MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sea Stacs : what are they and why are they? (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

I wrote:
Who can do the diagram.

Well, I've gone back sketched what I mean. My graphical tools/skills are rudimentary, but you'll get the idea. Here is my post again, annotated with greater precision. Distances are in whole millimetres on a print-out {The points themselves are not defined well enough to do any better than that.} and the angles calculated from those. Judge any geomantic significance for yourself.

Lundy-Preseli-Stonehenge: As Mick said, the triangle LPS is a 5:12:13 {22 : 50 : 54 or 5.3 : 12.0 : 13.0 } triangle with LP due north, LS due east.

W is (pretty much) equidistant between L and P {12 and 13}, giving a triangle LPW angles 30°, 30°, 120° {27.1°, 29.6°, 123.2°}. W pretty much bisects angle LSP {13.2° & 10.9°}.

DPCrisp

Preseli-Stonehenge-Great Orme: is a 3:4:5 triangle!{2.96 : 4.00 : 5.04} If you go straight from S to P and turn 90° {91.4°} to the right, you'll hit G.

DPCrisp

Worm's Head-Stonehenge-Great Orme is very close to half a square with the right angle {92.6°} at W, which is nearly equidistant between G and S {49 and 45}.

DPCrisp

Lundy-Great Orme-Stonehenge is not a right-angled triangle: it has angles (pretty much) 45°, 60°, 75° {45.3°, 59.4°, 75.3°}. That means LG bisects the angle PLW: i.e. from Lundy, Preseli is on a bearing of 0°, Great Orme is on a bearing of 15° {14.7°}, Worm's Head is on a bearing of 30° {29.6°} and Stonehenge is on a bearing of 90°.

(The 60° bearing passes pretty close {within 1 mm} to Whiteleafed Oak... 75° pretty close to my house... I dunno what' on the 45° line. Is it significant that it's not Birmingham?

I raise the not-Birmingham question deliberately because the major ancient roads like Watling Street and Fosse Way tend to cross in the middle of nowhere (Dunstable, on the Watling Street/Icknield Way crossroads, is a relatively new town); whereas they terminate at sacred sites like Glastonbury, Canterbury and Lincoln.
DPCrisp

From Stonehenge, Preseli is 24° {24.03°} north of Lundy: St. Michael's Mount is 24° {24.38°} south...

Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Your discovery that Preseli-Stonehenge-Great Orme is a 3-4-5 right-angled triangle is (as far as I know) a discovery.

Your discovery that Worm's Head-Stonehenge-Great Orme isn't anything at all (whch is surely what "very close to half a square with the right angle {92.6°)" amounts to).

I couldn't quite decide about your lines radiating out from Lundy. However, Whiteleafed Oak is the centre of something called (I haven't got it to hand) The Three Choirs or something. Anyway it's frightfully important.

I loved the bisection of Preseli and St Michael's Mount with the Lundy line. Especially as the line St Michael's Mount to Stonehenge is itself The Dragon Line and therefore The Prime Megalithic Meridian!
Ishmael

In: Toronto

If sea-stacs are to be taken as evidence of a) prehistoric intensive long-distance travel and b) mega-scale engineering, then we should look for other stuff that might qualify. What about this:

Does this look natural to youse guys?

From Iverness to Fort William, something strange is going on.

Is there anyone else who is wondering what is going on?

Does orthodoxy have anything to say on this matter? Have they even asked any questions?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The crazies have a lot to say about it -- the Loch Ness monster lives there! But of course orthodoxy treats the Great Glen as a cause celebre of tectonicism. "Ooh, look at how one plate has sheared off so perfectly." (I seem to remember that they even use this as a boundary between the North American and European plates...somesuch extravagance.) But, as you say, its uniqueness would seem to rule this out -- straightness is not a characteristic of plate boundaries, even where they are extremely linear eg the Great Rift Valley.

But how straight is straight? The photo you posted, Ishmael, might be misleading because this whole "thing" was converted into a (very unsuccessful) ship canal in the nineteenth century so the bit you show might have been (modernly) straightened.

One problem about ancient origins might be the local rock type. It is one thing to speculate about grand scale carrying-ons in southern England where the rock is chalk, limestone etc which is potentially removable on the grand scale by low technology, but I think the Caledonian Canal environs are granitic or some similarly hard-to-deal-with substance.

