MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sea Stacs : what are they and why are they? (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

Ishmael wrote:
In that country been many ipotaynes, that dwell some time in the water, and sometime on the land...

By the way, "ipotaynes" is just this poet's attempt to spell out, phonetically, a word very much like the one we now know as Hippopotamus. Apparently pronounced something like (just educated guess work of course) "H'ip-pot-Hy-en-as". A Hippot-Hyena.

If it's a phoentic rendition of an unfamiliar word, you might make hyena out of ayne, though it's less certain that a T should appear in hippo. But is it unfamiliar? NSOED says hippopotamus is

ME. [OFr. ypotame, med.L ypotamus, or its source L hippopotamus f. Gk hippopotamos, earlier hippos ho potamios horse of the river.]

Looks like an ordinary contraction to me, a familiar word, already known in French as ypotame, almost identical to ipotayne. It looks like there can be no doubt that it means river horse.

A -PO- has gone missing, either from hippo or from potam-. It's interesting if potam- can come out tam/tame, i.e. Thame or Thames.
And why on Earth are hyenas called pigs?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Dan wrote:
Looks like an ordinary contraction to me, a familiar word, already known in French as ypotame, almost identical to ipotayne. It looks like there can be no doubt that it means river horse.

A -PO- has gone missing, either from hippo or from potam-. It's interesting if potam- can come out tam/tame, i.e. Thame or Thames.

Could it be "Upper Thames" ('hyper'-Tamesis')?

And why on Earth are hyenas called pigs?

Pigs are 'unclean' animals as Wireloop has reminded us. Hyenas in African folklore are associated with sorcery and sexual perversion, i.e. are regarded as 'disgusting'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Oh well, at least we've found the origin of the word hypoteneuse. As you all know, the original 5,12,13 triangle was formed by drawing a line from Stonehenge to Lundy Island (aka 'the angle'), a line from Lundy Island to Preseli (where the Stonehenge Sarsen Stones were mined) and Preseli back to Stonehenge. The last of these lines is the hypotenuese of the triangle and is traced by the course of the Upper Thames (hyper-Tamesis).

I shall be passing the hat round.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

I must admit I believed them when they said hypo- = below, -tenuse = stretched out (as in tense), hypotenuse = drawn underneath.

We are accustomed to the hypotenuse being the diagonal side, but it's also natural to draw right-angled triangles with the hypotenuse horizontal, not least to illustrate the point that when the diameter of a circle forms one side of a triangle and the opposite corner lies on the circumference, the triangle is always right-angled.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Can we get a diagram showing the alleged correlation between the Thames and the Hypoteneuse of this triangle we've been discussing for more than a year now?
Wireloop

In: Detroit

I'm sure you knew, but hypo also means 'less than'.
Hypo = under (space, time and value)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So hypo-Tamesis means less than or under the Thames. If somebody with more time and less talent than myself (and possibly Wireloop) would bestir themselves and produce a map showing the line between Stonehenge and the Preseli Quarry and the course of the Thames we could all put this one to bed.
PS Margate is, sort of, at the mouth of the Thames.
PPS Yes of course, it's the Thames not the Nile that is the artificial river.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Oh, I forgot to mention, could our nice map-maker include the part of the Thames known as the Isis. And speaking of Gyppo connections I just read that the geezers ruling the bit of France that later gave rise to the Rennes-le-Chateau business were called Bernard-Aton I, II, III and IV. But don't tell the conspiracy theorists!
Wireloop

In: Detroit

In Euclid (book 1, prop 47) he proves 'the hypotenuse' without ever using the word 'hypotenuse'. Notice that Euclid actually draws the hypotenuse (5 squared) 'under' the 2 sides (3 and 4 squared).
Don't forget our encounter with the number 1260.

3 + 4 + 5 = 12
3 x 4 x 5 = 60

As we have seen, the number 5 represent the Logos and PHI. So, in which way does the word, and picture of, 'hypotenuse' resemble Logos?

2 fold:
The hypotenuse (the number 5) is sort of a metaphysical 'base' stretched-under the framework of the constructed cosmos, and, indeed it is the hypotenuse's act of mediation between the 2 sides, which gives voice to the 'right angle'. In the process of being the base, it is the creator of what is 'right'.
If the hypotenuse were not the number 5, then the angle (or creation) would not be 'right'.
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Oh well, at least we've found the origin of the word hypotenuse. As you all know, the original 5,12,13 triangle was formed by drawing a line from Stonehenge to Lundy Island (aka 'the angle'), a line from Lundy Island to Preseli (where the Stonehenge Sarsen Stones were mined) and Preseli back to Stonehenge. The last of these lines is the hypotenuese of the triangle and is traced by the course of the Upper Thames (hyper-Tamesis).

Unfortunately neither of these statements is correct. The Sarsen stones came from Marlborough Downs; the Bluestones came from Preseli Hills. And nowhere on its vector does the Preseli/Stonehenge hypotenuse come anywhere close to the upper Thames Valley.

Put that hat back on your head.

So hypo-Tamesis means less than or under the Thames. If somebody with more time and less talent than myself (and possibly Wireloop) would bestir themselves and produce a map showing the line between Stonehenge and the Preseli Quarry and the course of the Thames we could all put this one to bed.

Komorikid

Speaking of all things geometric here is a pic of what I call the St Michael's Pyramid.

Komorikid

The Thames appears (according to OS maps) to be called the Isis from its source to the confluence with the Evenlode near Eynsham, just northwest of Oxford.

The Yellow Line represents the extent of the Isis. The Green intersecting lines are the end of the Angle triangle. You can clearly see the Thames is way to the north of this vector.
Extending the Preseli/Stonehenge line further east intersects Amiens in France.

(Isis Map Here Please)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Since Keimpe has a wife, children and a monstrous drug habit to support, I suggest would-be map-putter-uppers send their maps to Ishmael who has acres of time, the technical wherewithal, a Boy Scout's enthusiasm and a son-of-the-manse's sense of obligation to help the world.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Thames appears (according to OS maps) to be called the Isis from its source to the confluence with the Evenlode near Eynsham, just northwest of Oxford.

The Evenlode!? Jaysus.More on this, please.
Komorikid

Evenlode or Eowinlode sounds almost Tolkienesque and considering that nearby there is the 'Four Shires Stone' one wonders if this area was the inspiration for the four farthings of Tolkien's Shire.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in