MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The best thing on telly at the moment is Call my Agent, a Netflix series about a Parisian arts agency. The only problem is that all the women characters are so impossibly elegant it is difficult to tell them apart and the voices don't help either, being uniformly incomprehensible. Also... they are all curiously unfanciable. The French must manage, I suppose, though not on the evidence of this series with one another.

My own experience is that London agencies are a lot less ooh-là-la. I was a biker to the stars once and lost a bouquet of flowers required by Marcel Marceau on a film set. Blew out of my backpack on the M4. Fame! A bauble. But I have learned one thing. It's harder getting an agent than it is getting a book published.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Tonite 9 pm. ITV. The Queen and David Attenborough wander round the gardens of Buck House chatting. She's got a cheek, he's getting on now.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I tuned in for my two-hour Stormy Daniels fix on CNN only to get a two-hour obit on Barbara Bush. What was spooky though was that, not five minutes before, I had been posting on this very site about death and another First Lady, Mrs Abraham Lincoln. I've always known I was psychic (second child of a second child) but this surely sets me up as the resident psychic on a TV series on the paranormal. And I'm not talking cable either.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thank God Watchdog's back. I don't particularly enjoy it but as long it's still around not much harm can come to us.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Do the Scots pay the licence fee? Apparently the BBC believes James 'came to the throne' in 1603 and was 'the first Stuart king'. I believe in patronising the Scots as much as the next person but this was on a history programme devoted to the Stuarts!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It was slightly worrying that an ex-Secretary of Defence (Michael Portillo) would think that an American secret radar installation at Orfordness was built on stilts 'to prevent people tunnelling into it'. No, Michael, acoustic reasons.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A wonderful whinge on Channel 4 News tonight.from Jamaican artists about how the world is exploiting them. Sorry, poppets, but artists of every country have been exploited by the world for ever and ever, and ever shall be. No exceptions for Jamaicans can be made at this time.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The term that gets used -- 'appropriation' -- is suggestive i.e. an act of agression, taking something away illegally and probably by force, rather than, say, 'cultural cross-over'. Hard to avoid offending people in a multi-cultural environment.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

But we must try.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Is it appropriate (no pun) for news programmes to have sections, often quite lengthy, devoted to social issues? They crop up so regularly that it seems to be editorial policy more than topicality that decides their inclusion.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Is it appropriate (no pun) for news programmes to have sections, often quite lengthy, devoted to social issues? They crop up so regularly that it seems to be editorial policy more than topicality that decides their inclusion.

Editorial policy. You mean, a secret agenda?

Someone's getting red-pilled.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am only now catching up with The Split (BBC-1). Remind me not to get married.
Grant

Someone's getting red-pilled.

On the British news programmes if you take out the features concerning a) Muslims b) feminists c) people of colour and their issues d) transexuals, trans genders, trans whatever and their problems and e) the environment, there actually isn't any news in the entire show
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am suffering from the same condition. My daily news sources are fourfold

1. Channel 4 News (7-8 pm)
2. BBC World News (7-8 pm)
3. BBC Newsnight (10.30 - 11.10 pm)
4. CNN Anderson 360 (1 - 3 am)

To take yesterday as an example
1. Channel 4 News devoted more than half of its running time to Manchester, One Year On. This is not news. It is an event -- a significant one perhaps but in news terms worth perhaps a minute.
2. BBC World News does not even pretend to cover world news -- it mainly consists of talking heads (and not, I assure you, the best talking heads) discussing Trump's latest enormity. The enormity may be news but the coverage is entirely comment. The rest is, as Grant would say, largely reportage on various ongoing liberal issues. Maybe important issues, but not news in the ordinary sense.
3. Newsnight is still a flickering beacon. Yesterday's lengthy interview with Steve Bannon was, for instance, terrific.
4. Anderson 360 is even more terrific but so narrowly focused on Trumpian misdeeds that it is best treated as a particularly engrossing soap opera.

I wonder sometimes how I manage to keep up.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

All of this media is created to hide news from you. The biggest scandal in American History is unfolding in the USA. Bet Mick has heard not a word of it.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Jump to:  
Page 31 of 147

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in