MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sea Stacs : what are they and why are they? (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I will not try to reach again,
I will not set my sail alone,
To moor a boat bereft of men
At Yarnton's tiny docks of stone.

But I will sit beside the fire,
And put my hand before my eyes,
And trace, to fill my heart's desire,
The last of all our Odysseys.

The quiet evening kept her tryst:
Beneath an open sky we rode,
And passed into a wandering mist
Along the perfect Evenlode.

The tender Evenlode that makes
Her meadows hush to hear the sound
Of waters mingling in the brakes,
And binds my heart to English ground.

A lovely river, all alone,
She lingers in the hills and holds
A hundred little towns of stone,
Forgotten in the western wolds
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Hilaire Belloc's poem could just as easily have come from the mouth of Bilbo Baggins. I wonder if Tolkein was a fan.
Keimpe

In: Leeuwarden, Frisia

Komori,

I put up your pics.

Ishmael, what was that trick again to prevent pictures from growing too wide??

Keimpe
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I fixed the dimensions but we're still waiting on one last map.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The bastards must have moved the Thames in antiquity. This St Michael triangle of yours, Komoro, is mightily impressive. How original to you is the discovery, and how close to being an equilateral triangle (or isosceles, come to that) is it?
Komorikid

It's my discovery and I think you'll find it's the same dimensions as the Great Pyramid.
Komorikid

Hatty wrote:

Margate is on the Isle of Thanet though it's now part of the mainland, the opposite of the Isle of Wight. The name 'Thanet' is corruption of the Celtic teine-arth "high fire", suggesting that there may a lighthouse or beacon on the island.
Was there a trade route from, say, London, to the continent?

Thanet can also be Tenedos.
Th = T; d = t ; os is a Greek suffix for island - Island of Tenes.

Tenes was the grandson of Apollo and the son of Cycnus, king of Colonae. Cycnus means swan and Thanet has large flocks of swans along its coast and further inland in Kent. In ancient times, large stretches of the Kent countryside were waterlogged and covered with dense reed beds and meandering waterways, which were ideal habitats for swans.
The White Swan seems to be a rather popular name in Kent. Could this go back a long way into the past.

Apollo was the god of Avalon = England
Ishmael

Komorikid wrote:
Tenes was the grandson of Apollo and the son of Cycnus, king of Colonae. Cycnus means swan and Thanet has large flocks of swans along its coast and further inland in Kent.

Is this the Island of Apollo and is the Swan the Cattle of the Sun of which there are 666?
Ishmael

Komorikid wrote:
Thanet can also be Tenedos.
Th = T; d = t ; os is a Greek suffix for island - Island of Tenes.

I must say...all these triangles do make me think of the Troad.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's my discovery and I think you'll find it's the same dimensions as the Great Pyramid.

Got any figures?
Komorikid

There is something rather strange about the Thames just west of Oxford. It spends most of its time meandering east from the Thames Head then suddenly at Oxford it takes a right angle bend south at the confluence with an un-named river that flows from the north. That nameless river becomes the Oxford Canal. If one was coming up river from London one would carry on north past the tributary of the Isis which runs into the Thames from the west. Is it possible that the Isis was always the Isis and that the upper Thames valley is North not West of Oxford?
Ishmael

I was thinking about the "London Times" newspaper. It's one of the oldest in the world. Then I thought, is it of posible significance that the "Times" is published in a city along the bank of the "Thames?" What was the reason for changing the title of the Newswpaper from "The Daily Universal Register" to the "London Times" on January 1st, 1788? Was there some special cultural connection between "time" and "london?"

My point is that, time is often described as a river and I wonder if the Thames itself might not be the "River of Time?"
Mick Harper
Site Admin

...mmm...Old Father Thames and Old Father Time are both trusty, well-beloved phrases. And don't forget, the bit of the Thames near Oxford is called The Isis for reasons nobody seems able to explain (or even be much interested in).
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

And don't forget, the bit of the Thames near Oxford is called The Isis for reasons nobody seems able to explain (or even be much interested in).

Isis is a Greek name and if Wilkens is right that practically the whole corpus of Greek mythology originated over here, then the whole mythology industry needs to make an about-face.

Orthodoxy is far too flippant about placenames to give the Isis any more thought than "at some point, someone brought the name from the eastern Med".

Ish wrote:
What was the reason for changing the title of the Newswpaper from "The Daily Universal Register" to the "London Times" on January 1st, 1788? Was there some special cultural connection between "time" and "london?"

Apart from the obvious, you mean? I had to look up when the Greenwich Meridian was established as the international Prime Meridian and found "the meridian was agreed upon in October 1884", rather a lot later than 1788; but on the other hand it "was selected as the Prime Meridian because over two thirds of all ships and tonnage already used it as the reference meridian on their maps in 1884", so it was a de facto standard for who knows how long. (BTW, "the French did not adopt the Greenwich meridian until 1911.")

My point is that, time is often described as a river and I wonder if the Thames itself might not be the "River of Time?"

The default translations for 'time' are (Germanic) tijd, Zeit, i.e. 'tide', and (Romance) temps/tempo/tiempo. If 'time' originated in England, it'd be odd that the Germanics didn't use the same word but the Romantics did.

On the other hand, I suppose it's arguable whether temps/tempo is necessarily cognate with 'time' and the English word might be considered unique (and therefore possibly uniquely connected with the Thames).
admin
Librarian

If you wanna know the truth about the Giant's Causeway go to New Concepts and check out the Bimini DVD on The AEL Goes AudioVisual.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in