MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spirals (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Ambrose

Ah, the ol' wallpaper theory gets a boost from your mum.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Right then....since there is no overwhelming evidence to the contrary, by application of the Allied Epistemological rule ....What is is what was' (I forget the number) we must declare the ol' wallpaper theory the winner by default.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Brian Ambrose wrote:
Coincidence? (there's probably an AE rule for that).

Yes. Rule #7.

There are no coincidences.

(By the way, for those of you at home, I'm just making up all these numbers)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

As I pointed out earlier with reference to leaders and parking meters, everyone must not only make up their own numbers but make up their own rules. However since this is a Counsel of Perfection and a command from your leader you should not do this either. You'll soon get the hang of it.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
As I pointed out earlier with reference to leaders and parking meters, everyone must not only make up their own numbers but make up their own rules. However since this is a Counsel of Perfection and a command from your leader you should not do this either. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Yes yes. Like all great philosophers, I'm just eager for the teacher to hurry on and die so I can get round to systematising your thoughts.
Brian Ambrose

Chad wrote:
Right then....since there is no overwhelming evidence to the contrary, by application of the Allied Epistemological rule ....What is is what was' (I forget the number) we must declare the ol' wallpaper theory the winner by default.

Yep, and Stonehenge is a washing line.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Yep, and Stonehenge is a washing line.

Any spirals there?

Wait a minute...what shape is a coiled up washing line?
Oakey Dokey

Now, how can a spiral be interpreted as a snake when we know that quality art is ancient or as old as snake deification?

Why not draw a snake? I suppose I really want to know how we get from a face-less spiral to a serpent.
Oakey Dokey

This looks to me like a man catching (or trying to catch) a snake:

But this, looks like wallpaper:

Now, I don't really believe that these designs are just wallpaper, but for years I have been dying to know what they truly depict and a snake just doesn't cut it for me especially since I have the utmost respect for early art forms apart from those that are clearly just rubbish. I never liked the habit of modern day people to assume that just because something is old, it is automatically good. There were always skilled and unskilled artists and no amount of years will endow the bad stuff with hidden quality.
Brian Ambrose

That's a hell of a lot of info extrapolated from what may be early wall-paper.

LOL. Yeah, I'm that good.

Actually I'm not by any means saying that the snake thing is the only possibility (although I must admit I have discounted the wallpaper theory - no choice I'm afraid, first it's pants, second it goes nowhere). I was merely taking what appears to be, in the light of the comments, the most likely explanation from the consensus view and then suggesting some possible implications that result. Of course, any or all of what I said is up for grabs!

But let's run with it, see whether it takes us anywhere.

The snake, originally speaking, was an un-named and un-deified animal. At what point did it become the "guardian and provider of the light of knowledge"?

I believe Satan worship goes back to very ancient times, and in the book of Genesis Satan was of course a snake, the opener of man's eyes to the knowledge of good and bad. The representation of Satan as snake goes way back. There are also legends of other providers of knowledge in all sorts of technologies and magic. I would give references if I could remember where I've read this stuff, hopefully others here with actual functioning memories (like Ray, thank goodness) should be able to provide more evidence of my assertion, otherwise I'll have to look it up.

How do we know what earlier men truly believed?

Indeed. Look at the Egyptians, their religion is completely incomprehensible to modern eyes, and we have a whole load of info about them. Snake worshippers, what did they believe? Just because they worshipped a snake/god of knowledge doesn't tell us anything at all about what they believed! But we may guess at links between their religion and their megalithic building works and wonder if their motives in each are linked, and at their worldwide influence and apparent disappearance.

Why not draw a snake?

Why not draw a cross? Or a fish? (I know, not brilliant examples) The original representation becomes a graphic, probably lay people didn't even know the spiral represented a snake.

I suppose I really want to know how we get from a face-less spiral to a serpent.

We see this sort of evolution all the time in commercial logos, away from the detail to more geometrical and abstract shapes.
Pulp History

In: Wales

But we do know that water was special in the eyes of the ancients. Wavy lines and spirals can all be seen to relate to water. Eddies create natural spirals in rivers - could these have been interpreted as some event or meaning? We'll never know, but they look like water to me.

And as to snake designs - why would this be important in Ireland?

And as to snake designs - why would this be important in Ireland?

Curiously, it was St.Patrick that allegedly drove snakes out of Ireland. Was a previous mythology placed on his shoulders?
Rocky

Maybe spirals were the first incarnation of mazes:
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/maze/simple/index.htm

Couldn't you call the maze on the floor of Chartres a sophisticated spiral:
http://www.demeure-alanon.net/odan/labyrinth_chartres.lg.jpg
Mallas

Brian Ambrose wrote:
Could they be representative of some astronomical event?

How else can you explain a wide range of civilizations all living at the same time, all drawing the same types of patterns (or carvings), but these civilizations have no direct contact with each other.

David Talbott has done extensive research into this phenomena.
Send private message Send e-mail
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Rocky wrote:
Couldn't you call the maze on the floor of Chartres a sophisticated spiral:

Looks like a diagram of the human brain. Graham Hancock points out that Crick's breakthrough discovery of the double helix structure, which won him a Nobel prize, was an LSD-inspired vision; according to Hancock, everyone, regardless of cultural or geographical background, encounters a snake-goddess after a dose of ayahuasca.

Helix means spiral. The double helix is eeriely reminiscent of the caduceus symbol to my mind; I wonder if there's a helix-elixir connection.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 8

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in