MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inside Every Fat Person (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I'd be quite happy on a diet of olives, feta cheese, salami and white wine.

No you wouldn't.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
I'd be quite happy on a diet of olives, feta cheese, salami and white wine.

No you wouldn't.

Oh alright then, Chips as well.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Boreades wrote:
I've solved that problem. Fat is soluble in alcohol, so drinking a steady amount of good white wine helps flush it through your digestive system.

Seriously. Could this be the answer??
Boreades

Ishmael wrote:
Seriously. Could this be the answer??

Yes.

My day-job medical colleagues have alerted me to the latest evidence-based research that suggests that Heart Disease may be a cholesterol deficiency problem. Along with a sulphur deficiency problem.

e.g.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/17/stephanie-seneff-on-sulfur.aspx

That in itself suggest that the reason the "mediterranean diet" is healthier for people might just be because they get more sunlight, and they drink wine while they consume the food.

Not forgetting that Sulphur is a common additive to wine.
Boreades

In the Daily Wail today...

Former World Health Organisation alcohol expert Dr Kari Poikolainen has analysed decades of research into the effects of alcohol on the human body.

He believes that drinking more than the current recommended daily intake may in fact be healthier than being a teetotaler.

'The weight of the evidence shows moderate drinking is better than abstaining and heavy drinking is worse than abstaining', however the moderate amounts can be higher than the guidelines say.

Meanwhile, some French doctors have advised patients they should drink "...at least 50 cl of red wine daily" (c. 2/3rds of a bottle)

Ah, it reminds me of the Good Old Days, as portrayed by the local GP (in that delightful classic "Whisky Galore"), who went out of his way to make sure a sick patient had got enough whisky and baccy.
Boreades

Here's the final word on nutrition and health.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the English.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the English.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the English.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the English.

5.. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than the English.

Conclusion?
Eat and drink what you like.
Apparently, it's speaking English that kills you.
Ishmael

This year, on my vacation, I traveled to the Philippines, where I had the pleasure of viewing many thin Asian ladies in their bikinis on the lovely white sand beaches. The trip reminded me of something I had observed previously about Filipinas; they generally come in only two sizes: Really really thin or really really fat.

What possible reason could there be for this?

Here in the western world, we tend to be somewhat plus-sized. Those that are not more-often-than-not, must invest hours in the gym to maintain their figures. We generally assume that there must be something special about western food or the western diet that is causing us to put on so many extra pounds.

Yet, I have observed that immigrants from Asian countries do not tend to get fat, if they came here thin, regardless of how much food they consume! One Chinese girl I knew as a child would regularly out-eat the rest of our family combined, when visiting us for dinner---yet she was perhaps the thinnest girl I'd ever known. Today, 20 years later, she has put on only a moderate amount of weight, after having lived in the West since childhood.

Recently, intestinal bacteria has been shown to be linked with obesity. Results are so conclusive that stool transfers from fat mice will make thin mice bloat to the same gargantuan size! Human beings who have, for medical reasons, received stool transplants, have shown similar weight gain when the stool was taken from a fat person.

Is it possible then that we can explain the thin bodies of Filipinas (as well as other beautiful Asian women) with a bacteria model?

Well it would explain why Asians who immigrate to the West and eat our western food stay thin: If their guts are never invaded by fat-making bacteria, they should never get fat. But it could also explain the apparent dichotomy that exists between the two basic Filipina forms. If we assume that both filippinas are eating the same amount of food, the Filipina with the fat-inducing bacteria would become obese while the Filipina who lacks this bacteria will remain thin.

The question is, why does one Filipina have the bacteria and the other, not?
Ishmael

It was while I was sitting on the toilet that the answer came to me.

After my trip I was struck by a horrible bout of diarrhea. Despite my best efforts to avoid doing so, it appears that I did, in fact, drink the water. The effect of imbibing even a small amount of local Philippines water was as instructive as it was powerful. The lesson, of course, was just how strongly my body worked to eliminate all vestige of the invading, Filipino bacteria.

That's when it occurred to me that the one thing we have in the west that they do not have in Asia is clean drinking water.

Asian water contains bacteria. What kind of bacteria does it contain? Could it be the kind of bacteria that make you thin? Well yes. It could be. Or at least, the kind of bacteria that are hostile to the fat-making kind. If you've imbibed these anti-fat bacteria from childhood, they make a home in your body and ward-off the fat-making variety. So you never get the fat-making bacteria in your body and you never get fat.

But if you, for some reason, do not get a good dose of these anti-fat bacteria early on in life, the fat-making bacteria will colonize your body. Once they've made a home within you, the fat-making bacteria will ward-off any invasion by the anti-fat kind.

