MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alphabet Soup (Linguistics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I followed this entirely but I did not comment because objections are forbidden by AEL rules when in the presence of a new theory.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I completely understand why you would instinctively resist this, as it goes against a number of ideas for which you have argued. Originators of new theories (such as yourself) ought always to be excepted from the demand to adopt a contradictory point of view, regardless of its merit.

On the other hand, were I to convert you, that would be truly meaningful.

For myself; I am convinced. Even if there are objections that I cannot see to address. The story I've told is the right one. And I have many other reasons for this conclusion. Some I will mention shortly.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I don't know if this is a first.

It just occurred to me that the genius of Roman Numerals is that of the seven letters I,V,X ......C,D,L,M....

The first three are easy hand, finger arm signals..... (nothing new there)

The last 4 are distinct Consonant sounds.........

Its genius is for paperless trade, a ideal combination of hand and verbal clarity.

Try it at home......Try it when you go shopping, it is much more effective than Contactless, you get to haggle.

Seven is indeed the perfect number Vii
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This could be startlingly good. You might give us some other ancient numbering systems so we can estimate the size of the ball park.
Wile E. Coyote

Carnival

carnival (n.)
1540s, "time of merrymaking before Lent," from French carnaval, from Italian carnevale "Shrove Tuesday," from older Italian forms such as Milanese *carnelevale, Old Pisan carnelevare "to remove meat," literally "raising flesh," from Latin caro "flesh" (originally "a piece of flesh," from PIE root *sker- (1) "to cut") + levare "lighten, raise, remove" (from PIE root *legwh- "not heavy, having little weight").

Folk etymology is from Medieval Latin carne vale " 'flesh, farewell!' " From 1590s in figurative sense "feasting or revelry in general." Meaning "a circus or amusement fair" is attested by 1926 in American English.

I like On-Line but this seems wrong. There is an alternative..

Car= Circle Chariot Car word

Naval= Pertaining to boat.

A Carnival has floats....they are decorated boats. A number of floats=a Fleet

The period of lent (spring season) is a period of giving up of luxuries and fasting. Why? The Spring season marks the start of the sailing season. The Crew have to be prepared to make sacrifices. It's a reworking of the festival of Isis.

Crew Isis =Crisis Christ........

The Cross is the mast of the boat.

Palm Sunday is when the sailors spot land.

The crew are then resurrected.
Wile E. Coyote

Maybe Halloween is the end of the Sailing season? Inventio Osiridis?
Wile E. Coyote

The phrase Tre, Pol and Pen is used to describe people from or places in Cornwall, UK. The full rhyming couplet runs: By Tre Pol and Pen / Shall ye know all Cornishmen,[1][2] a version of which was recorded by Richard Carew in his Survey of Cornwall, published in 1602.[3] Many Cornish surnames and place names still retain these words as prefixes, such as the surname Trelawny and the village Polzeath. Tre in the Cornish language means a settlement or homestead; Pol, a pond, lake or well; and Pen (also Welsh and Cumbric), a hill or headland. Cornish surnames and placenames are generally pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable.[4]

Triangle.
Polygon.
Pentagon.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Tre in the Cornish language means a settlement or homestead

Or possibly is their version of our old friend the llan, the ton, the burgh, the ville etc etc. What the connection is with your ingenious triangle though is not clear. However it would be useful to know how (allegedly) saints' names are treated in Cornish place-names. If tre- is the equivalent of llan, then you might want to pick out the saints from this lot (the Welsh manage to do it unerringly!) Look out for Saint Menhir.

Trebarwith Strand
Tregantle Beach
Tregardock Beach
Tregiffian Barrow
Tregithey Woods
Tregonning Hill
Tremenheere Woods
Trenant Wood
Trencrom Hill
Treryn Dinas
Tresavean Trail
Tresayes Wood and Nature Reserve
Tresco Isles of Scilly
Trethevy Quoit
Trevellas Porth
Trevone
Trevose Head Lighthouse
Trewellard
Treyarnon Bay
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in