MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Turns out it was the British and Americans who bombed the city. But I suspect the numbers were indeed inflated by the Americans as a dig at the British as the Americans famously conducted daylight precision bombing on specified targets while the British did the area bombing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Killing people with ordinary bombs is always incredibly ineffective. A really massive raid would typically kill a few hundred. The only exception is when a 'fire storm' is created, essentially reproducing the effect of an atomic bomb, in which case tens of thousands are killed. This happened three times during the Second World War:
Hamburg (Anglo-American) killing 50,000, according to the German authorities at the time
Tokyo (American) about 130,000 according -- I think -- to the Japanese
Dresden (Anglo-American) about 80,000 though I don't know whose figure this is.

These are the figures I normally work with but of course you are welcome to apply various AE principles to them, the most obvious being The Tyranny of Large Numbers.

PS The Americans always conceded that it was the British bombers at Hamburg that did the damage.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Last night's Belgian noir disappointing. Jane Tennyson meets .... what? Midsomer Murders? Perhaps not fair to judge from just this one episode though it should act as the hook to grab audiences.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

This bodyguard is not just Frank Farmer or Terry McCann.

He is also part Nicholas Brody, part Travis Bickle....

Jesu he has a love/hate sort of thing with Julia Montagu

Phwoarr....
Wile E. Coyote

BodyGuard Ep 2

It's been a bad few days for David Budd. There was a terrorist attack on the school where he sends his children, so his family move to a safe house. There is a assassination attempt on Julia by Budd's buddy, who then shoots himself.

David is now being bullied by his wife, his boss and Julia. He somehow manages to foil terrorist plots and looks good in body armour, but doesn't get to wear the pants in any of his relationships. He is suffering PTSD and is vulnerable.

Julia spots her moment and invites him in with an offer of cod and chips.

On no, it's an Alex Salmond moment.....

David won't be able to go to the police, as there is now another female plod with a power hairdo (that's 4) who is manipulating him to spy on Julia. He could #METO but he doesn't see it. He still thinks he is in control.

"Don't Panic, Ma'am, it's what I am good at" He ruts away.

Julia is lying back and plotting her way to the leadership.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, I've been identifying with him too.
Wile E. Coyote

BodyGuard Episode 3

David Budd has only really been good at shagging and protecting so far. It turns out that in future he might have to do less of both. The Home Secretary and a few others have just been blown up, with David on watch, worse it looks likely he will become the prime suspect, after the security services have eliminated the helpless Tahir.

Julia, if she survives her second terrorist attack, and Budd, ("It's what I am good at, Maam") trying to strangle her (he has PTSD), will shortly make her play for the leadership. She only has the police, the security services, (whom she is double crossing in order to blackmail the PM) and her ex hubby, the oily chief whip Penhaligon now in her way. It seems that Joe public loves a Femdom for a home secretary.

Julia has new plans for her relationship with her bodyguard. She plans a glorious entrance to Number 10 wearing tight leather, with David crawling behind on a leash. He might then see he is being used, a tad, but I doubt it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If only you knew how deadly dull politicians are in real life -- and extremely nice as well.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An excellent programme on Nicholas Culpeper last night https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074syr/the-rebel-physician-nicholas-culpepers-fight-for-medical-freedom rather let down by the usual bias towards the hero of the story. First off the presenter asked us to believe, without comment, that an ill-favoured sixteen year old was just about to elope with the richest heiress in Sussex (there's probably a monthly list in the South Downs Tatler) when, on her way to the chapel, she was killed by lightning. An eerie foreshadowing of the plot line from The Leader of the Pack brrrm brrrm.

Talking of which the programme portrayed our Nick and William Harvey (the discover of blood circulation) as the chief rivals in two medical traditions vying for dominance (cue: some Civil War stuff). Because we are all into nature and the common man, it was Nick who was the good guy (herbal remedies for the poor) whereas the dastardly Harvey was for the physicians (bloodletting the rich and famous). The programme ended with the presenter, Benjamin Woolley, standing proudly in a major London teaching hospital proclaiming the NHS was the culmination of all Culpeper's strivings.

Nah, not really Benj. You see, not one of Culpeper's remedies worked. Honest, they were all total bollocks no matter how much you want to spin willow into being a poor man's aspirin and St John's Wort being good for the vapours. Whereas Harvey introduced scientific medicine which culminated with the NHS.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There's quite a good new spy series on the Alibi channel (BBC UKTV) called The Assets. It's a dramatisation of the Aldrich Ames case.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A whole series on ITV devoted to the Menai Straits. I wonder whether it will occur to anyone that it is artificial. Not promising so far ... much talk of the Ice Age.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Navigation is apparently so tricky that the straits used to be divided into three sections. I had the feeling they were making rather a fuss but the presenter stressed this channel is Wales's only saltwater river. As with the midpoint of the English Channel, it has four tides.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Navigation is apparently so tricky

I once lived with an old sea dog who had been courtmartialed and dismissed from the service for losing the Royal Navy's last remaining sailing ship in the Menai Straits.
Wile E. Coyote

I might not have got this right, but Hannibal's Elephant Army the new evidence... appeared to show that 3 smart modern folk with two pack donkeys couldn't get over (retracing Hannibal's footsteps) as it was way too icy for the donkeys.....

Anyway they happily concluded that made the big H's achievement all the greater.

It is not the conclusion Wiley would have drawn.
Wile E. Coyote

BodyGuard Episode 4.

Not much happened, other than the Scriptwriter has just killed off Julia Montague, in the good old days you didn't do this much ...

In the good old days the lead characters always used to reappear after a few minutes ....he had a bullet proof vest on! It missed a vital organ by a inch! But no longer....We have to suffer

In fact No Offence season 3 episode 1 has just killed off the lovely Joy Freers who happened to be guarding a leading politician. The similarities to Bodyguard, and Jo Cox, are somewhat striking.

David Budd is as depressed as the rest of us. He (err we males, with Julia rubbing her crotch shots) was being intimate with Julia Montague. What is to live for without Julia?

David shoots himself. Cripes (!)

Dramatic Pause............

It's a blank, you can shoot one main character but not a second. See what the script writer did there. He used the new cliche, shooting a main character, and mixed it with the old. Saving the main character.

It's a new mystery, who put the blank into David's gun?

If David can't protect Julia, he will surely find her killer?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Jump to:  
Page 34 of 147

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in