And then there is purpose. Three possibilities spring (unbidden) to mind:
1. As a ship route. It is certainly a treacherous voyage round the north of Scotland for ancient shipping so digging out this short-cut is a possibility. Nor need it have been a continuous water-route since portages are locally available.
2. Long, straight routes seem to have some important significance for Megalithics. Whether mystical or functional is yet to be established.
3. Converting overall landmasses to a particular shape and or size (geomantics) is supposed to have been a Megalithic speciality. Cutting out the Great Glen does actually make northern Scotland into a parallelogram. Though for the life of me I can't see why this should be important. But then this is generally the case when it comes to the Megalithic Mind.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Yes. I was wondering about the Loch Ness Monster. Even allowing for the fact that the whole thing was probably a 1930's cineaste's hoax, it certainly has resonance! Remember our Worm's Head discussion? And the Great Orme? These are places of navigational interest that are somehow associated with giant worms (a kind of dragon). I wonder if Loch Ness was similarly associated with a giant worm and only later was this association taken literally.

By the way, with reference to where the word Scotland comes from and my speculation that it is "the scotched land", the Great Glen is a 'scotch' (a long thin cut) that has been scored from one coast to the other. To stretch matters further, Scotland is 'scotched' by three lines deliberately (?) cut across it from coast-to-coast: Hadrian's Wall, the Antonine Wall and the Great Glen. And curiously, the present England-Scotland border is another one but this time almost exactly parallel with the Great Glen....another parallelogram in the making?.
DPCrisp

From Wikipedia

Inverness was one of the chief strongholds of the Picts, and in 565 was visited by Saint Columba with the intention of converting the Pictish king Brude, who is supposed to have resided in the vitrified fort on Craig Phadrig -- Patrick's Rock -- (168 m), 2.4 km west of the city. A church or a monk's cell is thought to have been established by early Celtic monks on St. Michael's Mount, a mound close to the river, now the site of the Old High Church and graveyard.

A St. Michael's Mount at the end of a special line that crosses the country from coast to coast? Well, that sounds like the the Michael or Dragon Line in southern England, starting at St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall and running to the Norfolk coast.

Mont Saint Michel and St Michael's Mount in Cornwall were historical counterparts. The parallel existence of both reflects a number of corresponding places in Cornwall and Brittany. Indeed, both have the same name in their respective languages: carrick loz en coz in Breton and carrick looz en cooz in Cornish. To this day many Cornish people consider Mont St Michel to be in Brittany, not Normandy.

What are the chances of that happening!? The exact same name surely can't come in the ordinary way from the topology. There must be a specific, figurative meaning.

There's a Michael's Rock in Ireland. Are the Megalithics careful to have only one "Saint Michael's Mount" in each country... like one Finisterre each?

Skellig Michael (from Sceilig Mhichil in the Irish language, meaning Michael's rock), also known as Great Skellig, is a steep rocky island about 15 kilometres west of the coast of County Kerry, Ireland. It is the larger of the two Skellig Islands.

Somebody have a look: do the Skellig Islands resemble the Needles and the Worm's Head? Does Michael have a rock or mount in Spain? Speaking of Spain, the Skellig Islands are not far from Ireland's Valencia.

The Great Glen is about 36 degrees from 'vertical' and a parallel line from Skellig Michael goes through Dublin and Newcastle (at the end of Hadrian's Wall).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We've run into good 'un this time and no mistake.
1. There is St Michael's Mount at the extreme south-west of Britain (Cornwall)
2. There is St Michael's Mount at the (not quite extreme) north-east of Britain (Inverness)
3. There is Skellig Michael at the (very) extreme south-west of Ireland see at this Web site
4. There is Mont St Michel at the extreme north-west of Europe
5. There is a St Michaels Rock at the extreme south-west of Europe, at Gibraltar.

And orthodoxy hasn't got a thing to say about it!
DPCrisp

But nutter-doxy is on the case

I haven't heard of the Gibraltar-St. Michael connection before, but St. Michael's Cave is reckoned to be named for a similarity to Gargano in Italy, which is on the diagram above.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Gargano sounds more related to George, the other dragon-slayer.

Armageddon is the end of the line, Har Megido or 'Hill of Megido', i.e. Hill or Mount of Michael.
DPCrisp

Ahem.

Monte Gargano is the site of the oldest shrine in Western Europe dedicated to the archangel Michael, Monte Sant'Angelo sul Gargano.
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Ahem! Too.

Mont St Michel and St Michael's Mount form a perfect Isosceles Triangle with Stonehenge at the apex and each mount at opposite ends of the base. The base angle is 54 degrees uncorrected for earth curvature. But I suspect with a trigonometric projection this would be reduced to 52 degrees, extremely close to the Great Pyramid.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in