MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
St Paul the conman (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Coyote. All is forgiven. This is fascinating.

Though possibly.... coincidence. Give me a smoking gun!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I have to agree but only if any sort of gun is found. Or bow and arrow even.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Lets refresh ourself with the Article II of the Rules of Oleron.

http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/documents/oleron.html

If a ship or other vessel be in a port, waiting for weather, and a wind to depart, the master ought when that comes, before his departure to consult his company, and say to them, Gentlemen, What think you of this wind? If any of them see that it is not settled, and advise him to stay until it is, and others, on the contrary, would have him make use of it as fair, he ought to follow the advice of the major part. If he does otherwise, and the vessel happens to miscarry, he shall be obliged to make good the same, according to the value upon a just appraisement.

Look a bit familiar?

11 Nevertheless, the Centurion believed the master and the owner of the ship, more than those things which were spoken by Paul.

12 And because the haven was not commodious to winter in, the more part advised to depart thence also, if by any means they might attain Phenice, and there to winter; which is an haven of Crete, and lieth towards the south west and north west.

Ishmael

In: Toronto

Absolutely fascinating!

What I'm thinking is that this Julius Paulus, the Lawyer, is none other than the Apostle Paul. He was a famous lawyer and also a Gnostic evangelist.

The writer of acts was aware of this and alluded to it in his tale.

Is this your thinking as well?

Either way, you have stumbled upon something of potentially great import in which a great many people will be very interested! Well done!!
Wile E. Coyote

Let us take a closer look.

he ought to follow the advice of the major part.

the more part advised to depart thence also

It is another part of our unwritten/written shipping code ....in poor weather to protect cargo and crew, the captain must, take into account the majority view of his crew, before setting off......
Wile E. Coyote

On finding the "principle of the many" within the Articles of the Rules of Oleron, we could of course have presumed that it might appear in the earlier Code (Hatties word) formulaed in Rhodes....(Boro calls this Reverse Engineering)...St Paul adds confirmation that it was in the Lex Rhodia...

But can we peer further back?

Let us take a glance at that ancient nautical tale, from Rhodes the Argonautica..

The Argonautica was composed/written according to orthodoxy by
Apollonius of Rhodes.

Run that by me again Wiki.....oh no A(pollonius), it's another Paul...Paulus......

What do we know about him?

The most reliable information we have about ancient poets is largely drawn from their own works. Unfortunately, Apollonius of Rhodes reveals nothing about himself.[4] Most of the biographical material comes from four sources: two are texts entitled Life of Apollonius found in the scholia on his work (Vitae A and B); a third is an entry in the 10th-century encyclopaedia the Suda; and fourthly a 2nd-century BCE papyrus, P.Oxy. 1241, which provides names of several heads of the Library of Alexandria. Other scraps can be gleaned from miscellaneous texts. The reports from all the above sources however are scanty and often self-contradictory.
Wile E. Coyote

wiki wrote:

The reports from all the above sources however are scanty and often self-contradictory.

Hmm not much to go on... but we know he must have existed.. as he is number 2, on a list of "real" historical people that you can wiki......

wikilist wrote:
Historical people
Apollonius Cronus (fl. 4th century BC), philosopher of the Megarian school
Apollonius of Rhodes (born c. 270 BC), librarian and poet
Apollonius of Aphrodisias (fl. c. 3rd century BC), historian of Caria (FGrHist no. 740)
Apollonius of Perga (262-190 BC), geometer and astronomer
Apollonius of Tralles (fl. 2nd century BC), sculptor
Apollonius paradoxographus (fl. 2nd century BC), paradoxographer
Apollonius (physician), several physicians in Ancient Greece and Rome
Apollonius the Effeminate (fl. 120 BC) a Greek rhetorician of Alabanda in Caria
Apollonius Molon (fl. 70 BC), rhetorician
Apollonius of Tyre (philosopher) (fl. 60 BC), Stoic philosopher
Apollonius of Athens (fl. 1st century BC), sculptor
Apollonius of Citium (fl. 1st century BC), physician
Apollonius the Sophist of Alexandria, a famous grammarian who probably lived towards the end of the 1st century AD
Apollonius of Tyana (c. 40 - c. 100 AD), Pythagorean philosopher
Apollonius of Alexandria (fl. 1st century AD), (Apollos) (Ἀπολλώς), Jewish Christian mentioned several times in the New Testament
Apollonius Dyscolus (fl. 2nd century AD), grammarian
Apollonius the Apologist (died c. 186 AD), religious leader
Apollonius of Ephesus (fl. 180-210 AD), religious leader and writer
Apollonius (praetorian prefect) (442-443), Roman Praetorian prefect
Apollonius (magister militum) (fl. 443-451), Eastern Roman general
Apollonius (consul 460), consul in 460