When we travel to foreign countries, we imagine that it is the bacteria in their water that is making us sick. Of course it isn't. It's the bacteria we bring with us that make us sick. Our own bacteria engage their defenses when foreigners invade their world. Among those defenses is powerful diarrhea.

Filipinas come in two sizes because some Filipinas, despite their environment, are not colonized early on by the anti-fat bacteria. This may be because of a slightly more hygienic environment or it may be because of a natural immunity. Research is required: Beginning by separating our sample Filipinas into their two respective groups and comparing bacteria cultures taken from each.

I volunteer to man our remote laboratory.
Ishmael

Now if it is true that Americans have been getting fatter over the past 50 years, we might want to start asking what we've been doing with our drinking water over the past 50 years.

The most obvious bit of tinkering we've done is fluoridation and chlorination.

While relevant effects of fluoridation are unknown, the effects of chlorination are clear and quite deliberate: Chlorine kills bacteria!

The first use of Chlorination in the United States occurred in 1908 in Jersey City, New Jersey. If we track the installation of Chlorine treatment across the nation, we might find an overlap with rising obesity one or two generations later. The same trend can be looked for with fluoridation---which is most interesting because it was not implemented in the USA until 1945 and, to my knowledge, has never been popular in Europe.

Either process may be killing off the anti-fat bacteria in the water and allowing the fat bacteria to establish a home in our guts in infancy. More research is required.

Of course, not everyone is fat because of chlorination or fluoride. Otherwise there would be no fat Polynesians or fat Filipinas.

Nevertheless, all fat people are fat because their bodies have been colonized by the fat-making bacteria and the only cure for this is to colonize the body first with the anti-fat bacteria.

All this and more will be accomplished once my remote lab is set up. Send me your funding contributions today.
Boreades

Chateau Boreades and its inmates has unwittingly been hosting Field Trials on this kind of research for c.20 years.

We grow veg, we keep chickens, dogs and bees. Thanks to that, we are continually exposed to a cocktail of bacteria from the soil, veg, eggs and animals. Purely coincidentally, we don't get sick and we don't have any food allergies. This may be an accidentally natural (and free) version of the probiotic yoghurts we are encouraged to buy and consume. Perhaps it is psychosomatic (we're too busy to indulge ourselves).

But colleagues at work who live in towns seem to frequently go off sick, and a small but significant (and increasing) proportion of our visitors have allergies of all kinds. Not saying it's caused by living in towns, but it does appear to correlate.

Anecdotally :
(1) a friend who has a similar lifestyle to ours went to India, and had no tummy troubles at all. Neither did I when I worked in Goa.
(2) a visitor reported that he suffered from asthma for years until he started eating raw honey (unpasteurised and containing pollen). His asthma disappeared and has never returned.

We are also at the head of the water supply, so any tap water we drink has only been treated once. The folk in towns downstream will get the recycled water that has been treated with many more chemicals.
Ishmael

Yes. But be wary of the "combination of factors" fallacy. In AE, we insist that there is always ONE SOLUTION.

This thread is concerned with the problem of Obesity. The goal is to find the ONE THING that causes it.

Same rule goes for allergies and colds. Don't blame it on a combination of factors. Find the one thing responsible.
Boreades

We all know the ONE THING that causes it is food stored in the body. Why must there be only one solution?
e.g.
- eating less
- storing less
- expelling more
Are all viable solutions.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ishmael wrote:
Yes. But be wary of the "combination of factors" fallacy. In AE, we insist that there is always ONE SOLUTION.

This thread is concerned with the problem of Obesity. The goal is to find the ONE THING that causes it.

Same rule goes for allergies and colds. Don't blame it on a combination of factors. Find the one thing responsible.

There is one single factor responsible for both obesity and allergies and that is the alteration of the human microbiome, due to artificial processing of food and water for human consumption.
Ishmael

Chad wrote:
There is one single factor responsible for both obesity and allergies and that is the alteration of the human microbiome, due to artificial processing of food and water for human consumption.

That is insufficiently specific, to say the least, and lacks any means of testing the hypothesis.
Ishmael

In contrast, my own proposal can be tested.

If I am right then obesity rates ought to very closely follow the rate and spread of chlorination or fluoridation in the US. Fluoridation is the most interesting of these two options but may not be correct.

In fact, the factor we seek may be something else entirely.

What we are looking for is the single item, the introduction of which altered the intestinal makeup of Americans in such a way as to make them habitable biomes for the fat-making bacteria. As I explained this thesis last night to my wife, she suggested that we look at baby formula and the introduction of pasteurized milk products as a replacement for breast-feeding. This may have deprived american children of the anti-fat bacteria needed in infancy.

Any solution that invokes "multiple factors" or unspecific causes is evidence only of lazy thinking. It's akin to explaining stone circles as religious mumbo-jumbo: A far too-easy alternative to rigorous investigation.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to:  
Page 9 of 11

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in