MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inside Every Fat Person (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Thank ke-erist. It's only taken forty years... and remember this is re one of the most important (certainly one of the commonest) aspects of the human diet. I hope matters go one step further now and it is shown that maximising salt intake is a good thing, at any rate within current norms. But getting everybody to meet the minimum will take another forty years now we know the truth, such is the power of 'educated' myth.
Grant

I have an annoying ear condition which a Harley Street ear consultant told me to improve by reducing my salt intake (amongst other recommendations). I was sceptical and did some research on the web, finding out that there is no evidence at all that salt will help - in fact no trials have ever been undertaken! So why did he mention salt?
Put yourself in his position. He's sitting in his swanky London surgery and he has to say something, even if there is no evidence it will work. He's really no different from an eighteenth century quack prescribing leeches and enemas - and at least some people would enjoy that!
Grant

And another thing. I have a slightly high cholesterol level. But did you know that for those over 50 there is a positive correlation between cholesterol in the blood and longevity. Those with high cholesterol levels live longer than those with low levels.

So if I obeyed the docs I would be eating low fat food with no salt. Even if it genuinely increased my life expectancy by ten years I wouldn't bother.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Is it possible that Americans were made fat by switching from Animal Fats to Vegetable Oil?

How Vegetable Oils Replaced Animal Fats in the American Diet
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is interesting. In order to get into trim for Glastonbury I've gone on an Atkins Diet (about sixteen pounds in six weeks of non-overly difficult dieting). Atkins is very insistent on full-fat and non-cereal based oil. But I've been piling on the salt!

PS Re the other thread. I've become a believer in this new fad of one minute violent exercise every day.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Atkins is very insistent on full-fat and non-cereal based oil. But I've been piling on the salt!

I've become a believer in this new fad of one minute violent exercise every day.

The labouring classes have always done just this. I really would have expected better.
Grant

Is it possible that Americans were made fat by switching from Animal Fats to Vegetable Oil?

It might not be that there is anything wrong with the vegetable fat; maybe food cooked with vegetable oil is just not as filling so people still feel hungry after eating it.

I bought a pack of lard recently and started using it instead of sunflower oil. It was amazing how much it improved any fried food. Of course, taste is very subjective but my wife complimented me on a casserole we often make, saying that my version was better than hers. The only difference - which she was ignorant of - was the use of lard. When I told her she said " Well don't use it all the time - it's bad for your heart!"
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is interesting. I switched to olive oil (partly for taste and partly because Dratkins told me to) but I think I will try lard. It is so-o-o counter-intuitive. Tell your wife that having sex with her is bad for your heart. It adds a frisson of danger to what can be a quite dully repetitive (but 120 calories an hour) exercise.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

I recently switched to butter, lard and olive oil... all high in monounsaturates and (in the case of the first two) saturates.

It's the cereal oils (which are high in polyunsaturates) that we should be avoiding... so keep your olive oil.
Grant

Tell your wife that having sex with her is bad for your heart.

That's given me an idea - sex and lard......
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Grant wrote:
Tell your wife that having sex with her is bad for your heart.

That's given me an idea - sex and lard......

Are you in Cornwall? I'm told if lard is in short supply, they do find other ways of satisfying their desires.

Anyway, Les Famille Boreades enjoys a healthy French-style diet, full-loaded in saturated fats. Plus the occasional hearty Full English Breakfast as well.

Low cholesterol diets are bad for your brain. Cholesterol is not only a major part of the brain, it forms the layers around the nerve pathways. Like insulation round the wiring.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:

Perhaps ingesting both categories of fat in one go is over-egging the main course. According to Jewish dietary laws, milk and meat have to be consumed at separate times but the only prohibition is on the type, not amount, of fat.
Boreades

Hatty wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

Perhaps ingesting both categories of fat in one go is over-egging the main course. According to Jewish dietary laws, milk and meat have to be consumed at separate times but the only prohibition is on the type, not amount, of fat.

I've solved that problem. Fat is soluble in alcohol, so drinking a steady amount of good white wine helps flush it through your digestive system.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This may be an unacknowledged (for AE reasons) element in the efficacy of the so-called Mediterranean diet.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
This may be an unacknowledged (for AE reasons) element in the efficacy of the so-called Mediterranean diet.

I heartily agree. I'd be quite happy on a diet of olives, feta cheese, salami and white wine. For those entirely healthy reasons, I keep encouraging my offspring to move to Greece.

Not to be confused with various unhealthy pecunious reasons to do with optimising capital transfer at the bottom of financial cycles.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to:  
Page 8 of 11

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in