MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

What evidence is there, other than the History books, that there ever was an English Civil War?

For my part? I don't believe a word of it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I'll send you photocopies of the 14,336 pamphlets I have in my collection and you can make your own mind up.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

In terms of battlefield archaeology lead bullets of varying calibre, are I think the main archaeological evidence on civil war sites.
Ishmael

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
In terms of battlefield archaeology lead bullets of varying calibre, are I think the main archaeological evidence on civil war sites.

And where can I find these records?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'm not sure you've quite grasped how this works, Ishmael. You're supposed to bound in saying, "Oy, did you know there's no record of any blah de blahs" as opposed to "Oy, here's a crackpot theory, can someone please check out there aren't any blah de blahs." I do it with Hatty all the time but that's quite different.
Wile E. Coyote

And where can I find these records?

Here is the one I am going to use. I am still on Motte and Baileys.

http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resource-centre/civil-war/

Let me know if you find a imaginary battle. My recce left me somewhat disillusioned.

I am sure you will do better.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

How prescient Alan Clark's Diaries (BBC4) were tonight.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I discovered today that my hero, CNN's Andersen Cooper, is a Vanderbilt. This reinforces my conviction that virtue is vested in the aristocracy.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Code 37: Sex Crimes (Walter Presents to More 4) is breaking several rules. The second series is better than the first; the backstory is getting less rather than more; the heroine's love interest is increasingly perfunctory. But best of all is the treatment of sex. It may be the Belgians or it may be this unit in particular but it is all very humdrumly deviant. The sex workers for instance are actually just ordinary working girls. "Yeah, but it's better than Kosovo." Even the pimps seem more worried about EU paperwork than being horrible. It's all most refreshing. I expect Flemish Careers Officers are even now telling sixthformers about the pros and cons.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
I'm not sure you've quite grasped how this works, Ishmael. You're supposed to bound in saying, "Oy, did you know there's no record of any blah de blahs" as opposed to "Oy, here's a crackpot theory, can someone please check out there aren't any blah de blahs." I do it with Hatty all the time but that's quite different.

Thing is, I became convinced that the Civil War was all lies simply by reading the lies. They are obvious lies in the end. People only believe it because they can't imagine it might possibly be lies.

I started reading British History knowing that some of it was lies. I then set about the task of finding the point at which the lies ended and the truth began. I never found that point.

A few times I suspected that historians had switched over to true history. Elizabeth I. James I. William of Orange. Unfortunately, every time, the history descended once again into nonsense and duplication.

At some point someone will have to account for the archaeology, if indeed there really is much of anything to account for. I suspect there's little more than a few bits and bobs that archaeologists have desperately claimed for the historical record. I don't know. That's another project entirely. I'm just looking now at the written sources. And they are clearly not to be trusted.
Ishmael

Civil War Archaeological Evidence

A Few Musket Balls

That's it?
Wile E. Coyote

Yep bullets and balls.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What I don't understand is that Love Island gets wall-to-wall coverage in every media outlet, including three pages this week in the sacred Guardian Review, yet it never gets beyond ITV2. The five main terrestrial channels are meanwhile filling up with programmes of such stunning obscurity that nobody but the continuity announcer watches them. How can this be?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Inspector Montalbano (BBC4) gets quite compulsive whenever it raises its sights just a little. This is series ten and we have finally got onto the mafia and local government corruption as central players, as opposed to noises off. Though they are still off screen which is is in sharp contrast to the villains of other countries' cop shows who are always relishably visible. Probably because RAI Uno is secretly run by RAI You Know Who.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Beecham House (ITV-1)

Ever wondered why Indian (and many British black) actors are so bad? It is because they are speaking lines written for them by native English-speakers using quite different rhythms. The British actors in Beecham House are just as bad because they are speaking lines meant to convey the nineteenth century and the only way you can do that is write them with stiltedly pompous rhythms. However, we are so used to factoring this in when it comes to costume dramas we don't notice.

"We did not notice such a thing, sahib."
"Well try, fuckwits, I gave up after five minutes. That's me Sunday nights gone for the next twelve weeks plus the second series on account of it being a searing exposure of the truth behind the Raj and all the other telly progs for the last fifty years exposing the truth behind the Raj not having worked the oracle."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 50 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in