MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The English language and the origins of the English (Linguistics)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Britanicus

In: The West Country

I have been researching the English language for many months and have stumbled on some very startling findings and coincidences.

Firstly I do not think that the English or their language has anything to do with the so called Anglo-Saxons who strangely enough do not exist across the water from whence we are told they arrived from to these shores. Scholars in Scandinavia or Germany wanting to study the Anglo-Saxons have to come to England to study them as absolutely NO sign of them exists in their "former" homeland, absolutely zero. Now how can that be considering they had a written language over here for hundreds of years ( The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles for instance )?

In the first page of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles it states that the ancient Britons originated from Armenia. I casually started looking in that area and found some maps on Google and a history of Greater Armenia (its greatest extent as an empire ) and lo and behold I Googled two of its western provinces, Caucasian Iberia and Caucasian Albania, not to be confused by those later provinces to the East next to Italy and Spain itself. Just curious to see if they were related or were the original homeland of the Albanians of today and the Iberians of Spain of yesteryear.

Imagine my shock on discovering the 5th century map of Caucasian Iberia was none other than the flag of Saint George, a red cross on a white background, the English national flag of today. And then imagine my greater shock to discover their national emblem was none other than Saint George slaying the dragon riding a white horse, our English patron saint! We all are aware that St George is not an Englishman but a chivalrous/gallant/honourable foreigner we have adopted.

Caucasian Iberia is now a part of Georgia whose patron saint is yes, St.George slaying the dragon, and their flag was a English flag (St.George ) with a small red cross in each of its four white quarters of the flag. Georgia literally means "The land of St.George"!

Iberians = The English.....What! I thought we were told the Iberians - The Celts ( ? ), were everyone on these Isles except the English? What is going on here? Is our history that confused and likely dead wrong?

Next I examined the province right next door to Iberia, Albania. My hackles being up I started looking at the place names and lo and behold I spotted their largest region was called Sevan and after their largest lake of that name and that got me thinking, I am in a City with its river running through it called "The Severn" next door to the Celtic Welsh who originated from Iberian Spain from a North-East province now called Gallicia. So I looked up Spain and noticed near Cadiz a town called Ronda and a Ronda de Sierra (mountains). The Rhondda Valley in Wales came to mind, a connection? Well when I was looking through my Cornish-Welsh-English dictionary I noticed that Cardiff was spelt Kardizz in Cornish, sort of an intermediate spelling of Cadiz-Kardizz-Cardiff perhaps? Ronda-Rhondda.......The origins of the swarthy/dark black haired/headed portion of the Welsh in the valleys?

Getting a feel for this I remembered that in my Irish Gaelic dictionary the Scottish were even to this day called "The Albans" re: in English "The Albanians"? And of course Ancient Britain was once called Albion.....! It just gets most curious as we get deeper into this, were the Scots, the Albans in Gaelic language, living next door to the English in Caucasian Iberia thousands of miles away in Caucasian Albania, maybe even the Welsh.......many many centuries ago?

Just a note, the Armenians were the very first Christian nation in the world, the Welsh the very first European Christian nation and if the Welsh came from greater Armenia area that would make sense.
It is said that in the 3rd century AD a pious daughter and a right little cracker I bet, ( Saint ) Helena, of the Welsh speaking King of the Britons, King Coel, was sent to Rome to marry the Roman Emperor who had been campaigning in Britain and that she managed to convert him to Christianity. His son made it the state official religion and hence into The Holy Roman Empire and the Roman Catholic Church. The Emperor Constantine the Great if I remember correctly.

And do not get me started on the origins of the Irish! From Iran of course.....Cannot deal with writing anymore at this time...Iran-Arran-Aran-Erin-Eran-Arran/Aran Isles all will be explained later. Sassanachs-Sassanid empire too, 300 to 500 AD, their conquests to Rome, Gaul and Britain.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Now THIS is actually a great post! Good job. More of this.
David

In: Somerset

Anglo Saxon was never mooted as our original language. It is a mixture of Danish and Saxon, with some Frisian thrown in plus an admix of the Britons' own Celtic/Gaelic for good measure. So no, no one from Northern Europe will recognise their language in that soup.

