MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Varsity Blues (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Mick wrote:
Chad is our resident ironist.

No... The missus does the ironing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

He is not, as you can see, our resident humourist. PS I got fed up putting Angus's quotes in quotes. And paragraphing Britanicus, and spellchecking all the various dyslexics. And this in addition to being our resident polymathic genius. Which reminds me, I will be posting up an Intro to our forthcoming Global Warming DVD soon.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Cheer up, poppet.

We might not always do the right thing, but we still love you....
Angus McOatup

In: England

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Cheer up, poppet.

We might not always do the right thing, but we still love you....

Agreed !... Your Megalithic lecture was brilliant Mick...

If there's a Global Warming DVD coming out, it would be great if Mick could go on Question Time and 'do his stuff'...it'd make brilliant telly....can someone ring em up...?
Send private message Send e-mail
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Angus McOatup wrote:
I'm just about fully loaded with current academic art historical theory from the Renaissance, Romanticism, Neoclassicism, Impressionism etc. to the present (the renaissance wins hands down over the garbage of the present IMHO).

Hi Angus.

Wonder how much of the Renaissance art that currently adorns the walls of art galleries and palatial mansions of the wealthy was actually produced in the workshops of the old masters?

My suspicion is that almost all of this delicious eye-candy was produced in 'factory studios' from the Georgian period onwards, to meet the insatiable demand of wealthy patrons who needed to impress their peers.

With untold billions at stake it is unlikely that the truth about the endemic forging of art that went on will ever be revealed.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Don't forget Catherine the Great. She sent out teams of Russkies to scour Europe for stuff to fill her palaces with and ... by Jove ... it turned out there was all kinds of completely unknown masterpieces just waiting around ready to be discovered.

The Hermitage is full of them. I seem to remember (from earlier AEL musings) that they include the only illustrated version of Bede. "One illustrated Bede coming right up!"

The AE point by the way is that the Hermitage is never going to question its own stuff (it can only either be the same or go down in value, never up) and other museums are presumably in the same condition. But actually it's our own fault, we all like rare things -- the more the better!
Angus McOatup

In: England

Tilo Rebar wrote:
Angus McOatup wrote:
I'm just about fully loaded with current academic art historical theory from the Renaissance, Romanticism, Neoclassicism, Impressionism etc. to the present (the renaissance wins hands down over the garbage of the present IMHO).

Hi Angus.

Wonder how much of the Renaissance art that currently adorns the walls of art galleries and palatial mansions of the wealthy was actually produced in the workshops of the old masters?

My suspicion is that almost all of this delicious eye-candy was produced in 'factory studios' from the Georgian period onwards, to meet the insatiable demand of wealthy patrons who needed to impress their peers.

With untold billions at stake it is unlikely that the truth about the endemic forging of art that went on will ever be revealed.

You're totally correct of course....All the most famous artists had oodles of assistants working for them....eg Rubens would have assistants doing specific things such as drapery, jewellery, backgrounds etc and he's come in towards the end to swish a few strokes to make it a Rubens etc...this is why auction houses sell works as either 'autograph Rubens' ie a real one, or 'studio of Ruben's' or circle of Ruben's etc...so not really fakes....But yes there are tons of fakes out there. Reading Eric Hebborn's 'Drawn to Trouble' was an eye opener...He passed off dozens of fake old master drawings through the London auction houses in the 70's..presumably they're still out there.....come to think of it I seem to recall a story about Michelangelo replacing the old master drawings he was copying with his copies and then keeping or selling? the originals....
Send private message Send e-mail
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Tilo Rebar wrote:

Hi Angus.

Angus McOatup wrote:

You're totally correct of course....All the most famous artists had oodles of assistants working for them....eg Rubens would have assistants doing specific things such as drapery, jewellery, backgrounds etc and he's come in towards the end to swish a few strokes to make it a Rubens etc...this is why auction houses sell works as either 'autograph Rubens' ie a real one, or 'studio of Ruben's' or circle of Ruben's etc...so not really fakes....But yes there are tons of fakes out there. Reading Eric Hebborn's 'Drawn to Trouble' was an eye opener...He passed off dozens of fake old master drawings through the London auction houses in the 70's..presumably they're still out there.....come to think of it I seem to recall a story about Michelangelo replacing the old master drawings he was copying with his copies and then keeping or selling? the originals....

I like this...but I also like this.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24014186

Makes you think........about another layer....then another.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Ishmael wrote:
But you forget that virtuosos tend to be male, in every art and field. Females will fill the B sections. Males will play the solos.

Is that in Toronto? Round here, all the virtuosos are female. The males are relegated to drone worker roles.

#1 Son made a joke. The only male playing a solo is Hans Solo.
Boreades

Meanwhile, onto the planning for the launch of the New University of Applied Epistemology.

You might be thinking to yourself: Hang on, don't we have to be accredited and licensed and stuff like that to call ourselves a University?

Thereby hangs a tale. As part of our Continuous Professional Development (CPD) during Lockdown, we have been encouraged to do more Studying From Home. It does make a change from the Working From Home. Which, in relation to Data Science (and the tools of the trade) led me to looking at the courses run by the Redgate University.

https://www.red-gate.com/hub/university

Is this a new Uni with lecture rooms, halls of residence, etc? No, it's not.

I did contact them to ask them how do you get to call yourself a University? Are you offering degrees? Their response has been that they are not offering degrees (therefore they are not regulated as a degree-issuing institution) and they are not charging money for these courses.

Apart from being amazed at what looks like an elephant-sized hole in the regulations for what constitutes a "university", I commend this to the house as a new role model for AEL.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's long been a grey area in Britain going all the way back to the days when you had to be Church of England (or Scotland) even to attend university never mind teach or get a degree from them. Then (I think) London 'University' started running non-conformist coaches and horses through it all. But how does the business model work if they don't charge money for their courses? Investigate, bursar.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
But how does the business model work if they don't charge money for their courses? Investigate, bursar.

The free education courses are all on how to use their software products. Which are licensed and sold separately.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Knock up a few software products, would you. Make sure they only run on an Amstrad. Then we can sell them Hatty's computer.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Jump to:  
Page 23 of 23

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in