MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Before We Joined The EU

And Soon the Darkness (1971)
A British nurse seeks her lost bicycling partner in a part of France where any peasant could be a pervert.
starring Pamela Frankin, Michele Dotice, Sandor Eles
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've provisionally discovered a way to combat intrusive music. If you switch off the Surround Sound option on the Menu (which I assume turns everything from Stereo to Mono) the voice comes over loud and clear. I've got an extremely cheapo telly so no guarantees.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
The rubbish you watch.

All the stuff that Wile has reviewed has come in at the Golden Globes Bohemian Rhapsody, The Bodyguard, A Very British Scandal.

I just need Black Panther to get an Oscar, and my award as AE Critic of the Year is assured....
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Has anybody noticed that the girls have pretty much cornered the market in Royalty pics/mini series.

We have already had Elizabeth I, Elizabeth 11, Victoria, presently we have Mary Queen of Scots and Queen Anne ( I guess they have run out of the more famous ones)

To counter this your arts correspondent has submitted a script for Edward II. Spacey is likely to be unavailable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpziXD-SDk
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We are not likely to run out of queens now you have discovered there are are eleven Elizabeths. Cheap, I know, but just a reminder that presentation is as important as content.
Grant

To counter this your arts correspondent has submitted a script for Edward II. Spacey is likely to be unavailable.

Piers Gaveston -Kevin Spacey
Roger Mortimer - Brian Blessed
Isabella - Helen Mirren
Edward 2 - Rupert Everett

Why was this movie never made?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have been grotesquely unfair to the saints who provide us with the Talking Pictures channel.

The regulator Ofcom has warned the channel about the use of obsolete racial terms in its programming on a handful of occasions, including an episode of Granada Television's A Family at War, originally broadcast in the early 1970s, shown by Talking Pictures in the hour just before the 9pm watershed, and an uncensored interview with Joan Turner during her appearance on the talk show Tell Me Another. Cronin-Stanley told The Times in February 2018: "Ofcom say we need to advise people before they watch something that it may contain outdated racial stereotyping, but I would say that’s babysitting our audience". However, later in 2018, warning notices had started to appear just before such programmes began.

Ya gotta baby-sit the baby-sitters.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Crimson Rivers (E4)

The Nazis were in Belarus tops three years. Now I 'm no expert in dog breeding (two years, City & Guilds) but even I know you can't create a new breed of dog in three years. I shall give it another week to see if either the French or the German police (it's sub-Bridge) twig this.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Anachronism of the week

They showed a tube train on Vera. What line's that then? Stockton to Darlington?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Two exhausting hours later. I can accept one gay red herring, I will put up with two gay red herrings, but a third gay red herring is one fishee on the dishee too many. I have written to the Geordie Anti-Defamation League. They can work out which stereotypes they find offensive. They're the experts, talk about chips on shoulders.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Which reminds me. Me and Hatty are due to attend a family gathering (mine not hers) featuring a bloke that went to Bede Primary School and worships the hair on his tonsure. Mum's the word on this one, I think, Hatty.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Channel 4 The River More bleak drama from Scandinavia. This time we are on the border between Norway and Russia (Guardian)

We can now declare a new Euro-genre: the cross-border police procedural. The Americans have long had their FBI vs local fuzz tensions but our more sensible law and order arrangements have left us only with "If you don't solve this one quickly, the Yard'll have to get involved" type dramas. I'm not saying we should support a hard Brexit for this reason alone but it's worth bearing in mind.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

A couple of weeks ago Manhunt was on telly. It was a true case history of a serial killer in London with interludes showing the lead detective's marital problems. Even allowing for dramatisation, it was hard to believe a wife would be so obstructive, to the point of nearly destroying the marriage and the case. It didn't ring true and it turns out, from the book by the detective, the wife is as co-operative as you'd expect plus he goes with on a week's family holiday which in the TV drama he missed (no mention of the wife's brother's wedding).

According to the book the case was almost taken away from the lead detective by a female detective until his (male) superior intervened and something of the sort was going on in the TV version. A strong female character may be desirable but why do people making TV dramas think a domestic bust-up is necessary? It may be that a woman's point of view will appeal to female viewers but such an unlikeable character will hardly appeal to anyone, irrespective of whether it's true or not.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lucy Worsley used the word "nigger" (in its correct context) in American History's Biggest Fibs. My esteem for her has gone right up accordingly though the programmes themselves are unwatchable. Why people think cartoonish views of history culled from fifty years ago are 'fibs' (she couldn't bring herself to say "lies") mystifies me. But I suppose it is no worse than her colleagues constantly telling us the Dark Ages weren't dark.

Now if she really wanted to know some fibs about history...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Anachronism of the Week

"He works at Surexo Industries near Hartlepool." (Vera, ITV-1)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 41 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in