MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Vera (ITV)

I just realised who Vera reminds me of. Me.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sandbaggers (London Live)

Head of Sandbaggers: Have you got a file on Sandbagger 2?
Head of Psychiatry, MI5: Of course, what do you need to know?
H of S: Does she have any hang-ups?
Hof P: Well, only sexual.
H of S: Rumour has it that she's a lesbian.
H of P: Definitely not. She's frightened of sex, that's all.
H of S: But would she, say, go out with a chap?
H of P: Sure but after that it'll take several months.

Is this what we pay our tax-dollars for? What I like about Sandbaggers is not just this kind of authenticity, not just the action being confined to offices but the fact that Britain actually counts for something in the world. Great days.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What I don't understand is that when Sandbag Leader 'holds Sandbagger 2 in reserve' (we know why, Scumbag leader) he has to send 'a rookie from Sandbagger School' for a two-man op (she's another woman, it's feminism gone mad) to Cyprus.

I mean, come on, a whole school to fill the ranks of three Sandbaggers (one got killed on the Russian border the week before last). Must be a very high drop out rate is all I can say. Though of course being a Sandbagger has a high drop out rate as well so possibly it's justified. I'm just saying, as a concerned taxpayer. This concerned me even more

"The PM wants hourly briefings on the Cyprus business. The last thing he wants is a civil war in the Eastern Med."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Chain Reaction (BBC R4)

This is quite a weird concept.
Week one: humorous personality A interviews humorous personality B.
Week two: humorous personality B interviews humorous personality C.
And so on ad infinitum. The continuity bloke said jocularly, "Well, this will need no introduction, it's the four hundred and fiftieth Chain Reaction."

I don't listen to the programme myself, I hate chat shows of any kind, but it did get me to thinking. Personality A is easy to recruit, they're all gagging for exposure on Radio 4. But obviously he'll want to know who Personality B is. You say, what about X. He says, fine. So you ring X and he's up for it like a shot. But he'll want to know who C is because he'll have to be interviewing him. So you say what about Y? And X says fine so you ring Y who's up for it like a shot except he'll want to know who D is. And so on ad infinitum.

We might accept that 'four hundred and fifty times' is an exaggeration but if any length of chain is to be unbroken the BBC will surely have to check on the availability and consent of all of them. And ad infinitum is an awfully long time even by BBC standards.

Or have I got something wrong?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

According to Dame Derbyshire on Newsnight there's an illegal migration minister doing the rounds. I say he (or she) should be tracked down and dealt with. It reminds me of the old IPO caper. Impersonating a Police Officer. That got you six months without the option.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Now even the police are at it. (Yes? No? Doofa?)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I accept there can be no glass ceiling when it comes to Sandbaggers. I accept, if there are only two Sandbaggers, you have to have one of each. But when Burnside starts getting soft on one of them (the female one) I begin to get queasy. And not just because his estranged wife is the daughter of the Permanent Under-Secretary of the Foreign Office and therefore Burnside's boss of bosses. This is exactly what happened with Burgess, Maclean and the Third Man.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

American Dynasties (PBS America)

Oh good, right up my street. I'll skip the first one though, I know all about the Kennedys. Oh, that seems to be it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Beginning in January 2025, Netflix will be the exclusive home of the WWE's flagship weekly wrestling program in the US, Canada, UK, and Latin America

Why am I telling you this, grappling fans? Because Netflix is shelling out five billion dollars for it. Five billion dollars. For one programme, once a week. That's more than what the world pays for the entirety of the Premier League. [Check that, Kent.] Puts us in our place. Puts football in its place.

Mind you, football is a contact sport. Mind you, football is a sport. Mind you (continue ad infinitum ad astra per aspera).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Justified Alibi Channel

Now don't get me wrong, this is straightforward hokum. You settle back for fun and games that wouldn't happen in a million years. But that doesn't mean the laws of the universe are going to be suspended. All genres have to be 'true' within their own parameters. So when Raylan's ex-wife succumbs to temptation and nicks some stolen money from an evidence locker because of the misdeeds of her present husband, that is acceptable. Hey, we've all done it.

When she goes into a bank but has a last minute change of heart, that's also acceptable. We knew she had it in her, we're rootin' for you, gal. But when, just as she is leaving the bank to return the cash to the hurt locker and is prevented from doing so by an armed gang entering the bank with the intention of robbing it, that isn't acceptable. What are the chances?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Vera (ITV)

I have watched many thousands of television dramas which involve people drinking tea (sometimes other hot drinks). Despite the plot requiring the cup having just been filled, and despite the camera angle requiring the liquid to be theoretically visible as people sip it, I have never yet caught sight of an actual beverage.

There must be some explanation for this other than 'there's no tea in the cup, you daft prat' because these are actors, there is no requirement for actual hot tea to be used, any cheap and cheerful brownish liquid will serve the purpose of retaining credibility and authenticity.

It is, I suppose, too late for Vera to investigate the mystery since this is the last in the current series and nobody in their right mind will be commissioning another one. I don't know how this one got the nod. It is highly appropriate therefore that DCI Stanhope's last case involved fish and chip suppers.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Why do news programmes persist in saying, after they have excoriated some government department or other, "We asked them for a comment but nobody was available"? You know, we know and they know this is not true. There were dozens of people from the Secretary of State to the under-assistant West Coast promo man available for a comment. My recommended formulation:

"We asked them for a comment but they refused. And with good reason because they didn't have a leg to stand on and should be kneecapped in the other leg."

Or words to that effect.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A tip for people who have to monitor several news programmes every day.

Whenever a retired general or an ex-ambassador comes on, fast forward.

For some reason TV news execs think it's some kind of signal achievement to have persuaded one of these exalted types to come onto their show. Ignoring the fact that these people are ten-a-penny rentaquotes with no knowledge of what's currently happening and always mouth official platitudes anyway. And do it in a boring-as-shit way.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
And do it in a boring-as-shit way.

I actually prefer this to folks that try and sex it up, or make it sensational. The truth is often boring, the presentation should reflect this. More please.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You are using 'interesting' in two different ways. Having the orthodox position set out can be done in a way that engages the viewer or not. Generals and diplomats are not trained to 'engage' a lay audience, they are trained to communicate in position paper-speak. Journalists, academics, think-tank personnel etc have to engage a lay audience as part of their day to day work.

When it comes to content, generals and diplomats never stray outside the boringly familiar. Journalists et al sometimes do.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 144 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in