It is not new knowledge that the Celts of Britain (think Brittany) and the Celts across the channel were pretty interchangeable. That is why we are called GREAT Britain; and the (now French) bit was once called LESS Britain. You will find Celtic words spread all over Europe as the 'mainland' Celts will not only have wandered over to here but also across a lot of Europe as well, which explains why you are finding comparable place names all over your maps.

The only thing I find peculiar is that you appeared to be surprised with what you found when it is already an accepted part of our history.
Ishmael

David wrote:
Anglo Saxon was never mooted as our original language. ...[this] is already an accepted part of our history.

I'm surprised we have encountered this final stage of the paradigm revolution so quickly.
David

A further point . . . .

Actually we are not told that the Anglo-Saxons arrived here from anywhere - I know of no sensible history that says so. The Anglo-Saxons never were a people. The clue is in the name @Anglo-Saxons'. Notice the hyphen.

There were the Angles - who eventually settled and ruled the East coast of Britain - now East Anglia

There were the Saxons - whose name came from their weapon of choice; the seax which was a short and vicious sword. They invaded and eventually settled the East part of the South of Britain; hence Essex (the East Seaxes), the southern part; hence Sussex (the south seaxes); the Western part; Wessex (the West seaxes), and, finally, the ones in the middle, now Middlesex (the middle seaxes).

The other major invaders, the Danes, were driven north and settled and ruled from their capital in what is now York.

The result of the mixing of the Angles and the Saxons produced what became known as the Anglo-Saxons. But that 'people' were produced here. They were not an existing entity that arrived, which is why you can't find any trace of them in Northern Europe. What you will find are the descendants of the Angles and the Saxons.
David

Ishmael wrote:
David wrote:
Anglo Saxon was never mooted as our original language. ...[this] is already an accepted part of our history.

I'm surprised we have encountered this final stage of the paradigm revolution so quickly.

I have to admit that it disappoints me greatly, Ishmael; but I have to admit that I do not believe there is any substantial error in the paradigm here. The point is that there is just sooooo much solid evidence to back the 'established' history of this part of British history that I believe that the establishment historians have actually managed to get it (mostly) right.

What would be interesting is to look more closely at the (largely assumed) history regarding the Celts and their origins. I think Brittanicus' comments there could be followed up very fruitfully.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It is unclear whether you have read my book, David, but having devoted so many years to this subject I feel too languid to take up the cudgels yet again.
David

I am currently reading ME, Mick, and am enjoying it greatly. Your first book is now on my reading list.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

David wrote:
A further point . . . .There were the Saxons - whose name came from their weapon of choice; the seax which was a short and vicious sword. They invaded and eventually settled the East part of the South of Britain; hence Essex (the East Seaxes), the southern part; hence Sussex (the south seaxes); the Western part; Wessex (the West seaxes), and, finally, the ones in the middle, now Middlesex (the middle seaxes).

Welcome David. Thanks for clarifying this. Rather stupidly, as I live in Arizona, I had assumed that Saxon was simply a variant of "Section".

Middle section. East Section. West section etc.

I never realised that history could be so nasty and brutish. Invaders with swords eh? Clearly the natives did not like it "up em" as the sword is long forgotten.

You might want to think about "sex" to get a hand(le) on this....
David

Yes Wile E, I have to admit that the county of Middlesex had me confused when I was a youngster. But then, at that age, I had sex on the brain pretty well constantly.
Ishmael

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Rather stupidly...I had assumed that Saxon was simply a variant of "Section".

Not stupid. Correct.
David

That is interesting, Ishmael. I hadn't realised that Saxony whence came the Saxons had any connection with the word section. My understanding (possibly wrongly) was that 'section' came from the latin secare thence to sectio, thence to the middle English 'section'.

I don't, however, know the etymology of the word 'saxony' or 'saxon' except that it was supposed to be connected with the seaxes that they used as their prime weapon. Can you expound on your statement 'cos I could learn something here and I am always keen to do that.
Britanicus

In: The West Country

The origins of the Scots and Irish via Caucasian Iberia and Caucasian Albania, both next door to Armenia, Northeast and East to be precise, part of the Caucasian mountain region.

