agrees.[31][32][33]

Nord Stream 2 AG filed for bankruptcy on 1 March 2022 and laid off all 106 employees from its headquarters in Zug, Switzerland.[38]

Russia invaded. Germany suspended certification. NordStream filed for bankruptcy. The US had no need to blow up a pipe line, when certification was already suspended due to the international pressure (presumably US was lobbying for this) on Germany. Biden didn't say he would blow up the line. He said he would stop it. Maybe he did.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As I pointed out before, Russia has contractual obligations to supply oil which got obviated by 'force majeure' when the explosions occurred. I grant that this is a bit thin but it's still one helluva lot fatter than any finger pointing at the Americans.

I also pointed out that the Ukrainians were a cui bono party but for President Zelensky to hire a Colombian drugs cartel submersible for a black op would only have been feasible when he was an actor playing the part. Now he's wearing the jersey for real, he wouldn't dare. Would he?
Wile E. Coyote

REASONABLE CAUSE TO SUSPECT

A Mother's Ordeal to Free Her Son from a Kurdish Prison By Sally Lane.

The mother of Jack Letts has published a book about the family's eight year battle to get their son out of a war zone, amd is getting helpful publicity from the British nationals. Jack's mum is apparently now wondering if her liberal parenting led to his decision to join ISIS.

Jack flew to Syria as a teenager in 2014, using money that had been given to him by his parents to visit a friend in Jordan, and they were subsequently convicted of terrorism offences after sending him additional money, despite being told by the police not to.

The good news for Jack who, like Shamima, has dual nationality, is that he is now off to Canada, for presumably a stint on a deradicalisation programme.

It's probably something along the lines of, this is how you cope with Trudeau and your parents without wanting to go and join another terrorist organisation.

Cripes, could anyone survive without regressing?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This whole business of 'fighting for terrorists' has taken some bizarre turns. To state my own position: anyone should be able to go and fight for whoever they like. And for any reason -- a sense of adventure or liking to kill people included. If people break British law when they do so then they have to face the consequences on their return, but one of those consequences should never be loss of citizenship (a totally alien conception to British sensibilities). But you shouldn't be stopped from going on the offchance you might break British law. You should also be able to send money to whoever you like. Especially your own children.

The idea behind recent 'terror legislation' is that the British government will deem who is a terrorist and who isn't. That is a dangerous ambition. If you go and fight for the Kurds today there is no guarantee that the vicissitudes of British foreign policy precludes the Kurds being declared terrorists tomorrow. Which they are! If you can find any party to any present day conflict that doesn't go in for terrorism in some fashion or another, you're a better man than I.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
If people break British law when they do so then they have to face the consequences on their return, but one of those consequences should never be loss of citizenship (a totally alien conception to British sensibilities).

I dont remember a lot of protests or newspaper articles, when they attempted to strip Abu Hamza of his British citizenship, in fact according to Wileys hazy recollection, just about everyone seemed to think it was a good idea, and that any decent Home Secretary, should be cracking on and banishing him back to Egypt. In fact as I rember it, it was generally seen as a sign of the Home Office being "not fit for purpose", that he couldnt be bundled on a plane, when the Egyptians revoked his Egyptian citizenship thwarting our attempts to be rid. And of course the press and public are also quiet about Abdul Aziz, Adil Khan and Qari Abdul Rauf. They were all prominent British Pakistani members of the Rochdale grooming gang.

Why are these terrible injustices' of denial of British citizenship to dual nationals Abu, Adul, Adil and Quari ignored, if the public are that concerned, but the rights of Shamima and Jack championed?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This goes to the heart of citizenship. We constantly roast the Iranians for not recognising dual-citizens and lock up British citizens (who are according to the Iranians, Iranian). Just as we used to scoff at the Americans trying to rid themselves of 'Italian' Mafiosi by returning them to a country they'd never even seen. I often wonder what would have happened if the Italians had refused them entry!

Sure, Shamima & Co are nuisances but they're our nuisances. To cheapen British citizenship for such tawdry gains is quite deplorable.

Signed
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

PS What would be the attitude today towards people going off to join the International Brigade in Spain, 1936? Or to support Franco, if it comes to that (as Kim Philby did). The government was broadly sympathetic to the Republicans but held firmly to a policy of non-intervention.

Would we have ordered them back when it became obvious that the NKVD had broadly taken over the Republican side? No need! The NKVD was not a terrorist organisation, merely the executive arm of a government that terrorised people by liquidating them on the grand scale. You kill ten people, it's terrorism; you kill a thousand, it's state policy.

