MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

If it was a Grand Scam from start to finish we are in ticklish 'conspiracy theory' territory. The standard objection would have to be met: how could such a complex scheme be carried out when so many individuals would know all about it and, apparently, nobody has 'fessed up from that day to this. On the other hand, if it was a fairly tight conspiracy -- an established gang of Egyptian tomb-robbing crims, Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter -- then this is (just about) do-able.

But what if it became a Grand Scam? The economics of archeological digs needs to be examined. They are extremely expensive if conducted away from home and not by undergraduates in their long vacations. Middle Eastern ones certainly were, even taking into account the cheapness of local labour. And there were plenty of them, so who paid? Local governments (whether native or colonial) might, prestigious universities might, wealthy patrons... er... did they? Dunno. I suppose it was fashionable, so maybe.

Did Lord Carnarvon? I doubt it...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

But there is another aspect of archeological economics that needs examining. The pecuniary value of what is found. From the Good Book

If evidence is archaeological, accept it only if it comes from a properly stratified layer, which means a properly conducted archaeological excavation and, in these days of crowd-funded digs, dug up by a bona fide archaeologist. You would be surprised who is allowed to wander in and how often they wander off with a memento of their visit. Worth a bit of money too but infuriating for professional archaeologists who can spend whole lifetimes without turning up an artefact of pecuniary value.

Ninety-nine per cent of archaeological finds have no pecuniary value beyond (maybe) selling the odd thing to a museum. Even Egyptian pharaohs' tombs will contain nothing beyond a mummy and other archaeologically interesting but financially value-less artefacts. Egyptian tomb robbers have had several thousand years to make sure of that.

But what if it is an unplundered Egyptian pharaoh's tomb? Well, so far as I know, there has only been one of them...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Actually I don't know whether that is true so I won't be going down our old favourite, World Record Lane. Let's just say they were incredibly rare which allows us to go down Bayesian Statistics Lane. Assuming there are unplundered pharaohs' tombs out there, how would we expect them to be discovered?

1. Most of all by modern ground scanning techniques. After all, they have by definition evaded discovery by thousands of years of tomb-robbers looking for them, so they must be incredibly hard to find.

2. By serendipity. There were a fair few pharaohs, they could all protect their tombs while their dynasty survived, they all knew their dynasty would not survive for the requisite time required i.e. eternity, so a fair few of them would make their own hard to find and had the resources to do so. But 'hard to find' stands no chance against Bayesian statistics.

Oddly neither of these applied in the case of Tutankhamun's tomb. Carter certainly did not have access to anything remotely scientific but nor was the find serendipitous. He had deciphered an artefact with Tut's name on it and, on enquiring where it was found, knew where to look. And lo and behold, his 'workers' stumbled across a flight of stairs going dahn, dahn, dahn.

That was his story anyway...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I cannot bring myself to believe that you can excavate an underground tomb complex in the Valley of the Kings without someone noticing so we may take it as read that the tomb itself is genuine. Since it is in the Valley of the Kings, maybe even a genuine pharaonic tomb. It is what is inside that is open to question. The sheer amount would, on our numismatic rule of thumb

coins from hoards are dull but authentic
single finds are exciting but dubious

point to authenticity. On the other hand, the state it was in -- to say it resembled a jumble sale would be an insult to jumble sales -- raises a very great question. The whole thing is dependent on not having been found by tomb robbers, so what kind of pharaoh is buried with a jumble sale to take with him to the afterlife? But then again, if it was put there by Carter & Friends, wouldn't they have got it sorted?

But what was 'it' anyway?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Carter meticulously recorded the contents of the tomb. It passeth all understanding that such a mountain of Ancient Egyptiana would have been meticulously collected by a gang of modem tomb ... er ... restorers, so either it is genuine or Ancient Egyptian fakes are available on the open market for a relative song.

But this is not what made Carter famous or the Carnarvon estate rich -- it is undoubtedly the case that genuine but standard Ancient Egyptiana is available everywhere. That was down to the 'treasure'. Most of all the famous death mask of Tutankhamun that has adorned so many book and catalogue covers ever since. The one that looks like every Hollywood film representation of pharaohs whether it is Ramesses II chasing Charlton Heston or Richard Burton wooing Cleopatra a thousand years later. Though of course, if it is genuine, they would, wouldn't they?

On the other hand, valuable Ancient Egyptian artefacts can be made to measure...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An accusation that Carter handled property “undoubtedly stolen from the tomb” has emerged in a previously unpublished letter sent to him in 1934 by an eminent British scholar within his own excavation team. It was written by Sir Alan Gardiner, a leading philologist.

As it happens, this dude gets a walk-on in Revisionist Historiography

You mean when the accepted chronology conflicts with the accepted chronology? I am fed up to the back teeth with all this. I am going right to the top with my complaints and in Egyptology that means Sir Alan Gardiner. At one with the pharaohs now but here he is, looking back at a career that had brought him so many accolades "What is proudly advertised as Egyptian history is merely a collection of rags and tatters."

but not relevant to this story. [Ya gotta get yer puffs in somehow.] It is this

Carter had enlisted Gardiner to translate hieroglyphs found in the 3,300-year-old tomb, and later gave him a “whm amulet”, used for offerings to the dead, assuring him that it had not come from the tomb.

Up to a point, Lord Carnarvon.

Gardiner showed the amulet to Rex Engelbach, the then British director of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, and was dismayed to be told that it had indeed come from the tomb

One way or the other
as it matched other examples – all made from the same mould.

