MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The Golden Globes has been cancelled, because nobody was going to watch. Sorry that should read "because they are implementing transformational change." They need a bit more time to work out who is going to give out the globes and to whom, without appearing racist. This will hopefully avoid previous winners giving their awards back. Still, this is a tricky one as the run-in for a major US movie is about 2.5 years.

Wiley confidently predicts that the next winner of a globe will be a foreign language film. Get your bets on early.
Wile E. Coyote

Wiley can't help thinking that in earlier times performers would have kept on going during a pandemic to try and keep the nation's spirits up, much in the same way they continued to make films and entertained the troops during the war. "The show must go on." That was it. Since when did stars become bed-wetters?
Wile E. Coyote

There seems to be a tad more concern that a BBC journalist manipulated Earl Spencer to secure a interview with Princess Diana than when a BBC journalist tried to manipulate Lucy Brown to run a Tommy Robinson expose. Could it be that "journalistic fair play" does not extend to all?

Why they feel the need to do this when Lady Diana wanted to do a piece and, when there was plenty of juicy material, they could simply Google about Tommy/ Stephen is an interesting point. They could have simply secured the story by normal journalistic approaches, such as approaching and researching. Lady Diana would have accepted Martin's offer whilst Tommy would have done what Tommy does.

Do journalists believe they have to take risks and break the law a la Bernstein and Woodward for a piece to be considered worthy?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The Pursuit of Love (BBC1)

I read this as a young swain (or it may be because of an Evelyn Waugh connection a little later) and greatly enjoyed it as, I think I remember, a serious if frothily comic novel. I am sure I would have remembered if the author had used such an appalling plot device as missing one's London train at the Gare de Nord, sitting on one's suitcase in tears and one being rescued by a passing rich French duke, the 'most wicked man in Europe'.

But my brother once had a suitcase nicked at the Gare du Nord so you never know.
Grant

Even more extraordinary is that Emily Mortimer, daughter of John and Penelope, didn’t realise that if you keep interrupting the drama with a spoken narrative explaining things, it ruins the story. As every writing teacher says “Show, don’t tell.”
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I keep being offered Penelope Mortimer's The Pumpkin Eater on Talking Pictures TV, I keep checking it out, I keep giving up as soon as Richard Attenborough comes onscreen as the psychiatrist because I can't get him as Christie in Ten Rillington Place out of my mind. I can't watch Ten Rillington Place because he always seems to be the Cockney lad who Noel Coward gives compassionate leave to because his mum has been bombed out and is looking for somewhere to stay temporarily in Notting Hill where that nice Mr Christie has... (now watch on)
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Just looked up pumpkin eater to get the low-down and found it means 'cheater' in urban slang.

They don't say which comes from which but I came across a rather grim nursery rhyme, Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater, first published in 1797, in which Peter apparently murdered Wife No. 1 though he may not have been unfaithful to her

Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater,
Had a wife but couldn’t keep her;
He put her in a pumpkin shell
And there he kept her very well.

Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater,
Had another and didn’t love her;
Peter learned to read and spell,
And then he loved her very well.
Wile E. Coyote

It's a nursery rhyme just about eating, preserving and cooking pumpkins. You sing a long as you do it.

Helps if you can read the recipe.

Presumably the Cockney Rhyming slang "cheater" came later, and then somebody had the bright idea of combining the slang with a grim interpretation, urban legend.

Nursery rhyme.....Cockney Rhyming Slang.......Urban Legend.....it will soon become a dateable nugget of history.

How could you Hats?
Wile E. Coyote

An even more outrageous interpretation of Peter, Peter, pumpkin-eater’s meaning is that it’s about the 13th century English King John, who famously bricked a rebellious noble's wife into a wall to starve to death.

There you go.
Wile E. Coyote

This constant inventing, combining all sort of clever nonsense to bolster up a failing chronology has to stop.

Quite soon graduates will believe that the Battle of Hastings actually occurred.

Then where will we be?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I blame Hatty for most of it. She's got form, she ruined several of my books and a couple of DVD's. Possibly this new one too. I'll know when the sales figures start coming in.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

That's all very well, but the burning question is :-
Why did we get Nul Points (again)?

Was it just a crap song (again)?
(or)
Why do we keep entering crap songs?
(or)
Do all the other countries still hate us that much?

Graham Norton will be phoning you for your AEL-adjusted scores shortly.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is indeed an important AE matter. Well done, Borry. Ask Mr Norton to introduce himself, nobody here has heard of him but your recommendation is recommendation enough. First some facts: the worldwide popular song industry is ranked nationally as follows:
1. USA
2. UK
3. That's it. If any other country features, people can't stop talking about it.

Now go figure.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
Ask Mr Norton to introduce himself, nobody here has heard of him but your recommendation is recommendation enough.

If he calls by again, I'll get him to give you a call.

For AEL folk who've never heard of him either, he first came to fame in "Father Ted" by playing a very irritating character, a Father Noel Furlong.

Some say he's been type-cast and still continues to play a very irritating character in all his appearances on TV and radio.

We should, however, make a nod of appreciation to Father Ted for his epistemological masterpiece on the perception of scale and distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
This is indeed an important AE matter. Well done, Borry. Ask Mr Norton to introduce himself, nobody here has heard of him but your recommendation is recommendation enough. First some facts: the worldwide popular song industry is ranked nationally as follows:
1. USA
2. UK
3. That's it. If any other country features, people can't stop talking about it.

Now go figure.

It really requires a popular, entertaining song and performance with lots of hooks. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, but sung by Minogue would do the job.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Jump to:  
Page 84 of 148

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in