MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Ishmael wrote:
Only real question is where Islam came from. Islam seems more "Jewish" than the Jews.

Islam is a complete mystery to me, but I'm certain the answer must lie in economics.

There are some conspiracy theories that state that the Catholic Church created Islam. The story goes that a Jesuit priest named Alberto Rivera converted to Protestantism then revealed how he was told the true story of Islam by his fellow Jesuits.

Rivera also alleged that Muhammad was manipulated by the Catholic Church to create Islam and destroy the Jews and other groups of Christians.

The story to probably nonsense, however the idea that Islam is a "soldiers" religion is something I find quite appealing.

People often forget that all east-west trade came through the Middle East right up until the Portuguese rounded Africa and reached the Indian Ocean. Coincidentally right around the same time as the Reformation got into full swing. Before that trade was almost completely monopolised through the Middle East and then into Europe via Venice. All the various taxes along the way meant that everything was massively over-priced - the Portuguese completely undercut the entire thing in one swoop.

I wonder if Islam was somehow used to control the Middle East and Mediterranean trade empire.

You also have the whole Spain/Portugal division of the Globe, and Spain is the focal point of where Jews are being forced to convert to Catholicism. I'm not too sure what my thoughts are, but there are a lot of overlaps. You also had Islam in this part of the world, and apparently Muslims, Christians and Jews all living side by side at various times. The Jewish who were forced to adopt Catholicism were called Marrano Jews. I wonder if Marrano and Moor are cognate with each other.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Here is a handy comparison between The Hebrew Mind and the Western Mind.

Thanks Wiley.

(Western) Linear time divided into neat segments. Each event is new..... V ....... (Hebrew) Cyclical or spiraling time. Similar events constantly reoccur.

I find the whole cyclical time idea quite scary. It doesn't sit well with me. History does seem very repetitive, but whenever the thought occurs to me that the world is cosmically inclined to repeat things it freaks me out a little bit.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The Jewish who were forced to adopt Catholicism were called Marrano Jews. I wonder if Marrano and Moor are cognate with each other.

In Spanish amarrar means 'to moor' (a boat)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This seems to me to be hugely significant. In English 'mooring' a boat seems a very odd word. Even if we accept that the word has a Latin origin (or as THOBR would say, the Latin has an English origin) it is still curious that we use 'Moor' (another odd word) for a Musselman (another curious collation). My first guess would be that it all stems from Morocco--a Megalithic centre we have not much explored.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

N R Scott wrote:

I find the whole cyclical time idea quite scary. It doesn't sit well with me. History does seem very repetitive, but whenever the thought occurs to me that the world is cosmically inclined to repeat things it freaks me out a little bit.

Relax, kick off those boots, I cant see your world view over the first 2000 years being challenged anytime soon.

Actually I find the cyclical or spiraling time gentle on the eye. Still.... lone wolf howl from the wilderness.
Wile E. Coyote

N R Scott wrote:

The relationship between Jews and taxation is always apparent as well. In the earliest stories Jews always seem to be the tax collector. Either collecting at temples, or doing it on behalf of a king or ruler. It's always said for example that the Normans brought over Jews to collect taxes for the king. You also hear these notions of Jews "belonging" to or being the "property" of the king. I think it's probably more likely that this simply means that they worked on behalf of the state, like a civil service, rather than that they were owned slave-like.

However, when you move further forward in time Jews become tax payer, with all these special Jewish taxes. Some of the laws even say things like Jews must be accompanied by bodyguards, as well as paying a tax, in order to operate in certain areas. I can only really make sense of this to think of it as a kind of tariff. For example, when the British Empire controlled India they controlled the trade themselves, but now the Indians are back in charge British people and businesses need to pay taxes to operate there.

The slaughter of innocents, virgin birth of christ calendar, is to do with a new starting point, a census, a nationalised mint and tax collection.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

N R Scott wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
Christianity began as an insurgency against the Jewish Priest class.

This is my opinion as well. Also, I think it was probably much more of a political/economic rebellion than people realise. I think some of the religious "Christian" aspects probably developed as a consequence of the political struggle.

The orthodox (Christian) view is that Christianity has Jewish roots and lumps Judaism and Christianity together under 'Judaeo-Christianity'. But Jews hate Christianity. They really do. Christianity, not Christians. Being non-religious I forget about this visceral dislike rooted (I think) in religious differences. In Britain the Jews live alongside but not together with the rest of the population. Loyal to queen and country, goes without saying, if not to the queen's church. And they live in harmony, mostly.

