MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

An interesting development on West Wing was when they introduced the token right-winger (the blonde lady who is now rather unnecessarily intimate with handguns on CSI Miami). One could see, programme by programme, that the liberal scriptwriters, as they struggled to make her a fully rounded character, were learning that right-wingers are people too.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Even more interesting was how she slowly but inexorably disappeared from the show.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Never heard of The View but the point I was making was that as soon as technical considerations ("a rounded character") were at issue, it was no longer possible to present her, for instance, as a moron. She wouldn't be working at the White House if she were. At least not the White House of Jed Barflet. That required (perhaps for the first time) the liberal scriptwriters to try to imagine non-moronic right-wing arguments.

That is precisely what AE does. It is all AE does. Once you have a mechanism for thinking things your brain does not ordinarily allow you to think, creativity is a piece of piss.
Ishmael

Rocky wrote:
Whenever I hear her open her mouth I think, "God, she's a moron." That's why she's on the show. To reinforce the left-wingers' belief that right-wingers are morons.

She's smarter than anyone else on the View.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Once you have a mechanism for thinking things your brain does not ordinarily allow you to think....

...you write her out of the show.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Never heard of The View....

And you're all the better for it.

It's called "the View" because V is for VAGINA - get it? VAGINA!

god...sometimes women make me wish I was a homosexual.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's a case in point. Rocky and Ishmael are hearing the same words coming out of the same mouth in the same context, yet one constantly hears a moronic message and the other, just as constantly, words of (relative) wisdom. One of them must be wrong or of course both of them might be. But neither will allow this fact to delay their headstrong rush for even one second.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Here's a case in point. Rocky and Ishmael are hearing the same words coming out of the same mouth in the same context, yet one constantly hears a moronic message and the other, just as constantly, words of (relative) wisdom.

No no. I'm joking. Elizabeth is definitely no intellectual and, in terms of brain power, I'm certain Barbra Walters has the higher I.Q. But really.... Whoppi Goldberg?
Ishmael

Rocky wrote:
So then why didn't they pick an intelluctual right-winger?

Because they're not as pretty?

I agree though. There may be unconscious wish-fulfillment and careful-ignoral at work in the choice of Elizabeth. But I don't fetishize intellectualism. Elizabeth is about as smart as any human being needs to be.

By and large, those who do fetishize intellectualism become left-wingers; for being left-wing is part of the accoutrement of being an intellectual. You can't be right-wing if your ambition is to be an intellectual. A right-wing intellectual is like one of those rare zebras, born without stripes. It's hardly a zebra then, is it?
Ishmael

Rocky wrote:
But isn't this really only the case in the present-day US? There were lots of right-way intellectuals in Nazi Germany. There is nothing inherently anti-intellectual about being right-wing.

Nazis were left-wingers. Why do you think the communists hated them so much? They were competitors for the same tosh.
Ishmael

Rocky wrote:
Have you ever heard of Rob Anders

No.

...an MP from Calgary since 1997? He's right-wing.

Are there any left-wing MPs from Calgary?

...he sounded intellectual

Are there any intellectuals from Calgary?

...and was actually kind of convincing

"Right-wing" and "convincing" are redundant when used together.

I wonder if he will become Prime Minister...

I don't.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Channel 4 has decided we no longer deserve the best comedy prog on telly currently, The Daily Show, but BBC-2 has dried our eyes by bringing back for a second series Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0110grc/Stewart_Lees_Comedy_Vehicle_Series_2_Charity/
Grant

By and large, those who do fetishize intellectualism become left-wingers; for being left-wing is part of the accoutrement of being an intellectual.

That's the wisest thing you have ever said
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Mick Harper wrote:
Channel 4 has decided we no longer deserve the best comedy prog on telly currently, The Daily Show, but BBC-2 has dried our eyes by bringing back for a second series Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle.

Call that comedy?

I suggest you check out Paddy McGuinness... He's appearing at the Corn Exchange in Ramsbottom next February.

Let me Know it you want tickets.

(And bring some cocaine).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Funnily enough (sic) I was watching it tonight and thinking how Applied Epistemological it all was. Something to do with how he is the only person in the world capable of doing stuff like the bloke on the phone. For out-of-country members the second episode is here, called London
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0110grc/Stewart_Lees_Comedy_Vehicle_Series_2_Charity/
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in