Janina continues the saga next week but I hope I will have more important (to me) matters to deal with by then.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Trawlermen (BBC1)

The BBC would no longer need to rely on the licence fee if they hired out their camera crews to British trawlers. By a process that is not yet completely understood, all commercially-caught fish species in British waters instinctively know when a trawler with a television crew aboard is on its very last day out to sea, having had not much luck, and make for its nets in such abundant numbers as to make for highly satisfactory dénouements to said fishing trips.

We thank the fish for providing this service but caution them not to do so in such numbers as to jeopardise overall stocks. If they could ignore non-British ships -- with or without camera crews aboard -- that would be greatly appreciated.

Late breaking news from COP27, Sharm el-Sheikh:
Trawling the sea floor wrecks the marine environment and it takes approximately fifty years for the damage to be be made good. Member states are requested not to make roseate television series about the activity thereby encouraging the practice.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One got used to a certain amount of filler during Covid, one gets used to the BBC feeling it has to do something for minorities, but should an hour and a half of BBC-2 primetime really be given over to a group match in the Rugby League Wheelchair World Cup?

And why are England and Australia in the same group anyway? I thought they were pretty much the only countries that played any form of rugby league. But perhaps my ignorance shows the need for more coverage of this form of the game. Come to think of it, at my time of life, I might investigate taking it up myself. If the wheelchairs are motorised -- and if that is not a different sport entirely.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's a really odd coincidence. I'll do it by approximate timeline

5 30 pm Wrote up the last post. I don't think I was consciously aware of wheelchair rugby.
5.45 pm Thought about a post dealing with the difficulty of combining using your hands to violently manoeuvre a sports wheelchair with using your hands to receive and pass a rugby ball. I couldn't see how it was done.
6 00 pm Decided to watch (American) Football Talk Live instead. They were discussing tonight's Houston Texans vs Philadelphia Eagles and one of them remarked it was the first time since 19?? that a World Series game had coincided with a Thursday night NFL game between the same cities. They do like their stats in America.
6 15 pm One of them went into a violent rant about the Houston Astros cheating their way to their first World Series.
6. 20 pm Intrigued, I started watching some YouTubes about it. I recommend it, I really do. Only in America (maybe).
7. 00 pm OK already, I'd had enough. Then someone started talking about Spider Tack, an industrial strength glue invented by a weight lifter to get maximum purchase on various weird heavy objects. They do like their novelty feats of strength in America.
7. 01 You know me. Its connection with baseball cheating I just had to know.
7. 05 Apparently it gives pitchers endless opportunities to put more dip into their sliders by sticking their fingers into a blob of Spider Tack secreted inside their glove or about their person and thence onto the ball.
7. 07 Who mostly uses it now it's been outlawed by Major League Baseball? They said...
7. 08 People playing wheelchair rugby.
Grant

It’s fascinating how we understand the world by way of stories, rather than by logical analysis. The TV news shows us this every day.
Remember when the Ariana Grande terrorist attack happened six years ago.? The immediate narrative promoted by everyone was how wonderful the emergency services were. The brave policemen, the ambulance drivers, the security guards, all did a wonderful job.
Actually we learn now from the reliable media, they were all shit. All of them.
Of course, the journalists at the time somehow never noticed it.

But why did the narrative change?
Grant

I think we comforted ourselves at first by the thought that even though the incident was terrible, our reaction to it showed us the best side of human nature. This story lasted for a few years. Then the enquiry started revealing faults in the responses of the emergency services. A new narrative emerged.

Now we are told how inadequate virtually everyone was. All the news sources step into line in vilifying innocent people who were trying to help. Sure they weren’t perfect, but who would be in the circs?

I’m sure the lawyers earned a few sweeteners
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is down to Applied Epistemology Rule No 1
People believe what makes them happy, not what is true.

Or more colloquially, "The pursuit of happiness is inimical to the pursuit of wisdom." The media knows this but the state also knows it, hence the sequence:

1. A terrible event happens
2. The media reports this in all its gory details. Human beings like gory details. The media likes to provide what people want.
3. Organs of the state respond brilliantly according to the state. The state likes this, people like this, the media (therefore) reports this.
4. An enquiry is set up. Both state and people like to know 'it will never happen again'.
5. The truth comes out. People conducting enquiries like this.
6. They find that everyone acted as they normally do (and not how you, Grant, likes to believe they did).
7. The shortcomings revealed are addressed as far as is possible by the state.
8. Life goes on with modest improvements in place.
9. It really does.
10. It is essential that Applied Epistemologists do not fall into the trap of being unwise after the event just because it makes them happy to suppose everything is always going to hell in a handcart. [Called 'hairshirtism' in AE.]
Grant

Exactly what I was trying to say.

The rescuers were not as good as we thought six years ago, and they’re not as bad as they are being painted now.

Problem with these enquiries is that they will lead to new legislation like the new “Protect Duty” which will give venue owners more paperwork to complete. It’s being designed for venues holding over 100 people but the demand is already being made to include even smaller venues. Soon, we’ll be completing a form to be allowed to visit the local Indian restaurant.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

When it gets down to one, our own bathrooms.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Microsoft have taken to putting little pictures in my Type here to search box. They've just put up one of Tutankhamun's death mask. Spooky or what?

PS I hope it is spooky, the alternatives are far more worrying.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 109 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in