Seems to me that anti-Semitism arises from Jewish intolerance as much as, or more than, say, Christian militantism, which was primarily focused on its internal protestants and Islam. Anti-semitism is ineradicable and is to be neither condoned nor condemned but contained.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Anti-semitism is ineradicable and is to be neither condoned nor condemned but contained.

Possibly so from a societal point of view but from an AE perspective I would have thought 'condoned and condemned' is preferable.
Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote wrote:

The slaughter of innocents, virgin birth of christ calendar, is to do with a new starting point, a census, a nationalised mint and tax collection.

Suetonius wrote:
Julius Marathus informs us, that a few months before his birth, there happened at Rome a prodigy, by which was signified that Nature was in travail with a king for the Roman people; and that the senate, in alarm, came to the resolution that no child born that year should be brought up; but that those amongst them, whose wives were pregnant, to secure to themselves a chance of that dignity, took care that the decree of the senate should not be registered in the treasury.

Suetonius wrote:

I find in the theological books of Asclepiades the Mendesian,1 that Atia, upon attending at midnight a religious solemnity in honour of Apollo, when the rest of the matrons retired home, fell asleep on her couch in the temple, and that a serpent immediately crept to her, and soon after withdrew. She awaking upon it, purified herself, as usual after the embraces of her husband; and instantly there appeared upon her body a mark in the form of a serpent, which she never after could efface, and which obliged her, during the subsequent part of her life, to decline the use of the public baths. Augustus, it was added, was born in the tenth month after, and for that reason was thought to be the son of Apollo. The same Atia, before her delivery, dreamed that her bowels stretched to the stars, and expanded through the whole circuit of heaven and earth. His father Octavius, likewise, dreamt that a sun-beam issued from his wife's womb.

Slaughter of innocents....Virgin Birth......Serpent.....Solar calendar
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Is it me or is the re-organisation of Oxford City police with the Thames Valley constabulary the most interesting part of Endeavour (Son of Morse)?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Son of Morse was back on form. I guessed the one armed commissionaire would be seeking revenge for his brother's death fifty years before in Palestine but it wasn't explained how this was connected with the ex-cop stealing Akhenaten's scarab and the local Mr Big burning down the cinema. Nothing much to report re police re-organisation.

Bill Gates on Countryfile.
Wile E. Coyote

Well done Bill, he even forked out for Green Wellies to try and look authentic.

He is here to plug GM crops. Wiley gets this on the chess, we are watching the chess then switch to a interview of top exec of Monsanto....

https://www.newstarget.com/2016-03-01-monsanto-and-bill-gates-are-conspiring-to-take-the-worlds-food-supply-hostage.html

What a guy.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The best thing on telly at the moment is the two-hourly nightly dose of Anderson 360 on CNN. This is not just prime soap opera but politics tooth'n'claw. The reason this is all so much better than our pallid Newsnight/Sky News stuff is threefold

1. Access. Everybody blabs in Washington the same day, we have to wait for the diaries to be published.
2. Cast of Characters. Trump vs May ... Gerald Kushner vs Philip Hammond ... are you kidding?
3. Importance. The world trembles on the brink; Britain trembles on Brexit.

Plus they're all so much better at it generally. I cannot entirely discount CNN's liberal bias because I can't get any other US news channels but overall it seems reliable enough. And if it ain't, who cares, it's Entertainment 360.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Curiouser and Curiouser Dept

2000 hrs first showing of Series 5 episode 5 of Endeavour begins
2039 hrs Morse is told in 1968 to go to Museum station on the London Underground
1933 AD Museum Station closed by London Underground
2041 hrs Morse arrives at Museum Station (Holborn)
2042 hrs newspaper placard reads Arson at War Museum (Lambeth)
2043 hrs Morse comes out of Museum Station (South Kensington)
2200 hrs episode ends
2205 hrs Wiki entry for Museum Station reads

Museum Station was where Morse meets the mysterious Singleton in ‘Quartet’, series 5, episode 5 of ‘Endeavour’
Wile E. Coyote

And the award for dressing simply but stylishly, and saying a genuine heartfelt "thank you".... rather than displaying a tacky exhibitionism and making a tub thumping proclamation.... goes to.....(dramatic pause).....nobody.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 27 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in