In Irish Gaelic Scotland is called Alban ( Albanians? ).
Britain was once called Albion.
The staging post via the original homeland of the Scots and Irish is called Iberia ( Spain ) from whence came they to Ireland and afterwards to Scotland.
Ireland was once called Hibernia ( Iberia? ).
There is a Ancient Cult of Hibernian Order organisation in Northern Ireland today.
In the past Southern Ireland was called Erin and Northern Ireland ( Ulster ) Hibernia at the same time.
The Scoti tribe lived in Northern Ireland and it invaded Pictland, Northern Britain and gave it's name to Scotland and the Scots.
The Fenians ( Catholic secret society ) are named after Fenius Farsaid a Scythian King related to the Scots via King Mil and Queen Scota.
The Scythian Empire to the North/Northeast/East of Caucasian Iberia and Albania.

Conclusion Ireland and Scotland were invaded by people from Caucasian Iberia and Albania which comprised the ruling elite of said countries, so were the Celts from the Caucasian mountains, Iran and Armenia?
When the Persians were conquering massive amounts of land to form their huge empire, did many groups of people respond by moving west, eventually residing in Spain via a seaborne invasion? Were these people the Celts?
We know the Trojans ( located in Western Turkey ) moved West out of the clutches of the conquering Greeks via the sea to Italy ( the founders of the Roman Empire ) and possibly via Spain to Britain. The Kingdom of Mercia is said to be the first kingdom of the British Trojans and there is an area called Murcia in Spain today.
There was a Gallicia province in Northern Spain from whence it is said the Gaels came from to Ireland, Gaelic too ?
Then there is Cadiz-Kardizz ( Cornish for Cardiff )-Cardiff-Caerdydd ( Welsh ) in The Southwest of Spain it's capital town called Ronda and nearby the Ronda Sierra mountains ( cue Rhondda valley in Wales ). Where the dark haired swarthy Welsh come from?

Just to tickle the fancy more, on the first page of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles it is stated that the ancient Britons came from...... Armenia!

Is Gaelic a language from the same area?
Are Welsh and Gaelic really related....or probably not?

One thing for sure, ALL the Celts came to us via Spain and there was many invasions over possibly centuries and many of these Celts were separate races but related in some way.

Spain at that time was a very rich province, well watered, warm and well cultivated, plenty of food for the natives. Copper, Tin and Gold mines were there in plenty. It was a lot greener than today and heavily forested in parts.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I can't read scrambled writing. Please paragraph properly. It will, as a by-product, order your thoughts.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Interesting exchange on medium.com. It started with an article entitled (somewhat challengingly) Gyppo by Avi Kotzer https://medium.com/silly-little-dictionary/gyppo-a1baa5557656 and included the even more challenging

In reality, Romani are an Indo-Aryan ethnic group ... and hail from India

which I could not let pass. So I replied

In reality, the Romani have no more idea where they come from than does anyone else. The term 'Indo-Aryan' is a non-sequitur since the Indians are Aryan. But please note, 'Aryan' is no longer used in any non-Nazi context, 'Indo-European' being the preferred term. Oh, and one thing more, Indo-European is a completely bogus concept. But apart from that...

This prompted Avi to change the original article (naughty) but to consult my back catalogue (nice) including my piece on my mate’s death and me becoming a faux-spiritualist, which he highlighted. So when he replied

Mick, thank you for reading and commenting. I always appreciate input from readers. The information I got about the Roma's origins came from several sources I checked, among them the current online Britannica and this article: https://www.livescience.com/25294-origin-romani-people.html

If you have information about other possible origins of the Roma, I'd love to check them out. I'm always open to correcting my articles as needed. (You'll notice I fixed the "Indo-Aryan" part to avoid misunderstandings.) Thank you again!

I proffered back

Like I said, nobody knows where they come from, it doesn't stop encyclopaedias telling people where they come from. That's on account of everyone demanding to know where they come from and anywhere is better than "Blowed if I know, sunshine." A case in point. You might have guessed that 'Communing with the spirits' was written by me, an Englishman. Origins of English people supposedly southern Denmark and northern Germany.

In truth, "Blowed if I know, sunshine." It was about a Sephardi Jew whose family came from Iraq and India. Actual origins of Sephardi Jews? Well, my guess is you're an Ashkenazim, so you tell me.

I'll keep you posted if he does. I think I have misused the plural of Ashkenazi but in the context I preferred the term I used.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in