MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
St Paul the conman (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Is Castor...St Christopher?

Wile is already at the bottom of the canyon, looking at the stars, having taken the long drop on that one.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Go on....

Sorry, I don't really have too much to add to that one.

I was looking at the story of Jonah and the Whale for parallels.

A huge storm arises and the sailors, realizing that it is no ordinary storm, cast lots and discover that Jonah is to blame. Jonah admits this and states that if he is thrown overboard, the storm will cease. The sailors try to dump as much cargo as possible before giving up, but feel forced to throw him overboard, at which point the sea calms.

I was thinking that maybe "whale" equalled boat, and that; Argo = Ark = Orca.

Orcus was a god of the underworld, punisher of broken oaths in Italic and Roman mythology

..but I just ended up confused.

Others have pointed out parallels between Jonah and the Whale and Jason and the Argonauts though.

Joseph Campbell ...noted several similarities between the story of Jonah and that of Jason in Greek mythology. The Greek rendering of the name Jonah was Jonas, which differs from Jason only in the order of sounds

Gildas Hamel, drawing on the Book of Jonah and Greco-Roman sources ...identifies a number of shared motifs, including the names of the heroes, the presence of a dove, the idea of "fleeing" like the wind and causing a storm, the attitude of the sailors, the presence of a sea-monster or dragon threatening the hero or swallowing him, and the form and the word used for the "gourd" (kikayon).
Ishmael

In: Toronto

N R Scott wrote:
St Christopher means Christ-bearer, but I'm sure it also just translates as crosser. As he's always depicted carrying Christ across a river.

So Christopher Columbus is the one who Criss-Crossed to Columbia!
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Paul and Pollonius overlappings are amazing, Wiley. Ishmael, are they correct?

Hey. I just got here myself.

But the facts are all correct from what I remember from Bible Study.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
According to The Megalithic Empire, Castor and Pollux are represented among the Twelve Disciples.

As we worked out years ago, James and John are the disciples most explicitly linked with Castor and Pulox. If you search those names through our database many astounding facts will be found---many uncovered (and forgotten) by me.

Jesus called James and John the "Sons of Thunder." Zeus of course is the god of thunder. Their father's name is Zebedee which is a sound-alike of Zeus-Patter.

There's a lot more. Someone should go back and have a look.
Ishmael

RE: Jonah;

Don't forget that Christ compares his own anticipated death and resurrection to the sacrifice of Jonah.
Wile E. Coyote

N R Scott wrote:
Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Go on....

Sorry, I don't really have too much to add to that one.

I wish I could always travel this far.....when I had nothing to add.
Wile E. Coyote

I was trying to google some of the musings of Scottie and Ish.

And came across this.

"The legends [of the Argonauts] resemble the accounts of wars and campaigns of both Joshua and Alexander the Great to a great extent. The myth of the Argonauts might be yet another duplicate of medieval chronicles describing the wars of the [12th to 14th] centuries"

Source: Anatoly T. Fomenko, History: Fiction or Science? vol. 2 (Paris: Delamere, 2005), 342.
Ishmael

I highly encourage you to pore through the material referenced at the links below.

Zebedee

Paul and Cephas

Note that Castor and Pollux requested of Zeus that they have a special place in heaven, just as James and John ask of Jesus.

Note how Dan Crisp links "Elijah = Eliza = Elizabeth?" This is a link I myself have been toying with.

If Eliza Barton = (Ankh) Esen-paaten = El Iza-beth, and given that Eliza Barton was a prophetess, is it possible that Elijah is actually Eliza? That the author is a woman?

I need to go back and read Elijah.

BTW...if you read those sources to which I link above I suggest that the name Elizabeth means "My God is Zeus Pater (Jupiter / Zeus the Father)". This is even more obvious with the name "Esen-paaten". Place a cross in front (in the way we indicate X-Mass) and perhaps its "Christianizes" the whole thing.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Aliyah is the act of 'going up'. Wasn't Elijah associated with going up to a mountain-top?

Elise/Alise/ Elize has been explored over on the megalithic site in connection with prehistoric long-distance trackways though the discussion petered out. I meant to look at more alise references including the Lizard, Britain's most southerly peninsula, to see how or if they're linked but in any case I don't see a connection between Elijah and Eliza/Elizabeth.
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
...I don't see a connection between Elijah and Eliza/Elizabeth.

Aside from the obvious connection that Elijah and Elizabeth (Barton) were both prophets.

Elijah is the prophet with whom Jesus was most often compared or mistaken for. Elijah is also the prophet who book contains the "suffering servant" passage with is a direct parallel of the life of Christ. It is a passion/gospel story in miniature.

Is Elijah the first Christian? Is he/she a actually a post-Christian-era writer?
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
Aliyah is the act of 'going up'. Wasn't Elijah associated with going up to a mountain-top?

As I mention in the referenced material, Elijah ascended into heaven (in a fiery chariot) without dying.

I also mention in the referenced material that this may be an allusion to martyrdom. Many faiths hold that the souls of the dead dwell in a holding area until judgment day but that those who die as martyrs ascend directly and immediately to heaven.

Elizabeth Barton died a martyr to the true faith, murdered by heretics (according to received, Catholic history).
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Ishmael wrote:
Elizabeth means "My God is Zeus Pater (Jupiter / Zeus the Father)".

I don't know if I'm going over old ground here, but there's a Tudor play called The Play of the Weather. It's about the god Jupiter, but Jupiter is supposed to be an allegory for Henry VIII in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Play_of_the_Weather

The Wikipedia page also mentions that the play may contain allusions to Herod the Great as well. Maybe Herod is another Henry double. He had five wives (or possibly ten). He had the second executed for adultery and divorced the third. Wife number five was Cleopatra - although they're not really sure if it was that Cleopatra or not.

John the Baptist famously condemned Herod's son, Herod Antipas, for marrying Herodias - his brother's wife (also a Herod).
Ishmael

I saw on the final Wolf Hall episode that Henry VIII supposedly pens a play about Anne Boleyn in which his wife is depicted whoring it up with hundreds of men.

I was trying to find online some reference to this play. Is it a little-known historical detail? If so, does it not seem unlikely that the King would be idling away his time writing such a play?

I am reminded by it though of the allegations against Messalina, wife of the first King of England, the Emperor Claudius. Really though; there are so many Henry Octavians that my detractors will accuse me of appropriating all of history to fill the biography of a single man.
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:

Elise/Alise/ Elize has been explored over on the megalithic site in connection with prehistoric long-distance trackways though the discussion petered out. I meant to look at more alise references including the Lizard, Britain's most southerly peninsula, to see how or if they're linked .....

My first thought was that the place names Castor, Chester, Caer etc might be liked to the star(s) Dorchester ...Poole harbour?? But I haven't had a chance to take a good look.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 8

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in