MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

60 Days with the Gypsies (Channel 4)

The interest here is to predict what side 'the explorer' Ed Stafford comes down on. Presumably it will be broadly (maybe even effusively) pro-Gypsy with a few solemn asides about 'there is fault on both sides' . But the bit I'm looking forward to is when the gypsy elders get together and say, "We want a full picture of gypsy life to emerge so we'll let everybody and everything let rip when it comes to anti-social behaviour."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Coming Storm BBC Radio 4

It began with a dead body in a park in the early nineteen-nineties. Vince Foster, a friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton's, had shot himself. On the early internet, a conspiracy theory started to circulate, that the Clintons had him killed. They hadn't but as I dug deeper...

This sums up a lot that is wrong about the liberal meedja. Everything is going along smoothly, factually, when suddenly we are informed that Bill and Hillary hadn't had Foster killed. Now while it is unlikely many listeners to Radio 4 would think they had, why is a BBC journalist telling us, it's a fact, they hadn't? It is not a fact. But things have reached such a stage the BBC feels it has to deny that looney tune theories are untrue.

Surely, as a giant communication service, they must know that a denial always give credence to an accusation. And even more so when the denier is in no position to deny it. Come on, liberal meedja, do your job! Good series by Gabriel Gatehouse though.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have only managed the first part of the gypsy programme but a few interesting things have happened already. The first is that it is being filmed at the height of summer when the alfresco life is fairly roseate. Secondly, when asked where all the rubbish goes, a woman pointed off camera and said in a reassuring tone, "Oh we put it altogether over there." Our man Stafford didn't take us over there to have a look nor did he editorialise about what happens to it after they left (which they did within a few days, peaceably, after an official visit). I find this inexcusable on both parties' part.

Then we got the extraordinary news that 'gypsies never use the toilets in their own caravans'. I assumed Ed was having his leg pulled until we heard from a gentleman returning from a nearby MacDonald's commenting on the cleanliness of their lavatories.

The gypsies were very late-risers and Ed told us why. They had been up half the night carousing to very loud music. This came after shots of all the surrounding houses with people leaning out their windows on their mobiles to the police to 'get them out of there'.

Finally our ace reporter accompanied one gypsy to work. He was 'a landscape gardener, mostly relying on cold calls.' He didn't get any work but Ed was hugely worried about how the geezer heavied an old lady into having some work done. And that was in a couple of hours and with a camera crew accompanying him! When asked why he hadn't got any work he explained that some gypsies did a poor job and they all got tarred with the same brush.

I'm not sure my prejudices can stand another half hour of this.
Grant

My wife used to work for a charity which owned a few acres of land. Every year the gypsies would turn up illegally and live there for a few weeks. They would shit on the land and wander round shooting rabbits. When they left it cost the charity thousands to clear the waste left behind presumably as a result of one of the gypsies’ favourite rackets - waste disposal. There were also piles of dead rabbits.

And how did they get them out? You pay a few grand to the council-approved Traveller Liaison Officer who is a gypsy himself. He probably keeps some commission.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Burnt Orange Heresy (Netflix)

I am only ten minutes in but two things of note. First, Mick Jagger and Donald Sutherland are in it, both of whom I was compared to in my extreme youth. That only just occurred to me because the reason I am posting this is because of a scene featuring a couple driving along a winding road along a lakeside in a mountainous part of (I think) Ireland. The driver keeps turning to the passenger, engaging in lengthy bouts of dialogue with her before (it appears) suddenly remembering to look to his front. Meanwhile I am screaming at him to look where he is going. I'm finding the scene unwatchable.

Of course he would be intent on looking to his front in this particular situation but in my normal (but rare) excursions being driven in a car (I don't drive myself) I am always in this position even though it would normally be on a motorway. As you might have guessed I am one of the world's most exhilarating conversationalists but also one of the world's most nervous passengers. Not for myself, you understand, I am quite fearless, but on behalf of the world. They wouldn't want to lose me. This results in the following bouts of dialogue:

Mick: Would you mind not turning towards me when you're talking.
Driver: You're quite right, bad habit.
Mick: Would you mind not turning towards me when you're talking.
Driver: Sorry, keep forgetting.
Mick: If you do it once more, I will not speak for the rest of the journey.
But as I say, my journeys in other people's cars are quite rare.