"Hi! You're back from Spain, are you? You wanna join a kibbutz? Here's your passport. But don't get involved with Irgun or the Stern Gang when you get there. At least not when they are terrorists committing outrages against the British -- it's OK if it's just Arabs. You'll be invited to Buckingham Palace when you become a government minister."
Wile E. Coyote

PS What would be the attitude today towards people going off to join the International Brigade in Spain, 1936?

Well, if you took it on current policy, then the vast majority lucky to make it back are not deprived of their citizenship irrespective of what they got up to, as they are not dual nationals. The Secretary of State cannot make a British national stateless, even if there is evidence he is a danger to others within Britain on his or her return. That is why we are talking about so few cases. Most Britons are not dual nationals.

This leaves the dual nationals, let's say a British Canadian like Jack. On curent policy he had a problem because he was a dual national so could legitimately go to Canada rather than become stateless if his British nationality was revoked. The Secretary of State, it is claimed, had evidence that he was a danger (in Jack's case it was claimed that he had messaged his parents that he wanted to commit a martyrdom operation) so the Secretary of State, after balancing the risks and knowing that Jack would not be stateless, withdrew his citizenship. Jack is now going to Canada where his parents now live.

We are really discussing, a small number of cases that pose very high risks to other British citizens, that are dual nationals that could live elsewhere. Begum it is claimed has a Bengali father who lives in Bangladesh, so again she might be able to live elsewhere. I think her father disputes this though. She is also arguing that she was brought up in Britain, so should be able to go back to Britain, and that she does not speak Bengali.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

the vast majority lucky to make it back are not deprived of their citizenship irrespective of what they got up to.

Yes, but under present legislation they can still be put in prison for backing the wrong side -- or in this case, either side.

as they are not dual nationals

I accept this is a small problem and has been solved by an entirely rational policy. What I object to is that the Home Office doesn't sit down with its opposite numbers and say, "OK, guys, who's going to step up to the plate for this one." It is rather, "OK, guys, you've drawn the short straw, he/she/they will be landing at your capital's airport at three p.m local time tomorrow. Best of British."

But I still say it is rather more than international discourtesy, it is a blot on the national escutcheon. As a Tunbridge Wellsian I have to say that our sense of national honour is steadily diminishing because of the 24-hour news cycle and the pusillanimousness of politicians. Though as an AE-ist, I say it's probably not worth making a fuss about. It might even be a good thing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There is great danger attached to the hero-isation of Ukraine in general and President Zelensky in particular. Just because it may be entirely deserved is irrelevant. They have war aims -- a return to pre-2014 borders -- that are entirely unrealisable so there must come a point when 'the world community' (as we are known presently) is going to have to call a halt to the war on Ukraine and President Zelensky's behalf.

This will earn us undying hostility from Ukraine which is bearable -- even useful in some ways -- but reaching that point is going to cost a lot of unnecessary Ukrainian casualties and a lot of our money. It will also cost Russia a lot of both but that is bearable -- even useful in some ways.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
There is great danger attached to the hero-isation of Ukraine in general and President Zelensky in particular. Just because it may be entirely deserved is irrelevant. They have war aims -- a return to pre-2014 borders -- that are entirely unrealisable so there must come a point when 'the world community' (as we are known presently) is going to have to call a halt to the war on Ukraine and President Zelensky's behalf.

Zelensky knows that his ambitious war aim, which his allies are helpfully talking up, is keeping a large number of Russian troops being tied down in defence of Crimea, it's also an area that the Russians have struggled to logistically support, made worse by damage to Kerch bridge. Keeping the aim will lessen Ukrainian casualties when they attack elsewhere.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wish I could believe you. Not that Crimea needs a ton of troops to hold (and don't forget they haven't got the Crimean Canal anymore either). Zelensky may know that he is saying these things 'to tie Russian troops down' but he will find -- as do all statesmen at the end of wars - that popular clamour may not allow him to drop it.

This is partly what brought Mussolini to power, when the Allies told Italy to take a hike despite promising them all sorts to enter the war on their side. Though of course the fascists are already in power in Kiev so this doesn't apply.
Wile E. Coyote

I don't see it myself, there is now after 2014 a largish Russian-speaking military contingent within the Crimea, to add to the historic Russian component. It would be a nightmare for Ukraine to try and seize and hold. They would certainly need tons of troops to hold it. No, they are not going to go for Crimea.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 106, 107, 108  Next

Jump to:  
Page 82 of 108

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in