For those who love coincidences, like Wile, the Argonautica (think of the Argo or "bright one" as a sea/star chariot...), written by Apollonius of Rhodes, starts off with an invocation to Apollo.....but that might be to stray off topic.
Wile E. Coyote

If you dont like long lists, or established chronology (Ish?). You can have a bit of fun knocking off a few duplicates.....
Wile E. Coyote

Wile is instead, focussing at this stage on number 14 (This is a bit like trying to understand Orphan Black !!)

Apollonius of Tyana..............

Born in Tarsus

Had a disciple named Damis from Asia Minor

Had an associate named Titus

Associated with a Demetrius

Associated with a Stephanus

Influenced by Plato

Spent much time at Antioch

Wrote epistles instructing followers in spirituality

Fought wild beasts at Ephesus

Founded a religious community at Corinth

Condemned by Roman emperor

And of course was shipwrecked.....

It's almost a carbon copy of St Paul.....but not quite...

http://www.truthbeknown.com/apollonius.html

There are a few differences not least that Apollonius appeared to a detractor after he is resurrected as a beam of brilliant bright light.

Bright light eh?
Wile E. Coyote

Wile is on his back, after plunging headfirst into the canyon, he looks up the stars.

He can make out the outline of a huge ship, above the ship are two stars Castor and Pollux, guiding the way.

In one of the earliest myths about the twins, Castor and Pollux rescue their sister Helen, (yes that Helen/Eleanor)

The twins also accompany Jason on the Argo ("brilliant light") in search of the Golden Fleece.

On their famous voyage a storm arose, and the ship was in danger, only being saved when the Argonaut Orpheus prayed to the gods and played his harp. After the storm ended, stars appeared on the heads of the twins, so they can be picked out in the sky.......

It is because of this myth that Castor and Pollux came to be recognized as the patron saints of sailors...........
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
think of the Argo or "bright one" as a sea/star chariot...

Does Argo = Ark

I've been thinking about this ever since Ishmael's Joan of Arc/Joan of Ankh/Cross post.

In plain English arc means curve or crescent, so how can it also mean cross? I think they both must symbolise a crossing.

A crescent symbolises an eclipse, the moon crossing the sun ..and the sign of the cross likewise. Hence the early Christian leaders with their visions of crosses in the sky.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

"bright one" as a sea/star chariot...

I think this also applies to the word Christ as well. Christ means "bright one", but it also probably translates simply as cross on some level too.

Crossed and Christ are essentially the same word if you accept that the vowels are interchangeable. The term crisscross comes to mind.

St Christopher means Christ-bearer, but I'm sure it also just translates as crosser. As he's always depicted carrying Christ across a river.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

According to The Megalithic Empire, Castor and Pollux are represented among the Twelve Disciples. I can never follow these things (I just write it down) but I think they were the Zebedees. However when I googled this popped out

James and Judas the sons of Alpheus, the twin fishermen living near Kheresa, were the ninth and tenth apostles and were chosen by James and John Zebedee.

PS Alpheus is a Greek river god though I don't know what that's got to do with anything.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

PPS But Thomas was known as 'the twin' so it might be him. And then there's Jesus and his brother James (is that The Just or another one?). Plus there's Simon and Peter. So they might all be Castors and Polluxes or duplicates or ... well, I'll leave it to youse guys.

Paul and Pollonius overlappings are amazing, Wiley. Ishmael, are they correct?
Wile E. Coyote

N R Scott wrote:
"bright one" as a sea/star chariot...

I think this also applies to the word Christ as well. Christ means "bright one", but it also probably translates simply as cross on some level too.

Crossed and Christ are essentially the same word if you accept that the vowels are interchangeable. The term crisscross comes to mind.

St Christopher means Christ-bearer, but I'm sure it also just translates as crosser. As he's always depicted carrying Christ across a river.

Go on....
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 8

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in