MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Mrs Miniver (BBC R4)

We've all seen the film. We all enjoyed the film in a guilty sort of way. Such stiff upper-lippery under trying conditions. But who knew it was a book by Jan Struther written in 1939? Well, I didn't and how could it be since the film is all about Dunkirk which, I could have sworn, occurred in 1940. But anyway I started listening to it in fifteen-minute chunks.

My mouth was fully agape for the first quarter hour. I don't think I've ever heard a smugger, more nauseous rendering of pre-war English upper middle class life in all my born days. Only for the second one, which I'm listening to as I write, to reveal the whole thing is a comic spoof. I am sore confused.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Have you noticed that when you watch TV and you have to lie in an incredibly uncomfortable position because otherwise your bifocals will distort the picture but when you switch over to a radio programme you stay in the exact same position?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In Our Time (BBC R4)

Melvyn was on about the Hanseatic League this week. No, Wiley, not the Human League. The talking heads admitted that nobody had a clue where it sprang from or when. "The earliest historical records are from the twelfth century... etc." I immediately thought of the Megalithics but the only connections I could make were

1. It was centred on the salt-free Baltic
2. It had no centralised organisation or obvious muscle
3. Despite which it flourished indefinitely until the joint-stock era
4. The English Hanse HQ was at the Steelyard, All Hallows Street
5. But the English were seen more as rivals than members.

Anything else greatly welcomed.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A Cold War of Spies (PBS)

This is a surprisingly good four-part treatment of a usually hackneyed subject. The talking heads are new and worth a listen. Although 'victim culture' has clearly reached this normally traditional sector, viz "The Americans wanted to try out their new weapon on a live population to observe the effects."

There was one completely new bit of information. Dealing with Soviet 'sleepers' the programme claimed they would be given birth certificates in the name of infants who had died at the appropriate time (so far so Day of the Jackal) but "churches would be bribed to destroy the death notices". I'd like to have been a fly on the vestry wall when that conversation took place.

"Thirty years ago, you say? Well, yes, I suppose I could dig it up since you've been so generous with the roof appeal fund. What was the name of your organisation again?"
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
In Our Time (BBC R4)

Melvyn was on about the Hanseatic League this week. No, Wiley, not the Human League. The talking heads admitted that nobody had a clue where it sprang from or when. "The earliest historical records are from the twelfth century... etc." I immediately thought of the Megalithics but the only connections I could make were

1. It was centred on the salt-free Baltic
2. It had no centralised organisation or obvious muscle
3. Despite which it flourished indefinitely until the joint-stock era
4. The English Hanse HQ was at the Steelyard, All Hallows Street
5. But the English were seen more as rivals than members.

Anything else greatly welcomed.

I would hazard this is an imaginary golden peaceful Hanseatic history of a commercial defensive confederation of merchant ports and market towns, which follows the imaginary heroic early viking history of raids, trade, and exploration.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Wiley wrote:
I would hazard this is an imaginary golden peaceful Hanseatic history of a commercial defensive confederation of merchant ports and market towns, which follows the imaginary heroic early viking history of raids, trade, and exploration.

I'm not sure this comparison is over-apt. The historical records for the Hanseatic League are (I'm assuming, I've never looked) too fulsome to go very far wrong. It was, by all accounts, "a commercial defensive confederation" although according to Bragg's team of eggheads, more of merchants than merchant ports, of markets more than market towns. Apparently, so the savants said, even League is inappropriate and is not a term used other than by English-speakers. Just Hanse, the German word for guild.

They were, it is true, capable of robust violence to competitors but there is no suggestion they were latterday Vikings. Even imaginary Vikings. They seemed to have been the very reverse of heroic. More book-keepers than book-stealers.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Witness History (BBC R4)

They were recounting the seminal 1972 fashion season when American haute couture designers were invited to Paris for the first time. One of the movers and shakers, a Brooklyn schmutter merchant of the old school, was on hand to set the scene. He started well

"We introduced models of colour to the catwalk for the first time."
then blotted his copybook
"They were great girls."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

To Catch a Copper (Channel 4)

An odd series. Although the remit of the programme makers was clearly to produce a Oh-how-awful collage of police malpractices -- it is all the rage at the moment -- I couldn't help having constant reservations. Mainly it was all to do with the modern malaise that the police are no longer police but an arm of the social services. For which they are neither trained, selected or naturally suited. And it showed.

As it happens I have some personal experience of restraining loonies from my time as a head night porter in a teaching hospital and I can tell you it's not easy. It's especially not easy if you are expected to be psychiatric nurses rather than night porters or policemen. It is complete nonsense to talk about sensitive policing. You haven't got time for doing anything much more than hanging on like grim death.

What people don't appreciate it is that it is scary. We are all kinda experienced in dealing with unco-operative people, angry people, maybe even criminal people, but mad people are something else. They are immensely strong, they are immensely unpredictable and they are immensely cunning. From what I saw, I would have been more inclined to give the fuzz and fuzzesses medals rather than handing out condign punishments.

