MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scilly Isles and Cornwall (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulp History

In: Wales

At the southern tip of Cornwall is Porthcurno (taken to be the Port of Kernow)......... on the Isles of Scilly there is Porthcressa.........

Cressa comes from the Greek word for Gold

The girl's name Cressa \c-ressa, cr(es)-sa\ is a variant of Cressida (Greek), and the meaning of Cressa is "gold".

Port Gold?? Is there any evidence of gold mining on Scilly??

When searching on Cressa and Curno I came across two towns in the North of Italy, 70 miles apart, called Cressa and Curno.......

Does Curno have a meaning in Greek?? Is this just a coincidence??

In: Toronto

Obviously the Greeks came from Britain and named their new communities after the old ones.

;-)
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Curno/Kernow sounds like crown which has 'gold' connotations. There's a legend concerning Lyonesse, the drowned island connecting Scilly to the mainland.

Maybe an earlier version of Wordsworth admired the island's golden daffodils.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

Curno/Kernow sounds like crown

That's coz it's the same word (OK, cognate): corn, horn (crown of horns), corona...

Cornwall wasn't the corner until Lyonnesse was drowned, I s'pose. (Unless there's always a corner that ebbs and flows.)
Hatty
Site Admin

That's coz it's the same word (OK, cognate): corn, horn (crown of horns), corona...

That's what they say about daffs, a trumpet-shaped corona is the distinguishing feature. Daffodil comes from Welsh (Daffyd=David... David's Isle?)

Cornwall wasn't the corner until Lyonnesse was drowned, I s'pose

Something to do with Atlantic weather maybe. La Corunna in Galicia was Faro de Burgo, or simply the 'burgo' with the lighthouse (the Roman 'Brigantium') jutting out into the Atlantic; the isthmus was widened naturally apparently.
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Ish wrote:
Obviously the Greeks came from Britain and named their new communities after the old ones.

How very 'Troy in Britain' of you.
My sentiments exactly.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

La Corunna in Galicia...

Wiki: "A Coruña (...also Corunna in English, and archaically The Groyne)..."

So the Spanish/Galician corner, A Coruña, is literally in the corner where the Cape of Land's End is; across the water from where the British corner, Cornwall, is literally in the corner where (the cape of) Land's End is.

---

NSOED says this sense of groyne/groin is an alteration of the "La Coruña", but surely it's just that groin and corner are cognate within and between the two languages.

groin: [Origin uncertain: perh. repr. OE grynde depression.] The fold or depression on either side of the body between the abdomen and the upper thigh; the edge formed by the intersection of two vaults; the rib or fillet of stone or wood covering this; the arch supporting a vault.

groin: [OFr. groign (= med.L grugnum) mod. groin f. late L grunium, grunia, med.L grunnium snout, f. L grunnire grunt like a pig.] The snout of an animal, esp. a pig.

groyne, groin: (timber) framework or low broad wall run out into the sea to check the drifting of sand etc.

Breakwaters jut out into the sea and collect sand in their corners. Snouts jut out of pigs' faces and they jut them into the ground as they grub about, grunting. The joint between two curved surfaces juts out on a vault and in at the top of your leg. It's all just the word corner.
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

What's interesting about that 'corner' of Spain is that the promontory where the lighthouse was built is known as Finisterra - Spanish for Land's End.
Pulp History

In: Wales

So if Curno = Kernow then Cornwall has nothing to do with corn=horn, but more to do with Curno = Crown = Krona. The Crown being a golden coin and used in Norway, England, Iceland etcetera....... Krone, Krona, Crona, Crown...........???

That means that Porth Curno and Porth Cressa means the same thing also - Port Gold

Une supposition: si cornouaille et cornwall signifie une "entité" similaire (c'est a dire une région de la bretagne et de la grande bretagne)

Pourquoi ne pas faire de rapprochement entre wall= le mur et ouaille=brebis (uniquement utilisé maintenant dans le sens religion)
Encore une autre racine française pour un mot anglais?
(comme 60% des autres)

Can someone help me with what this person is suggesting? Are they saying that the "wall" part of Cornwall might mean "sheep" or "flock" or something?
Hatty
Site Admin

Pourquoi ne pas faire de rapprochement entre wall= le mur et ouaille=brebis (uniquement utilisé maintenant dans le sens religion)
Encore une autre racine française pour un mot anglais?
(comme 60% des autres)

Can someone help me with what this person is suggesting? Are they saying that the "wall" part of Cornwall might mean "sheep" or "flock" or something?

brebis means ewe or sheep, ouaille sounds very like ewe or even wool but I can't see any direct link between wall and ewe/wool in English (nor between mur and mouton in French) ...you need to get Dan onto the case.
Rocky

Cornwall in French is Cornouailles. The "ouailles" part can sound like Wallis/Wallace if you pronounce it in an English. In French, Wallis is "Vallis" which means Welshman.

If Corn = crown, then I thought maybe Cornwall = Kingdom of Wallace. So I googled to see if there was ever a King Wallace somewhere, but there wasn't.
Ishmael

Rocky wrote:
...Cornwall might mean "sheep" or "flock" or something?

I don't suppose it means Shorn-Wool???
Hatty
Site Admin

Cornwall in French is Cornouailles. The "ouailles" part can sound like Wallis/Wallace if you pronounce it in an English. In French, Wallis is "Vallis" which means Welshman.

'Vallis' sounds like valley (French final 's' being silent) and we talk about Welsh valleys; if Pulp's right that 'corn' refers to gold, Cornwall is the gold valley. (The 'Cornouailles' flag shows a sheep with golden horns and hooves).
Ishmael

Pulp History wrote:
Cressa comes from the Greek word for Gold

Sounds more like "Crest" to me, which one would not be surprised to find is related to "Gold".

That would give you a Port Crest.

Is the area especially good for surfing?
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in