MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Salt Trade (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It is already clear that Pliny, in his description of the Elbe Marshes, withheld a few things from his readers.

What a fuddy-duddy. Going beyond what we actually know never holds us back.

But how big and grand the harbor really was can until now only be guessed.

That’s not entirely true, is it? If you remember, nobody knew it was there so there couldn’t really have been any guesswork about its size, could there? Just saying.

"All the finds we have made come only from the surface," concludes Nösler. "Everything here is tightly packed. At the first excavation probe, the archaeologists of the Institute of Coastal Sciences of Wilhelmshaven immediately hit on the ruins of houses." Nösler’s gaze runs over the barely visible elevation in the field, "But in truth, we haven’t even begun working yet."

You have worked wonders already.

ends
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

To one of these veterans belonged probably the gold coin with the head of the Roman ruler, Magnentius ...

This Roman coinage resembles a Anglo Saxon medalet.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liudhard_medalet#/media/File:Liudhardmedaletreplica.jpg
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've just had quite a friendly exchange with a British Museum expert about Anglo-Saxon coinage. When I asked him whether he knew of any genuine ones he gave me the standard blather but when I requested he specifically name a single coin with an Anglo-Saxon inscription (i.e. using the Anglo-Saxon alphabet) he went silent. Maybe he is still searching on my behalf (you would think on our joint behalf) but the days lengthen...
aurelius

There are the runic ones though. I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous posting on page 14 of NEW CONCEPTS: Coin -

Regards futhark inscription, I eventually translated this as
ecbald, who it turns out, is a moneyer. The coin is beautifully illustrated on page 46 of the Fitzwilliam Review,

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/FitzMuseumReview2002-2004.pdf

and if you are too busy to look at the site,

These East Anglian [Offa]
coins include a unique portrait coin
with the runic name of the moneyer
Lul in a zoomorphic frame on the
reverse, and an exceptionally ornate
coin of the moneyer Ecbald, also with
the moneyer's name in run
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, I am well aware of all this. It is not so much my wishing to find Anglo-Saxon letters on coins as on finding out why nobody can (or will) tell me whether there are any. It really does seem a simple enough question. This is important in two respects
1. Since the A/S alphabet is only known from a) manuscripts b) inscriptions on stone and c) coins and there are no provably kosher examples of a) or b) then it may be the A/S alphabet is a forgery which holds open the possibility that Anglo-Saxon is a forgery and the Anglo-Saxons are a forgery.
2. What's the matter with these twats?

I've given up on runes.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in