PS None of this applies to Hatty. She's always too busy bitching about having to wear a peaked cap.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Re: the second half of the Gypsy programme. It has been pulled from the schedules at short notice. That's interesting though even more interesting is I can't find anything as to why. It may have something to do with this (from the Daily Express)

Channel 4 viewers ‘disgusted’ as 60 Days with the Gypsies shows kids killing animals
Channel 4 viewers were left furious while tuned in to new documentary 60 Days with the Gypsies after it aired scenes of children killing animals.

but that wouldn't normally stop Channel 4. More likely a quick re-run.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Vicky McClure seems to be channeling her inner James Stewart, ie always plays exactly the same part, the vulnerable righteous dependable stalwart, ("alright mate") who somehow overcomes incredible odds.

Keep it up Vicky, now all your need to do is disable all those bombs and replace them with smart metres.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I never know whether your misspellings are deliberate. Do you mean she made the hard yards when getting away? Or whether your puns are deliberate. If so, James Stalwart is awfully good.

However, since you mention Ms McClure, her image gazed back at me from the front cover of the Guardian mag for some days whenever I was ... er... in the bathroom and I couldn't work out who she was. All I knew was I didn't like the look of her one little bit. When I belatedly discovered who she was I really liked the look of her. Context is everything.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Further to my comments that only Al-Jazeerra was worth watching for Ukraine coverage, patrons should check out France 24 (channel 624 on Virgin). It's in English but I know many of you are fluent in the language.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

If you take a true story, add a good helping of homage to Ealing Comedy, mix a knowing splash of Social Realim colouring, and then spice with a small pinch of political correctness you get "The Duke."

It's a comfort watch. Seven out of Ten. Good performances all round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempton_Bunton
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Ipcress File (ITV)

In my youth (and all my life in so far as these things can be judged) The Iprcess File was both my favourite book and my favourite film. It's pretty weird being both but there you are. You can imagine therefore how much I was dreading this. But it was OK.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Refer your family and friends to Virgin Media and we’ll treat you both to up to £50 [crossed out]£80 if they sign up.

We've all got our price but the judgement when 'up to £50' is a no but 'up to £80' is a yes is a particularly fine one. I am not going ahead though. I resent the implication that I've only got one friend. You can keep my family.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Ukraine All Channels

It started off very well but is sagging as the plotlines become both more predictable and less believable. The basic error was to go for such a stark black hat/white hat approach. It has allowed for no character development. The Zelensky character showed some promise as he started to forget his junior status and struck some aggressive attitudes towards the principals but there seems to have been some sort of script conference and he has now returned to his role as plucky loser. Even so, may have to be written out of the series later.

'Putin' was excellent value but seems to have vanished from proceedings. Possibly contractual difficulties, always a problem when using a big star in a soap. Ditto Macron who seems to have regretted getting involved at all. Biden was definitely a mistake. Should have stayed retired in my opinion.

The 'refugees' have been very poor. One can see more animation at your local foodbank. Of course it was a mistake setting it in winter, who needs huddled masses? Some good footage of old ladies crossing rivers on planks of wood but everyone seems to get across safely. In fact the casualties (always off camera) are absurdly low for what is purported to be a full-on modern war. More later.
Grant

I always laugh when I see the people climbing over the blown-up bridge (I’m a sociopath). I find it amusing that the commentator never mentions who blew it up. Presumably it wasn’t those pesky Russians who would have rather kept it intact.

Amazing how the hive mind is coalescing around a set of received opinions - brave Zelezny, mad Putin, democratic Ukraine etc - without any attempt to try to understand why the Russians attacked. I’m not saying Putin was right but surely people should try to understand what’s happening rather than just absorb their opinions direct from Tom Bradby.

I even had to sleep in the spare bed on Monday because I was too pro Russia!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Nice one. I used to tell her I had a headache.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 95 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in