Though I'd give Bristol & Avon's Chief Constable the bullet straightaway. What an appalling West Country version of our own dear Cressida she was. I'm not in the least surprised that she gave the go-ahead to a project that showed her in her true lights. She loves herself to bits, that one. The absolute pits was when she gave a 'financial settlement' and a letter of apology to the woman with the baby on the bus.

I'd have given her six months in whatever passes for Holloway down there in yokel-land. I mean the woman on the bus though I wouldn't object if they shared a cell.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Colvill & Soames: Bad Apples (BBC Radio 4X)

These are rather good if workaday spy thrillers from the nineteen-nineties. The reason I'm bringing this one to your attention is because of a remarkably prescient piece of dialogue about corruption in high places. Our two intrepid investigators are on the trail of a bent Home Secretary and have reached the hallowed grounds of the Sussex county cricket club in Brighton (Hove actually) because their quarry was on Any Questions in Brighton Town Hall (Brighton, actually) the night before

Colvill (to barfly): Been following Sussex a long time?
Barfly: Oh yes. I've seen all the greats. Imran...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Reindeer Mafia (Walter Presents to Channel 4)

The first episode certainly bodes well. You have to get used to an ambience that puts Vera in the shade and also to lines like "Why did you have him killed?" "He was threatening to take over the herd" but other than that it is exactly the sort of organised crime drama we all know and love. We will finally discover what part of the reindeer cannoli comes from.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Did you see Howard Jacobson on Newsinght? Blimey, what's got into him. It was like Enoch Powell's River of Blood with extra foaming. Comic novelists aren't supposed to have a sense of proportion but nor should they be invited onto the Newsnight couch in these sensitive times. Taking of which I posted this up on Medium today
--------------------

Anti-Semitism is Alive and Kicking

The Guardian wrote:
The scale of the surge in antisemitism in the UK since Hamas’s attack on Israel on 7 October has been revealed, in data showing a 589% increase in the number of incidents compared with the same period in 2022. The Community Security Trust (CST), which monitors anti-Jewish abuse and attacks and provides security for UK Jewish communities, said the unprecedented increase was a “watershed moment for antisemitism in the UK”.

One might venture the opinion that the CST has a professional interest in emphasising these things but no doubt the figures are reliable enough. Channel 4 News, the Guardian’s partner in liberal crime, took up the story and interviewed a young man wearing a yarmulke walking along a main road in Manchester. He assured us the local Jewish population was so fearful they might decamp from Manchester altogether. He was absolutely popping.

Asked to give an example of the sort of anti-Semitism Manchester’s finest were having to put up with, he pointed to passing cars and said, “They lean out the window and shout, ‘Free Gaza!’ They wouldn’t do that if I weren’t a Jew, would they?” No, one would have to admit, they probably wouldn’t. But was he sure they were being anti-Semitic as opposed to being anti-Israel?

The Channel 4 newshound did not ask him but us non-Jews couldn't help thinking that freedom of speech is permitted in this country (no, really, we’ve got a Bill of Rights and everything) even from the backs of moving vehicles. [As long as it isn’t the driver, that would be an offence under the Road Traffic Act.] In fact, if he’d been wearing a Man Utd bobble hat over his yarmulke, it would be every Englishman’s duty to abuse him under common law.

Jews don’t have a free pass when it comes to the rough and tumble of British political life but in any case, on a scale of one to ten for anti-Semitic behaviour, I personally would put this at about nought point one.

It’s all highly ironic because Manchester was where Israel was born. The modern version anyway. Chaim Weizmann, of Manchester University, got the Balfour Doctrine signed virtually single-handedly and became the first President of Israel on the strength of it.

So not all Jews decamping from Manchester do it for anti-Semitic reasons.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Corrupt Cops: What the Police Knew (Dispatches, Channel 4)

A bit scissors and paste but that is in itself significant because all the cases featured were extremely old hat-- Kenneth Noye, the Sydenham carpark axe murder, Stephen Lawrence. This means either
(a) there's not much corruption in the Met or
(b) there's not much appetite for police corruption-hunting.

I really cannot say which it is. My own investigation of the Croydon Playboy murder notwithstanding.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Wolf like me (Peacock currently showing on Prime for free)

You settle down with your "significant other" for a Rom Com, or a is it a fantasy? It feels superior, well acted but clunky, yet you both are suddenly laughing out loud.

What is going on? She does a lot of running away, she is actually quicker than Danny chasing crims in Blue Bloods, he does a lot of hang dog.

Worth sticking with for the very dark humour.

One of a kind. Character piece. Jeckyll and Hyde.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Spot the Non-Deliberate Mistake

The protestors wanted the list of great thinkers to be extended beyond Dead White European Males like Plato and Aristotle to include Mexican writers and the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920's. Things Fell Apart BBC R4
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Just One Thing (BBC R4)

Dr Michael Mosley wrote:
I'm a 'lark', which means I like going to bed early and getting up early. I used to think this made me something of a social bore but recent research shows it has health benefits. So if you're like me rather than a natural night-time owl like my wife, Claire...

She is now.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 145 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in